Chinese Protest on Human Rights Anniversary

You're right, rogerluli. But only to the extent that the people must VOTE. 30% isn't enough. An informed and participating population is the key. I don't know if the American way would [or should] work in China.

... for now.

Maybe at some point in the future, but certainly not now.

And not so well here. I am always amused by our insistance on a multiparty system for other countries while we bolster our two party system at home. It is about power not rights.

Edited by Dan R (see edit history)
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on Nixon's black list in the 70's.

I knew countless people who claimed that they were on Nixon's enemy list. Is your name here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon's_Enemies_List

I didn't see it. Perhaps you meant the supplemental list assembled by Charles Colson and company:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_list_o...tical_opponents

...but I did't see your name there either; maybe you're covered by one of the organizations?

I know that I was really disappointed when I learned my name was NOT on the enemies list; I thought I that I had been a real PIA to the Nixon Administration.

...Dan and I were both involved in a protest movement that brought down a sitting president...

Do you really believe that Roger? The anti-war movement had nothing to do with Nixon's resignation - that was Watergate baby, burglary, erasing tapes, lying even to people who tried to help him and the media who hated Nixon as much as they love Obama.

. . . and reversed ouir foreign policy...

The anti-war movement was certainly influential in getting us out of SE Asia, but I don't know if I'd give the anti-war movement as much credit for that as you seem anxious to give it.

How is the daughter getting on with the wacky americans?

Daughter's doing fine and so is Mom.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the anti-war movement leading to Richard Nixon's resignation; I didn't then and don't now see it that way. Watergate did give the anti-war protestors one more reason to shout, scream, take illegal drugs and generally misbehave.

I knew countless people who claimed that they were on Nixon's enemy list. Is your name here?

I didn't see it. Perhaps you meant the supplemental list assembled by Charles Colson and company:

...but I did't see your name there either; maybe you're covered by one of the organizations?

I know that I was really disappointed when I learned my name was NOT on the enemies list; I thought I that I had been a real PIA to the Nixon Administration.

...Dan and I were both involved in a protest movement that brought down a sitting president...

Do you really believe that Roger? The anti-war movement had nothing to do with Nixon's resignation - that was Watergate baby, burglary, erasing tapes, lying even to people who tried to help him and the media who hated Nixon as much as they love Obama.

The anti-war movement was certainly influential in getting us out of SE Asia, but I don't know if I'd give the anti-war movement as much credit for that as you seem anxious to give it.

there was a list of student activists which black listed us from government employment for a number of years. My name was on it because of a visit to the White House as a representative of my college. I carried a letter from the faculty as far as they would allow me, which was the front guard house. An Aide to Nixon met with me. I also was watched because of leading some of the post Kent State protest in Ohio.

This list was given as the reason I did not get a job after grad school. Perhaps not THE LIST but it was referred to as Nixon's UnAmericans List. It was about the size of a town's phone book.

Actually Steve when I wrote that I was thinking of LBJ... :clapping: But I did not phrase it properly... :clapping: So sue me... :clapping:

. . . Perhaps not THE LIST but it was referred to as Nixon's UnAmericans List. It was about the size of a town's phone book.

While I remember hearing about Nixon's "UnAmericans List" in the 70's, the list you are referring to was developed when he was on the Un-American Affairs Committee in Congress back in 1947.

To the best of my knowledge, the list you're talking about was a complete media-created myth that became part of the anti-war movement legend. You are not alone in believing you did not get a job out of grad school because of "the list." It was a pretty common excuse not to hire someone when their anti-war activities were well known.

If the list exists (which I doubt) it would be in the National Archives and on the web.

Actually Steve when I wrote that I was thinking of LBJ... :bleh: But I did not phrase it properly... :doorscared: So sue me... B)

I wasn't going to let you pull a fast one, Rog. There are lots of young people who think you know what you're talking about. :P

C'mon Steve... ;) Even "young people" aren't that stoopid... :cold:

. . . Perhaps not THE LIST but it was referred to as Nixon's UnAmericans List. It was about the size of a town's phone book.

While I remember hearing about Nixon's "UnAmericans List" in the 70's, the list you are referring to was developed when he was on the Un-American Affairs Committee in Congress back in 1947.

To the best of my knowledge, the list you're talking about was a complete media-created myth that became part of the anti-war movement legend. You are not alone in believing you did not get a job out of grad school because of "the list." It was a pretty common excuse not to hire someone when their anti-war activities were well known.

If the list exists (which I doubt) it would be in the National Archives and on the web.

That Un Americans List was McCarthy's. Nixon helped prosecute in California at the time. Bobby Kennedy was a legal aide to McCarthy. It was to flush out Communists.

That Un Americans List was McCarthy's. Nixon helped prosecute in California at the time. Bobby Kennedy was a legal aide to McCarthy. It was to flush out Communists.

I am afraid that's not quite correct. The House Un-American Activities committee which was established in 1937. By 1947, Congressman Nixon was on the committee and leading a subcommittee. He interviewed Whittaker Chambers, a one-time member of the Communist Party and the man who pointed the finger at Algier Hiss. By 1948, Nixon and Karl Mundt introduced legislation to communists to register and barred them from holding elective office. (Nixon's involvement made him a household name and in-part, prompted Ike to take him as a running mate)

During the Nixon administration, the House Un-American Activities committee was renamed to Internal Security Committee, but was dissolved after Nixon was out of office.

McCarthy and his list of communists didn't show up until 1950. During the McCarthy days Nixon was a Congressman and later the Vice President, although Nixon did attack McCarthy on instructions from Ike.