I am planning to apply my parents to come to USA to visit us

I tried hard to find some information on how to apply my parents to come to USA to visit us, I did not get much information as I need .

how can I start to apply ?

how long it takes to get a visit visa ?

I think it is tough to get a visit visa, but anyway I still want to try our luck.

thanks for any information.

thank you very much.

NOTE: It is your parents that are applying for a visitor's visa, not much is done by US resident about this.

Hi Lisa,

I am doing the same thing. I am trying to get my parents here in July for our wedding. I think you need to ask your parents get the passports and then buy a calling card from CITIC bank to make an appointment. The next thing is to prove their strong tie with China which you can refer to Tine&Ella's explanation. I am on my way to fill out the DS156&157for them and then will write an invitation letter. I will follow the lists listed by Tine&Ella. It is of great help.

Hi Lisa,

I am doing the same thing. I am trying to get my parents here in July for our wedding. I think you need to ask your parents get the passports and then buy a calling card from CITIC bank to make an appointment. The next thing is to prove their strong tie with China which you can refer to Tine&Ella's explanation. I am on my way to fill out the DS156&157for them and then will write an invitation letter. I will follow the lists listed by Tine&Ella. It is of great help.

it is really help me a lot .

they are getting their passport.

I hope they can come here in May.

We currently have my wife¡¯s parents visiting us from China. It is their 3rd visit here in the US.

They had their interview at the Shenyang Embassy in Northern China. They have had interviews where they were turned down, so don¡¯t get discouraged. I think a lot has to do with the VO and whether he had a good day or not.

We have basically done the same things that were outlined in Tine and Ella¡¯s list.

After arriving on a 6 month VISA, around 3 -4 months into the visit you can apply for a 6 month extension so that they can stay longer if you wish. We did that the last time they were here to visit us 3 years ago.

Good luck with your interview. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

Andrew

I thought the visitor's visa is good for a year?

After arriving on a 6 month VISA, around 3 -4 months into the visit you can apply for a 6 month extension so that they can stay longer if you wish. We did that the last time they were here to visit us 3 years ago.

Andrew

Tourist (family visiting only - not business or student status) Visa is only for 6 months... :)

That sucks! Now I have to time it because I want my parents to come here in late July. If they make an appointment with the embassy now, they can probably get an interview in Jan or Feb. So by the time they fly, the visa will be expired! Hang on a second! Can they obtain the visa right away after they are approved? If not, how long do they have to wait?

I thought the visitor's visa is good for a year?

Andrew

Tourist (family visiting only - not business or student status) Visa is only for 6 months... :)

That sucks! Now I have to time it because I want my parents to come here in late July. If they make an appointment with the embassy now, they can probably get an interview in Jan or Feb. So by the time they fly, the visa will be expired! Hang on a second! Can they obtain the visa right away after they are approved? If not, how long do they have to wait?

Whoa, there! The visa is good for 6 months in the US. If they enter the US in late July, it will be good through Jan 2010. It may also be extended for another 6 months.

Someone else can tell you how soon after it is awarded that it must be used.

Are you saying 6 months is counted from the day they enter the US? I mean what if they are granted the visa in late Jan but they can't fly to the US until late July. Will the visa still be in valid by the time they can fly which is 6 months?

Whoa, there! The visa is good for 6 months in the US. If they enter the US in late July, it will be good through Jan 2010. It may also be extended for another 6 months.

Someone else can tell you how soon after it is awarded that it must be used.

Are you saying 6 months is counted from the day they enter the US? I mean what if they are granted the visa in late Jan but they can't fly to the US until late July. Will the visa still be in valid by the time they can fly which is 6 months?

Yes - but that's my question there that someone should know - how soon after it is awarded must it be used? That is, the expiration on the I-94 for length of stay will be 6 months after entry - making it good until Jan 2010.

Even if it must be used within 6 months, all you need to do is wait a couple of months before they apply. They'll still get (at least) the full 6 months stay)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)