stimulus payment for the year of 2007

wife came here on march 2008 and we filed jointly for the year of 2007. Since she didn't have SS# by the time we filed our tax so we used a ITIN and because she didn't have a SS#, we didn't qualified for any simulus payment for the year of 2007. Now she has sucessfully got through the AOS process and obtained her greencard and a SS.

now i've got 2 questions?

1, How did we claim our stimulus money back for the year of 2007

the following is the link: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=181995,00.html

I just don't know how to process it.

2, for the year of 2008, when we file next year, do we need to tell IRS that my wife has gotten a SS# now and will be using that SS for the year of 2008, since she used her ITIN for 2007.

any opinions and helps will be greatly appreciated

You can file amended returns for 2007 using her new SSN. With an amended return for 2007 using solely SSNs, you'll get a stimulus check for TY 2007, albeit a bit late.

You can file amended returns for 2007 using her new SSN. With an amended return for 2007 using solely SSNs, you'll get a stimulus check for TY 2007, albeit a bit late.

No - look at the 1040 Instructions for 2008.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=464460

You will qualify for a "rebate recovery" - a credit equal to the amount of your rebate based on your 2008 situation

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Sorry Randy, that's yer interpretation of the instructions, not mine. What you've described in 'that link' has nothing to do with filing an amended return for TY 2007.

My CPA in Houston has already done this for 40+ couples this year, specifically to file amended TY 2007 returns with SSNs obtained in fiscal year 2008.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Q. If I currently have an ITIN and file my return using it but later this year get an SSN, can I amend my return to get the payment or will I need to wait until I file my 2008 return to claim it?

A. You will need to wait until you file your 2008 income tax return.

This was dated July 17, 2008 on the IRS website

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)