Registering a Marriage...

Thanks Bill...Not exactly simple is it...Especially since we were married in Nevada and now reside in Wisconsin... :unsure: Maybe we'll just forget the whole idea... :ph34r:

1. Nevada...Easy....IMHO

A. Get (1) Certified Marriage Abstract or (2) Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate. I will assume you were married in Clark County (Las Vegas). I'm sure you already have one or both of these...required for AOS. If not you can get on web site and obtain...easy..14 days.

2. NOW, if the assumptions above are mostly correct, take A REAL ONE OF THE ABOVE, (not a copy) (now you know why you get more than 1 copy of the original) and $20.00 US FUnds (they say money order - but I think a check works - Check their Web SIte - sos.state.nv.us mail it to:

Secretary of State

Capitol Complex

Carson City, Nevada 89701

This will result in you having an "Apostille" that is mandatory to prove a marriage at a Consulate or in CHINA.

3. Next time you go to CHina - go to the Chinese Notary and have it translated/notarized. This will usually take about 1 or 2 days.

4. The reason you want this is not for the Hoku but for a VISA. You need to prove you are married. Married based Visa's (long discussion about this on CFL several months ago) can and do require proof of marriage. If you marry in China - then you have the Red Book for proof - if you were married in the US, you need a "CHinese' Proof.

5. I can also see "joint ownership" requirements, "inheritence" requirements, and other "legal issues" that might be assuaged with this document. I've been so advised by Legal Counsel within China.

We were married in Las Vegas - and it's exactly what we are doing - and intend to do on our next trip to China. We are not going to do it at the Chinese Consulate in LA -- too hard and too complicated. I will just get a simple "travel visa" (of course I will ask for multiple entry and 90 day stays - but they may not give it..depending) and when I arrive in China -- we will do 4/5 above for my CHinese wife's property, wills, and my extended visa. Best of Luck...it's doable!

You left out one crucial step.

After authentication by the State Secretary of State, you must have it further authenticated at the Chinese consulate serving the jurisdiction of issue of the certificate.

Without authentication by the Chinese consulate, in most cases the document is useless in China and will not be accepted by local Chinese authorities.

I'm not sure which Chinese consulate serves the Nevada area, but let's take the Chinese consulate in San Francisco for example. All you need to do is mail in your original document, a copy of this document, a copy of your passport or other identification and a check / money order for about $25. You also need to provide return pre-paid postage. A FedEx account number or pre-paid airway bill is sufficient.

GZBill;

Yea -- Your CORRECT......thanks for the reminder about the Chinese-Consulate "Authentication. San Francisco is the Place for Nevada - http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/qianzhen/gzrz/ . This is the link for SF and spells out what has to be accomplished.

Nevada SOS - http://sos.state.nv.us/business/apostille/index.asp

Also, they take checks, money orders, and credit cards. At the link above - print off a request form, sign and send off with the "certified marriage certificate.

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

Thanks Bill...Not exactly simple is it...Especially since we were married in Nevada and now reside in Wisconsin... :drunk: Maybe we'll just forget the whole idea... :beer:

1. Nevada...Easy....IMHO

A. Get (1) Certified Marriage Abstract or (2) Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate. I will assume you were married in Clark County (Las Vegas). I'm sure you already have one or both of these...required for AOS. If not you can get on web site and obtain...easy..14 days.

2. NOW, if the assumptions above are mostly correct, take A REAL ONE OF THE ABOVE, (not a copy) (now you know why you get more than 1 copy of the original) and $20.00 US FUnds (they say money order - but I think a check works - Check their Web SIte - sos.state.nv.us mail it to:

Secretary of State

Capitol Complex

Carson City, Nevada 89701

This will result in you having an "Apostille" that is mandatory to prove a marriage at a Consulate or in CHINA.

3. Next time you go to CHina - go to the Chinese Notary and have it translated/notarized. This will usually take about 1 or 2 days.

4. The reason you want this is not for the Hoku but for a VISA. You need to prove you are married. Married based Visa's (long discussion about this on CFL several months ago) can and do require proof of marriage. If you marry in China - then you have the Red Book for proof - if you were married in the US, you need a "CHinese' Proof.

5. I can also see "joint ownership" requirements, "inheritence" requirements, and other "legal issues" that might be assuaged with this document. I've been so advised by Legal Counsel within China.

We were married in Las Vegas - and it's exactly what we are doing - and intend to do on our next trip to China. We are not going to do it at the Chinese Consulate in LA -- too hard and too complicated. I will just get a simple "travel visa" (of course I will ask for multiple entry and 90 day stays - but they may not give it..depending) and when I arrive in China -- we will do 4/5 above for my CHinese wife's property, wills, and my extended visa. Best of Luck...it's doable!

You left out one crucial step.

After authentication by the State Secretary of State, you must have it further authenticated at the Chinese consulate serving the jurisdiction of issue of the certificate.

Without authentication by the Chinese consulate, in most cases the document is useless in China and will not be accepted by local Chinese authorities.

I'm not sure which Chinese consulate serves the Nevada area, but let's take the Chinese consulate in San Francisco for example. All you need to do is mail in your original document, a copy of this document, a copy of your passport or other identification and a check / money order for about $25. You also need to provide return pre-paid postage. A FedEx account number or pre-paid airway bill is sufficient.

GZBill;

Yea -- Your CORRECT......thanks for the reminder about the Chinese-Consulate "Authentication. San Francisco is the Place for Nevada - http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/qianzhen/gzrz/ . This is the link for SF and spells out what has to be accomplished.

Nevada SOS - http://sos.state.nv.us/business/apostille/index.asp

Also, they take checks, money orders, and credit cards. At the link above - print off a request form, sign and send off with the "certified marriage certificate.

Ah glad we got this last step down... :D I thought I could take it to the consulate in Chicago closest to where we now live... :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question....let's say you go through all of this, live in China with your wife and later, hopefully much later, something happens to her that ends her life. Now the question....if a foreigner can't own property without a Chinese citizen on the deed, and now that Chinese citizen is no more...this leaves you as sole owner of property that you aren't allowed to own.....what happens (or needs to happen) now? Does inheritance trump the "no foreigner" rule? Do you need to get a family members name on the deed, pronto? Anybody know?

I have a question....let's say you go through all of this, live in China with your wife and later, hopefully much later, something happens to her that ends her life. Now the question....if a foreigner can't own property without a Chinese citizen on the deed, and now that Chinese citizen is no more...this leaves you as sole owner of property that you aren't allowed to own.....what happens (or needs to happen) now? Does inheritance trump the "no foreigner" rule? Do you need to get a family members name on the deed, pronto? Anybody know?

Expats CAN buy property, but you must meet certain conditions first.

In the scenario you painted, the property belongs to the surviving spouse. You don't need your name on th deed. You only need your marriage certificate and your spouse's hukou book stamped deceased.

• 7 months later...