No SS card for son

My wife received her Social Security card a week ago, we didn't receive her son's yet. Should I be concerned ? If not, I guess I can contact the SS Admin office.

Does my wife need to do anything to be able to work since she has her SS# ? No rushm since currently she is studying for her learners permit... I guess we will have time to work on it together this weekend.

Seems that only the IR-1 Spouse tends to get SSN when the check box is checked on the DS-230.

If it has been 3 weeks or so since arrival, then go to SSA and order a number for your step son.

Nothing special needed to be able to work. The I-551 stamp in passport allows employment.

LIST A

Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Eligibility

3. An unexpired foreign passport with a temporary I-551 stamp

LIST C

Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility

1. U.S. Social Security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-9.pdf

Your wife meets the requirement of LIST A so nothing from LIST B OR C will be needed.

My wife received her Social Security card a week ago, we didn't receive her son's yet. Should I be concerned ? If not, I guess I can contact the SS Admin office.

Does my wife need to do anything to be able to work since she has her SS# ? No rushm since currently she is studying for her learners permit... I guess we will have time to work on it together this weekend.

Charles, I had the same thing happen to me, my wife received the SS card a couple of weeks before her son. So, I think you have nothing to worry about.As far as work goes I think she can start working immediately.

My wife received her SSA card by filing at the Social Security Office several weeks after arrival. Her card came in the mail shortly after. The office at the time said that her daughter could nbot receive her SSA number until after her adjustment of status. Was I "misslead".

We are K1/K2.

My wife received her SSA card by filing at the Social Security Office several weeks after arrival. Her card came in the mail shortly after. The office at the time said that her daughter could nbot receive her SSA number until after her adjustment of status. Was I "misslead".

We are K1/K2.

No. Just lied to, but they did let you apply, and get approved.

The clerks at the SS office often are not aware of the law regarding K-1's.

We are K1/K2.

NO ONLY K-1 can get SSN, K-2 cannot.

K-1 is not a work visa, it is a fiancee visa for entry to the USA and marriage, K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not.

Since the K-2 is not marrying and is NOT work authorized SSA will not issue SSN

THE OP "NewDay2006" is IR-1/IR-2 IR-Visas are IMMIGRANT visas so get Green-cards upon entry to the USA and as such can get SSN too. IMMIGRANT visas are work authorized.

Don't mention checking the box on the DS-230 to SSA or they will tell you to go home and wait for it in the mail.