My experience at the Beijing American Embassy

The first week of December my wife and I had business to conduct at the American Embassy in Beijing. It was my mistake to not make an appointment, so when we arrived at the east gate for American Citizens services we were turn away with information that we needed to have an appointment. We went accross the street to the UCB coffee shop to regroup. Made a phone call to the embassy and spoke with a chinese woman who after learning we were just at the east gate said maybe we could get a "walk in card" for people who didn't have an appointment. So we went back to the AC entrance and wife spoke to a security guard and we were promised a card for when they returned from lunch at 2pm. It seems from our conversatuion that in the morning there are 5 walk in cards available for people that don't have an appointment, and then the 5 become available again after they return fom lunch. Better to have an appointment, but good to know there is hope if you don't. The scan is of the card they gave us with the correct info to make an appointment

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q408/ltbadd/informationaboutBeijingUSAEmbassy.jpg

Priceless ! I love that expensive 'inked label' at the top.

Well, things have changed a lot in Beijing for ACS, ah? I dinna need any appointment last January - I do remember something changing recently (ok - 4 months ago?) but it was a notice at GUZ, with the 'notice' stating it was China-wide.

Welcome to BeiJing !!! I still find it d@mn funny that the consulate is caty-corner to The Silk Road 'tourist market'... It's always fun to go through there SOLO, then again with yer lass, to get the different 'responses' from the touts... Oh Boy...

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)