China Irritated with ¡®Slanderous¡¯ U.N. Report on Rights

"systemic torture of political and criminal detainees"... :ph34r: Geez Bob and to think I thought that the Tibet issue was "too hot to handle"...you have jumped from the proverbial frying pan into the actual fire... :mobrun: but better you than me as the saying goes... :unsure: although I do note your NO COMMENT stance...

So does it happen??? :(

Certainly... :surprise:

Any more questions??? :smartass:

Someone should alert the Chinese gov't to the "Little Boy Who Cried Wolf" story. They react with the same vehemence and rhetoric to everything that comes out that's even slightly critical of their human rights record, whether it's a UN report or a Guns 'n Roses album. :(

The rest of the world stopped taking their angry denials and howls of bias and slander seriously a long time ago. Even if they're making progress in human rights now or do so in the future, there'll be a long lag time before most are ready or willing to give them the benefit of the doubt IMHO.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Boys, I just posted a link to an article about allegations and that the PRC said those allegations are total bullsh*t and they are p*ssed off about it.

I believe both sides were covered.

Can you say "Fair and Balanced"? :(

Ah you're way ahead of us "simple folk" Bob... :mobrun:

But to get back to the actual topic... :unsure:

I would strongly suspect that we have not yet heard from the other side of this issue... :surprise: An issue which I have always tried to overlook frankly but here it is... :smartass:

. . . Even if they're making progress in human rights now or do so in the future, there'll be a long lag time before most are ready or willing to give them the benefit of the doubt IMHO.

Agreed.

Both my wife's mother and father were sent away during the cultural revolution, so because I believe her I know such imprisonment took place.

...I just don't know what to believe about the present tense. My gut tells me that if that sort of crap were still common there would be more fear apparent in the people's behavior. Only once have I seen a Chinese person modify their behavior for fear of detection (and a cop was in view-and she was a bit of a scammer). I have talked with many Chinese citizens in public places about highly controversial issues and it's never slowed them down from expressing their opinions or lowered the volume on the conversation.

...in fact, I've never seen much sympathy for the high visibility targets that we hear about being imprisoned from the Chinese people that I know. There seems to be a "they know the rules and they broke the rules" attitude.

. . . Even if they're making progress in human rights now or do so in the future, there'll be a long lag time before most are ready or willing to give them the benefit of the doubt IMHO.

Agreed.

Both my wife's mother and father were sent away during the cultural revolution, so because I believe her I know such imprisonment took place.

...I just don't know what to believe about the present tense. My gut tells me that if that sort of crap were still common there would be more fear apparent in the people's behavior. Only once have I seen a Chinese person modify their behavior for fear of detection (and a cop was in view-and she was a bit of a scammer). I have talked with many Chinese citizens in public places about highly controversial issues and it's never slowed them down from expressing their opinions or lowered the volume on the conversation.

...in fact, I've never seen much sympathy for the high visibility targets that we hear about being imprisoned from the Chinese people that I know. There seems to be a "they know the rules and they broke the rules" attitude.

Yes I like that signature much better... :D

...The rest of the world stopped taking their angry denials and howls of bias and slander seriously a long time ago. Even if they're making progress in human rights now or do so in the future, there'll be a long lag time before most are ready or willing to give them the benefit of the doubt IMHO.
Yeah, I mean it's not like the PRC said that water-boarding was OK like some gumments have you know. :D

(Good, I gave Roggie something to :banned: )

B)

And this'll probably be relegated to Ye Olde Junk Heap. :D

I hate admit it Dave but I actually haven't lurnt how to move posts to the litter box as of yet... :P But I have figgered out how to DISCIPLINE PEOPLE... :P

But getting back to the actual topic its very unfortunate to read Steve using the "end of my nose" theory to justify what's going on... :P

:D

And this'll probably be relegated to Ye Olde Junk Heap. :D

I hate admit it Dave but I actually haven't lurnt how to move posts to the litter box as of yet... :P But I have figgered out how to DISCIPLINE PEOPLE... B)

But getting back to the actual topic its very unfortunate to read Steve using the "end of my nose" theory to justify what's going on... :P

Yeah, I thought our favorite expat had pretty much cornered the market on that. :P

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

If I recall correctly, every time the UN human rights report comes out, China is irritated with it and calls it slanderous. If I might venture to use a bit of clairvoyance, they will likely be irritated with the next one and call it slanderous. And the next one. And the next one...

If I recall correctly, every time the UN human rights report comes out, China is irritated with it and calls it slanderous. If I might venture to use a bit of clairvoyance, they will likely be irritated with the next one and call it slanderous. And the next one. And the next one...

This is what I'm sayin...