RFE'd during AOS Interview

So my wife and I went to the interview yesterday. We had not 1, not 2, but 3 Officers interview us (2 were supposed to be only "observing", but that didn't last too long). Our interview was straightforward....the Officer asked my wife a whole slew of questions concerning how our relationship started, how i know she is the "one", what it means to be "married", etc. For a while there, I thought I was seeing a priest instead of an AOS officer. Finally he goes to our paperwork, notes that:

1. Our medical forms were not completely properly (doctor forgot to check off 5 boxes!)

and

2. I had no proof of residency (this is because i live in one of my mother's home).

He asks us to send these documents back to him via certified mail and "everything should be in order".

Strange interview to say the least, but should easily be able to complete his requests.

so your mother has multiple homes?

should be dead easy to shift over the utilties, make new accounts in your and yaya's names (jointly) to cover the 'proof of residence' .

I'm in shock !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

Just a bit of an update:

We should of known better, but we were RFE'd again by USCIS:

- need notarized copy of mother's residency letter

Our initial IO did not state it needed to be notarized (even when he queried him during the interview). We assumed he would be overlooking this case, but instead another IO (that's the 4th IO to look over our case) reviewed it and sent back an RFE otherwise. It's partially our fault, as we should of gone the safe route, but it is still a bit disappointing.

Moral of the story: if in doubt, just play it safe and notarize everything to avoid possible delays.

It's too bad that a state ID isn't proof enough of where you live... but who really keeps that up to date as much as the state requires. In Florida you have to update your license with 15 days of moving...

Anyways, the issue of notarization makes sense. that person is not there to swear by the statement provided...

I tend to think it's a good idea to notarize anything submitted which is someone else's word.

This should be taken care of easily... good luck.

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear everything worked out ok in the end. :)

It always amazes me how different things are, depending on where the interview takes place and who the IO happens to be. There have been quite a few here on the board that didn't even have to go through an interview for AOS. In our case, we had an interview (in Memphis) but it was a breeze.

Where did your interview take place? :huh:

Sure enough, today we received our AOS approval notice! Thanks for the help everyone! Compared to K1 filing, AOS was a breeze!

I hope everyone takes note of the optimism and realism.... two RFEs laters (aka. two denials later if a visa), it's called a "breeze" :rolleyes:

keep up the spirit !!! congrats :ph34r:

It's too bad that a state ID isn't proof enough of where you live...
Florida provides a County Clerk's Office notorized 'affidavit' of residence for a mere $15. It is usually used to establish Florida residency for Homestead Exemption Tax purposes after moving here from out of state. However, my wife and I filled one out so we would have it during the AOS process. more kitchen sink stuff....

Congratulations on making it through the process.

I hope everyone takes note of the optimism and realism.... two RFEs laters (aka. two denials later if a visa), it's called a "breeze" :huh:

keep up the spirit !!! congrats :blink:

We think that the AOS process is so much better. Not only is it much faster, but most of the process doesn't go into a black hole (a la the P2-P3 wait for instance). RFEs are also done in a very timely manner (we usually got answers back a couple of weeks). And since we got most of the necessary information up front from the K1 itself, there was also no need to data gather and go through strange Chinese government/notarization/medical offices. It also helps that we can do it together here in the USA and not absorb the difficult separation (like with the K1). Time really flew by fast!

Edited by yaya44 (see edit history)