So I've been living in China for a little over a year. We plan to live with my parents until we can secure jobs and move out when we go to the US.
So I was wondering, what proof is best to show my residence in the US? We've got a letter from my parents saying that they will support us with a home and everything until we can support ourselves. Any words of wisdom are welcome!

Hey, I was in China for just under a year at the time of our interview, and directly before that, I was living in Japan for 2 years. I was scared $h!t-less about proving domicile. We had an entire folder of "domicile-ly" things. The folder was never opened during the interview, but it did put my mind at ease. These are the things I had in the file (goes to get the still unopened file lol)

1. Copy of my drivers license (I also had given him the real license at the time of the interview. I though it was good because it was recently renewed.)

2. Copy of my social security card and the original at the interview (This is probably a stupid thing to have lol but I gave it anyway)

3. Bank statements that had been accumulating at my parent's house that showed that money was still going into the account (my mom was putting money in) and coming out (I was using it all in China haha.) Also credit card statements from a Credit Union and then another bank.

4. A letter from the county of Hawaii elections division saying that I was a registered voter and that I voted absentee in the last election. (You really gotta bug them about the second part. They don't like to look up information like that lol. But the letter of being registered voter is easy)

5. I did not have any job offers, but I did apply to the local community college and had a copy of the acceptance letter.

6. A letter from my mom saying that she and my dad will support us

7. Taxes from the last 3 federal AND state returns (I figured that having state taxes would show that I was truly staying "loyal" to my home and still claimed it as my domicile)

8. A few random other letters (both personal and "generic") that had been sent to my home in Hawaii

9. Ticket stubs from 2005-2008 (the time I was living in Japan & China) that showed that I went back to my hometown about 4 or 5 times.

I think that was basically it. I can't remember if I had any other things there. If I had a car or a house (I did not) I would have put the deeds for those. Other than that, I can't really think of anything much. You should be fine, though. They never even asked my hubby about domicile...

Hey, I was in China for just under a year at the time of our interview, and directly before that, I was living in Japan for 2 years. I was scared $h!t-less about proving domicile. We had an entire folder of "domicile-ly" things. The folder was never opened during the interview, but it did put my mind at ease. These are the things I had in the file (goes to get the still unopened file lol)

1. Copy of my drivers license (I also had given him the real license at the time of the interview. I though it was good because it was recently renewed.)

2. Copy of my social security card and the original at the interview (This is probably a stupid thing to have lol but I gave it anyway)

3. Bank statements that had been accumulating at my parent's house that showed that money was still going into the account (my mom was putting money in) and coming out (I was using it all in China haha.) Also credit card statements from a Credit Union and then another bank.

4. A letter from the county of Hawaii elections division saying that I was a registered voter and that I voted absentee in the last election. (You really gotta bug them about the second part. They don't like to look up information like that lol. But the letter of being registered voter is easy)

5. I did not have any job offers, but I did apply to the local community college and had a copy of the acceptance letter.

6. A letter from my mom saying that she and my dad will support us

7. Taxes from the last 3 federal AND state returns (I figured that having state taxes would show that I was truly staying "loyal" to my home and still claimed it as my domicile)

8. A few random other letters (both personal and "generic") that had been sent to my home in Hawaii

9. Ticket stubs from 2005-2008 (the time I was living in Japan & China) that showed that I went back to my hometown about 4 or 5 times.

I think that was basically it. I can't remember if I had any other things there. If I had a car or a house (I did not) I would have put the deeds for those. Other than that, I can't really think of anything much. You should be fine, though. They never even asked my hubby about domicile...

Nice write up, xiaofeizhu....I take it you used your parents address as your american address?

Hope things are going well for you.

tsap seui

My husband lived in China for over 6 years when I applied for the visa. We used his parents address, which is also his permanent address. No problem for us.

Thank you very much Joanne. Thinking ahead to a future (2011) DCF application, I need to get some items sorted out in preparation. I own 3 cars, have multiple bank accounts, credit cards, etc., but have been wondering about a stateside address as I sold my two houses and now live in an apartment. Looks like I'll go with my original plan of claiming my dad's address as my own. It will also make it easy for him to get my mail. :)

Thanks again,

tsap seui