Only 10% get visas?

Hello all,

I am new here, and first of all, I would like to thank all the people who post here for sharing all their stories, concerns and advice.

My SO is currently having her medical exam in Guangzhou. Aparently she was told by an embassy employee, that only 10% of interviewees end up with a visa. This number seems extremely low to me. I am hoping that she was either misinformed or misunderstood.

Does anyone here have a general idea about what percentage of people get their visas. I would like to be able to reassure her as her daughter will turn 20 on Dec. 16 and she is quite worried about any major delays.

Thanks

Tom

I wouldn't be surprised at 10%. They try hard to deny visas, even if everything is in order. They denied my fiancee because we met for the first time very close to the date of my divorce final decree.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rob & Jin

well the only stats we have to go by are here on CFL and here its considerably higher than 10% more like 70-80%. This probably reflects that CFL members are more likely to have their docs and supporting evidence in order.

After witnessing first hand how poorly some people prepare for the interview with incomplete documentation and little (if any) evidence of a ongoing relationship, I wouldn't be susprised if the overall failure rate is quite high., but as to only 10% getting pink, who knows except DOS GUZ and their bosses.

I am 52 and my wife is 47 now. I first met my wife online on 12-14-2008. We wrote many e-mails back and forth and I made one trip to China to meet her at the end of February 2008. We also talked on MSN everyday plus many e-mails and we took many pictures while I was in China. I applied for K-1 in March£¬Ying had her interview on 9=2=2008 and arrived here on 9-7-2008. We were married on 10-25-2008.

My point being I don¡¯t think it is a matter of how long you have known each other or how many trips you make to China. I believe as the poster before me said that a lot depends on doing all the paperwork right and making sure you meet all the requirements, paying attention to all the details. I have talked to a number of people that were denied and in most cases there has been something that they left out, or did not do or didn¡¯t think was important. What makes it hard is you are not told why you¡¯re denied in any detail so that you know what to correct it.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

... I don¡¯t think it is a matter of how long you have known each other or how many trips you make to China. I believe as the poster before me said that a lot depends on doing all the paperwork right and making sure you meet all the requirements, paying attention to all the details. I have talked to a number of people that were denied and in most cases there has been something that they left out, or did not do or didn¡¯t think was important...

From what I've seen here & in VJ, I have to agree.

I believe America is being well protected from people who cannot get their paperwork correct. :rolleyes:

... I don¡¯t think it is a matter of how long you have known each other or how many trips you make to China. I believe as the poster before me said that a lot depends on doing all the paperwork right and making sure you meet all the requirements, paying attention to all the details. I have talked to a number of people that were denied and in most cases there has been something that they left out, or did not do or didn¡¯t think was important...

I believe America is being well protected from people who cannot get their paperwork correct. :roller:

Not exactly true! There are those (including myself) that do get the paperwork right but other unknown issues pop up.

Hello all,

I am new here, and first of all, I would like to thank all the people who post here for sharing all their stories, concerns and advice.

My SO is currently having her medical exam in Guangzhou. Aparently she was told by an embassy employee, that only 10% of interviewees end up with a visa. This number seems extremely low to me. I am hoping that she was either misinformed or misunderstood.

Does anyone here have a general idea about what percentage of people get their visas. I would like to be able to reassure her as her daughter will turn 20 on Dec. 16 and she is quite worried about any major delays.

Thanks

Tom

I wouldn't be surprised at 10%. They try hard to deny visas, even if everything is in order. They denied my fiancee because we met for the first time very close to the date of my divorce final decree.

Be sure your SO is relaxed and confident as possible is all I could say at this point. If you have not already gone over a list of common interview questions with her, you should probably do that. If you don't have a list, just ask.

Good Luck ! You seem prepared. You will get the pink!

I believe America is being well protected from people who cannot get their paperwork correct. :happybday:

Not exactly true! There are those (including myself) that do get the paperwork right but other unknown issues pop up.

I am not saying there are not cases were everything is done right and there is still denial, only that in many cases it is true. I also believe that anytime you put people in a position of power some will abuse it if they don't have to worry about consequences to their actions.

I am 52 and my wife is 47 now. I first met my wife online on 12-14-2008. We wrote many e-mails back and forth and I made one trip to China to meet her at the end of February 2008. We also talked on MSN everyday plus many e-mails and we took many pictures while I was in China. I applied for K-1 in March£¬Ying had her interview on 9=2=2008 and arrived here on 9-7-2008. We were married on 10-25-2008.

My point being I don¡¯t think it is a matter of how long you have known each other or how many trips you make to China. I believe as the poster before me said that a lot depends on doing all the paperwork right and making sure you meet all the requirements, paying attention to all the details. I have talked to a number of people that were denied and in most cases there has been something that they left out, or did not do or didn¡¯t think was important. What makes it hard is you are not told why you¡¯re denied in any detail so that you know what to correct it.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

Consider yourself lucky. I am organized and detail oriented with more documentation and trips to China than you and was denied. Although I don't have the final word yet on why we were denied, the only negative comment the interviewer had was about the timing of my divorce.

I get the impression that proximity of divorce and age differences are two of the bigger reasons for denial. If it's true that the interviewer has often made their mind up before the interview, then those issues should be addressesed beforehand if possible.

Tom B

I'd like to point out here that 'proximity of divorce' and 'age difference' are two issues that were 'approved' by the USCIS in that that information was available in the original petition, but can definitely enter into the picture of a denial at GUZ.

Front-loading doesn't erase issues, but, in my opinion, should be used to present a more healthy picture of the relationship, thereby putting it in the hands of the VO BEFORE the interview.

JMO

I get the impression that proximity of divorce and age differences are two of the bigger reasons for denial. If it's true that the interviewer has often made their mind up before the interview, then those issues should be addressesed beforehand if possible.

Tom B

I'd like to point out here that 'proximity of divorce' and 'age difference' are two issues that were 'approved' by the USCIS in that that information was available in the original petition, but can definitely enter into the picture of a denial at GUZ.

Front-loading doesn't erase issues, but, in my opinion, should be used to present a more healthy picture of the relationship, thereby putting it in the hands of the VO BEFORE the interview.

JMO

Very much agree !!!

Guest jin979

Tom B

JMO

Very much agree !!!

Roger did you front load AOS too ?

Edited by jin979 (see edit history)

Tom B

I would agree that a big age difference and recent divorce are two of the main reasons for denial. Ying and I are within 5 years of eac other in age, and while I was recently divorced I included lots of proof that we had been separated for over four years, and that the only reason for not being divorced before was separating our finances.

I do consider us very lucky to have gotten approved so easy after reading all the stories on CFL.

Tom B

JMO

Very much agree !!!

It seems to me, a sponsor's recent divorce is a very different kind of thing in what it implies ( about the sponsor ) than a huge age difference ( about the beneficiary ), and in that sense, one would want the former issue above the latter.

My strategy was to front-load, indeed, and I am confident that this will not prevent our visa.