Removal of Conditions

Hi, you all. Long time no write but starting our new lives here in the US has been time-consuming, to say the least. Getting hepatitis the second week I was here ~ a parting gift from the P.R. ? ~ definitely didn't help.

Daoqun and I know we will have to complete an Adjustment of Status sometime, perhaps soon. We will have been married two years this May, 15, and the "two year" thing seems critical.

But the stuff we got from Immigration when we arrived talked about two years after the Conditional Permanent Resident status was conferred. That would make June, 2010, or 90 days prior to that date the critical date.

Which date is correct?

Also, how do you go about doing that and how much does it cost? I heard a figure of $1,000 bantied about.

If you have advice, direction or just a comment please write to my e-mail, OK? No Internet access at home . . .

A Merry Christmas to all . . .

Wally & Daoqun

Your signature shows DCF (CR-1 or IR-1) IMMIGRANT visa.

There is NO adjustment of status from an IMMIGRANT visa, you get green-card upon entry to the USA.

K-Visas require adjustment of status because they are NON-Immigrant.

As for removing conditions from a CR-Green-card, you do this within 90 days prior to the CR-Green-card expiration, (2 years after entry), you file I-751 along with evidence of bona fide marriage.

I-751 costs $545 to file. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thanks for the info. It all seems pretty clear now. We obviously have plenty of time to get things together and we should have the $545 by then if we save a couple of dollars a day from now on.

The "proof of a bona fide marriage" could mean a lot of things. I suppose presenting a joint bank account and utility bills in both of our names would suffice?

Hi, you all. Long time no write but starting our new lives here in the US has been time-consuming, to say the least. Getting hepatitis the second week I was here ~ a parting gift from the P.R. ? ~ definitely didn't help.

Daoqun and I know we will have to complete an Adjustment of Status sometime, perhaps soon. We will have been married two years this May, 15, and the "two year" thing seems critical.

But the stuff we got from Immigration when we arrived talked about two years after the Conditional Permanent Resident status was conferred. That would make June, 2010, or 90 days prior to that date the critical date.

Which date is correct?

Also, how do you go about doing that and how much does it cost? I heard a figure of $1,000 bantied about.

If you have advice, direction or just a comment please write to my e-mail, OK? No Internet access at home . . .

A Merry Christmas to all . . .

Wally & Daoqun

Thanks for the info. It all seems pretty clear now. We obviously have plenty of time to get things together and we should have the $545 by then if we save a couple of dollars a day from now on.

The "proof of a bona fide marriage" could mean a lot of things. I suppose presenting a joint bank account and utility bills in both of our names would suffice?

Two or more affidavits from close friends atesting to the bona fide relationship are essential.

From VJ:

7.8) ..What evidence should we submit?

A..The list is endless, and you can send whatever evidence you want to the USCIS (INS) in support of your petition. While overwhelming the USCIS (INS) is not neccesarily a good idea, sending them a complete and well rounded amount of evidence that gives them a full understanding of your case is a good idea.

Your list might include:

• You *must* include a copy of your I-551 green card as initial evidence.

• Bank statements showing both names.

• Insurance policies showing the spouse as beneficiary.

• Tax returns filed jointly.

• Loan payment papers showing both names.

• Utility bills addressed to either of you.

• Copies of tickets, boarding passes showing you traveled together (if you traveled).

• Birth certificates of any children born to you.

• Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship.

• Any other sort of common, ordinary correspondence addressed to either or both of you at the same address.

You may include a cover letter (see the example forms page) listing all the evidence so that the inspecting officer can quickly see what is in the package. This will help USCIS (INS) to determine if all the evidence which they require has been included without having to wade through many pages.

USCIS (INS) may ask for additional evidence after the petition has been filed, or they may schedule an interview for you some weeks or months into the future.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-re...itions.html#7.8