We're blue

Hi everyone. We got blue this morning- the visa officer took all of our documents, but said that due to low and unstable income level (I'm a first-year PhD student), we would need to find a sponsor and mail in those supporting documents, such as another I-864. No other documents were listed as required.

Obviously, its a disappointment. My income was below the line by a few thousand, but my assets plus her assets put us significantly above the line. In any event, I guess it wasn't enough.

Any advice for the kind of time frame we are looking at until the visa is granted, assuming those documents are prepared within the next few days? Will there be another interview? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

-Ryan

No second interview for overcome evidence submission.

You need to read the blue slip to determine the procedure it can be: Call for appointment then drop off documents, or it can be instructions to mail in the required docs. I suspect drop off Joint sponsor I-864 and passport.

In this case after dropping off overcome evidence I suspect like an approved visa it gets mailed out of the consulate 2-3 days after you drop off what they are requesting.

Be glad it was blue and for financial and not relationship evidence.

Yes, we know the blues too...

And they are pretty quick.

If you can just get them exactly what they are asking for-- it'll be fine.

Be sure to read the guidelines very closely for providing a co-sponsor. I don't remember exactly where that info is...USCIS? Department of State website?

Does anyone else remember? It's where they have all instructions for the I-864.

Good luck and don't be too bummed.

The faster you can get that info to them, the faster the blue will go to pink!

:)

I believe we got the worst blue - communist party membership.

She had officially given up her party membership, had the documentation, and had not paid fees to the party in a year or so, but we still got the blue.

In our case they said there was no additional action or paperwork needed, but still she would have to be referred back to the states for more checks and processing - which I believed to be a minimum of 6 more months of waiting and a crushing blow to my girl, who had already waited one year for the interview.

The financial blue stinks, but I believe once you locate a co-sponsor you will not have much trouble and you should not have a 6+ month wait like we did.

Best of luck.

Guest Rob & Jin

I believe we got the worst blue - communist party membership.

She had officially given up her party membership, had the documentation, and had not paid fees to the party in a year or so, but we still got the blue.

In our case they said there was no additional action or paperwork needed, but still she would have to be referred back to the states for more checks and processing - which I believed to be a minimum of 6 more months of waiting and a crushing blow to my girl, who had already waited one year for the interview.

The financial blue stinks, but I believe once you locate a co-sponsor you will not have much trouble and you should not have a 6+ month wait like we did.

Best of luck.

Jason nice to see you back, so you got visa ? still blue on the timelines.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments! After writing the post at the top of this thread and seeing your responses, I felt a lot better, and we got right on top of sending the supporting documents. I think its best to be grateful for what we got...

Our financial supporting documents arrived in China while I was visiting for Christmas break, and we sent them in on December 21, 2008. Now the waiting begins once more, hopefully for the last time!

Anyone know how these things are handled once they approve the documents? Do they ask the passport to be sent? Or does it have to be handed over in person?

Thanks again for all the advice!

-Ryan

An update - i read here in your post that you were combining HER assets with YOURS. I learned last night that the benificiary's assets CAN be considered, but only at 1/5 of actual cash value. 1/5th !! that sucks !

I think after you send in your docs and if GUZ approves your visa, they will send you a letter asking your fiance/wife to personally go into the GUZ Bldg again w/ passport. I don't believe you can just send your passport to them. After that, you will probably follow the same procedure as if you got "PINK" at your original interivew. Fill out the slip for the Chinese Postal Service then wait a few days in GZ to pick it up in person.

Good luck and hopefully the wait will be short after GUZ gets your docs.

An update - i read here in your post that you were combining HER assets with YOURS. I learned last night that the benificiary's assets CAN be considered, but only at 1/5 of actual cash value. 1/5th !! that sucks !

Isn't this the same 1/5th that applies to the USC's assets? That is, the assets must be an amount that will cover 5 years at the poverty line (or in a combination of assets plus income)?

Isn't this the same 1/5th that applies to the USC's assets? That is, the assets must be an amount that will cover 5 years at the poverty line (or in a combination of assets plus income)?

The same? No idea - but this is where it's tricky and based on a time tick. Recently, assets were to be evaluated from the petitioner at 1/3rd . The reference I saw about the beneficiary was from the uscis notes on that longest 9FAM thingie, (notes, not the actual document) .

I have 'reportable income' issues, which I fixed last year with a 'cash asset' account pegged at 5 times (just to be certain) then I read the bits about 3 times...

From the I-864,

You may use the assets of the intending immigrant regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this form. Form I-864Ais not required to document the intending immigrant's assets
In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size. However,if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference

I don't remember seeing that factor of three for the USC and spouse/child before - but the factor appears to be the same for either the petitioner's or the beneficiaries assets.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)