Hello All,

What is the difference between K3 and CR1? How do you file it together? I am a little confuse about this stuff.

Joe :lol:

CR-1 comes about because on an I-130 petition filed.

K-3 comes about because of BOTH an I-130 and I-129F being filed.

CR-1 - file the I-130

K-3 - File the I-130, wait for the NOA1 - then file the I-129F using the I-130 receipt number. No Fee for filing the I-129F for a K-3.

K-3 originally designed to 'get her here' faster, as a CR-1 used to take 1 year to 3 years, and a K-3 was taking 6 to 11 months.

These days, the time gap is narrowing. If you want to file solely the CR-1 - make sure you study James' Shortcuts on Visa Journey.

K-3 is a NON-Immigrant option that is offered to persons who file for CR-1or IR-1 spousal visas, K-3 involves first filing an I-130 for CR-1, and then filing an I-129F for the K-3 option after receiving the receipt for the I-130.

For the most part CR-1 tends to take about 30 days longer to process than K-3

If considering K-3 think carefully about it. CR-1 and K-3 tend to take about the same time, K-3 may save you about a month, however the K-3 has the added pain of adjustment of status, and it NOT a work authorized visa, so also has the added period of limbo waiting for EAD to be able to do things like take a job, get SSN, etc...

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

AOS: $1010

($1496)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

K-3 - must be married, ktmracer.

Yeah, I never knew what the difference was. But I did know the cost difference!

K-1 = Fiancee (Not Married)

K-2 = Child of fiancee

K-3 = Spouse (Married)

K-4 = Step Child

K-3 - must be married, ktmracer.

Yeah, I never knew what the difference was. But I did know the cost difference!

K-1 = Fiancee (Not Married)

K-2 = Child of fiancee

K-3 = Spouse (Married)

K-4 = Step Child

CR1 = tax exemption

CR2 = another exemption.

It sure was alot of nice amended tax refunds. Nice!

Hello All,

What is the difference between K3 and CR1? How do you file it together? I am a little confuse about this stuff.

Joe :D

CR-1 comes about because on an I-130 petition filed.

K-3 comes about because of BOTH an I-130 and I-129F being filed.

CR-1 - file the I-130

K-3 - File the I-130, wait for the NOA1 - then file the I-129F using the I-130 receipt number. No Fee for filing the I-129F for a K-3.

K-3 originally designed to 'get her here' faster, as a CR-1 used to take 1 year to 3 years, and a K-3 was taking 6 to 11 months.

These days, the time gap is narrowing. If you want to file solely the CR-1 - make sure you study James' Shortcuts on Visa Journey.

Hello,

So if I file the I-130 then the I-129F I am filing for both the CR1 and K3 correct? Thanks

Joe