Tax Rebate

Wasn't sure where to post this.

Xuemei told me she heard of someone that didn't get the rebate check, because she had an ITIN number to filed taxes jointly when the wife was still in china, eveidently this person got a rebate check once she got here and received a valid SSN.

My wife is telling me to do the same. I looked on the IRS.GOV site and found this:

Q. If I currently have an ITIN and file my return using it but later this year get an SSN, can I amend my return to get the payment or will I need to wait until I file my 2008 return to claim it?

A. You will need to wait until you file your 2008 income tax return.

I couldn't get anyone on the phone from the IRS, just a recording.

I was thinking to file an Amended return to get my rebate. or do nothing and get my rebate when I file next year... some how, I'm leary that they would give it without me bringing it to thier attention.

Has anyone faced this situation?

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

A. You will need to wait until you file your 2008 income tax return.

They will include a worksheet which will (supposedly) allow you to claim the rebate at that time.

Randy, thanks for your reply... I just hope this will be good enough for the little woman... she says it to me everyday. :unsure:

NewDay - I've heard differently -

IE - later in the year, a SSN was granted, then the tax return filed as 'amended' - and the extra stimulus amount was awarded.

The wording is a little vague - it seems to talk about the case where the primary filer has an ITIN, and then later gets an SSN.

Your case is the other way around - the return would still be filed under the same SSN. It's your spouse who would get the new SSN.

At this point in time, though, I think I'd wait for the worksheet, which will be out at the end of the month.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The wording is a little vague - it seems to talk about the case where the primary filer has an ITIN, and then later gets an SSN.

Your case is the other way around - the return would still be filed under the same SSN. It's your spouse who would get the new SSN.

At this point in time, though, I think I'd wait for the worksheet, which will be out at the end of the month.

Randy, you say at the end of the month? The IRS' site says to file with taxes for 2008.

Randy, you say at the end of the month? The IRS' site says to file with taxes for 2008.

Well, yes!!?! Look at your calendar! :bounce8:

Find the worksheet (at the end of this month) that will tell you whether you can get the rebate with your 2008 taxes or not.

:lol: I'm aware what date it is.... I just felt you were implying the worksheet could be used naked without a tax return, since 2008 taxes won't be filed before at least 2 months from now, since I don't generally get a w2 until Feburary

:lol: I'm aware what date it is.... I just felt you were implying the worksheet could be used naked without a tax return, since 2008 taxes won't be filed before at least 2 months from now, since I don't generally get a w2 until Feburary

What I'm thinking is that you'll know when you check the worksheet whether you can get your rebate with the 2008 taxes.

If not, well, the only thing left to try is the amended return for 2007.

But I think the 2008 worksheet will be both simpler and faster.

• 1 month later...

Well, yes!!?! Look at your calendar! :D

:D I'm aware what date it is.... I just felt you were implying the worksheet could be used naked without a tax return, since 2008 taxes won't be filed before at least 2 months from now, since I don't generally get a w2 until Feburary

What I'm thinking is that you'll know when you check the worksheet whether you can get your rebate with the 2008 taxes.

just a quick question?

I've seen a thread somewhere regarding ITIN. Basically, when you obtain your new SSN , you need to inform IRS about the change, cos you won't be using your ITIN anymore for the next tax filing year. Is this true?....If that's true, how would you go about informing them?..call them or they would automatically know when you use your new SSN to file next year?.......please help clarify this, thank you ....

Well, yes!!?! Look at your calendar! :D

:D I'm aware what date it is.... I just felt you were implying the worksheet could be used naked without a tax return, since 2008 taxes won't be filed before at least 2 months from now, since I don't generally get a w2 until Feburary

just a quick question?

I've seen a thread somewhere regarding ITIN. Basically, when you obtain your new SSN , you need to inform IRS about the change, cos you won't be using your ITIN anymore for the next tax filing year. Is this true?....If that's true, how would you go about informing them?..call them or they would automatically know when you use your new SSN to file next year?.......please help clarify this, thank you ....

I'm not sure what Judge you are referring to.... there is no one yu will need to inform when you het you SSN is the IRS and maybe an employer if you have one

There is a form to fill out to let them know you have a SSN. I was told this when i was on a visit to their office recently. We were told my wife was not in system (although we had already sent in amended taxes w/ new SSN) and went downstairs to Social Security and they printed out a statement that verified she had a SSN. Brought it back upstairs and IRS updated the file.

There is a form to fill out to let them know you have a SSN. I was told this when i was on a visit to their office recently. We were told my wife was not in system (although we had already sent in amended taxes w/ new SSN) and went downstairs to Social Security and they printed out a statement that verified she had a SSN. Brought it back upstairs and IRS updated the file.

my question is, DO YOU HAVE TO LET IRS KNOW AND HAVE THEM UPDATE IT?...SHOULDN'T IT BE AUTOMATICALLY UPDATED WHEN YOU FILE YOUR TAX THIS YEAR?....