Green cards for her parents?

My wife and I were wondering about getting her parents a green card. She found out that we can get them a 1 year tourist visa, so the question is whether we can first apply for them to get the 1 year tourist visa and then while they are here apply for their green card. Does anyone know how this would work? Can we file an I-485 while they are here on a tourist visa or is that not allowed?

Edited by mandarinstudent (see edit history)

My wife and I were wondering about getting her parents a green card. She found out that we can get them a 1 year tourist visa, so the question is whether we can first apply for them to get the 1 year tourist visa and then while they are here apply for their green card. Does anyone know how this would work? Can we file an I-485 while they are here on a tourist visa or is that not allowed?

your wife can apply for her parents, but only after she becomes a usc. good luck.

If you are a U.S.citizen you must file a separate Form I-130 for each eligible relative. You may file a Form I-130 for:

A. Your husband or wife; B. Your unmarried child under age 21; C. Your unmarried son or daughter age 21 or older; D. Your married son or daughter of any age; E. Your brother(s) or sister(s) (you must be age 21 or older); F. Your mother or father (you must be age 21 or older).

They will not be able to file the I-485 because they are only here on a tourist visa. The 485 is for adjustment of status for an immigrant.

An immigrant is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. You must go through a multi-step process to become an immigrant. In most cases, USCIS must first approve an immigrant petition for you, usually filed by an employer or relative.

What follows is my opinion, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

Ya, sorry, that's mostly putting the cart before the horse.

SHE can apply for I-130 for her parents, NOW. But since she's not a USC, she'll have to wait 7 to 10 years.

The good news, is that WHEN she becomes a USC, she'll have her application moved closer to the front of the line (she'll have to remind USCIS that she's become a citizen, and will have to write some letters requesting queue movement).

As for the tourist thing - hey - if they get a set once, they can re-apply as well, be over here a few times whilst she's waiting to become a USC (which takes about 3.5 years from the first date of her first greencard).