more paperwork

First of all, my fiancee arrived safely at SF and was fully wound up despite not getting much sleep on the plane. Initial observations are that SF Chinatown has nothing in common with China and she can see why diet books sell so well here. The sun seemed brighter and she liked the trees here, Sacramento.

BCIS would not process the temp EAD but handed me the address to mail it to for K3'ers. K3'ers do not need a temporary EAD but just then the security guard announced that the building has to be evacuated, suspicious package. She was looking tired and I realized her body was drained eventhough her mind was wired. So I am here due to CANDLE LAG, the jet lag our fiancees and wives suffer and subsequent sleep giving us JM's time to post on Candle.

The BCIS office didn't really seem to know what to do but said they process the I765 with the I485 there together (hint?). From the net it seems I can send it to the Calif Serv. Ctr (CSC) and endure their 2 month processing time or take another shot at the local office after we marry, 2 more days. Or it's back to fighting with BCIS. I just want to get her into the BCIS computer.

Congratulations! Assuming that the two of you are sure you want to marry, I suggest you do so soon and try the local BCIS first.You can get this all done in other orders, but if you want it to go smoothly as possible, I suggest you do in this order:

1. Get married. It takes a week after marriage to get a certified copy.

2. File AOS and EAD, and (AP if needed).

3. Get SSN. She will need it for work, id, and driver license.

4. Get driver license learners permit.

5. Get lots of Tylenol and teach her to drive.

Of course procedures and timelines may vary slightly from one local office to the next. It took us about 1 week to get #2 and #3 accomplished.

Guest bbridges51

If you're in Sacramento (we're in Modesto), then you're attached to the SF service center. According to their web site, you can only mail the AOS paperwork. that's what we did in May. We received her EAD and AP about 6 weeks later.

She got here just in time for the change in weather. Mia's just endured her first valley summer.

Brian

Do NOT mail your I-485 to the CSC, they will only return it back to you. I live near the CSC, and I thought they process all I-485s for California, but they returned my application and instructed me to send it to one of the local field offices. Check the BCIS site for local field offices in your area that handle I-485s. And make sure to send the I-485 application fee AND the fingerprint fee.