Has Anyone Flown Continental from China to Houston via Neward?

My wife is coming back from Beijing next Tuesday.

I called Continental, and they say she will go through Customs in Newark. That doesn't make sense: there is only a 1 hour 20 minute layover. There is no way she can get her luggage, go through customs, then get her luggage back on the plane for Houston.

So I called them back, and they say the luggage doesn't go through customs, just she does. I asked if she goes through customs again with her luggage in Houston, and they said no.

That doesn't make sense, either, because every time I've gone through customs, it is with my customs claim form, and if I don't answer the questions right, they search my luggage to see what I might be hiding, and pay duty on things if I have gone over the customs/duty limit. If they handle it the way Continental told me, then you would end up skipping this process.

I was trying to explain why that didn't make sense to me when they hung up on me.

Has anyone flown continental through Newark?

I called Continental, and they say she will go through Customs in Newark. That doesn't make sense: there is only a 1 hour 20 minute layover. There is no way she can get her luggage, go through customs, then get her luggage back on the plane for Houston.

So I called them back, and they say the luggage doesn't go through customs, just she does. I asked if she goes through customs again with her luggage in Houston, and they said no.

That doesn't make sense, either, because every time I've gone through customs, it is with my customs claim form, and if I don't answer the questions right, they search my luggage to see what I might be hiding, and pay duty on things if I have gone over the customs/duty limit. If they handle it the way Continental told me, then you would end up skipping this process.

I was trying to explain why that didn't make sense to me when they hung up on me.

I flew twice on Continental through Newark, and both times I had to hustle (hour and a half connecting flight).

I had to get off the plane, try to race through the rest of the process and then make sure my luggage made it to the proper place for the connecting flight, then you've got to race to your gate. You're dead tired, and it's a lot of territory to cover in a short time. Good luck to her.

tsap seui

Since you posted here also -

Of course, you're exactly right - you (and your luggage - which you carry past the customs official) - do go through customs. She'll go to a different gate and get on a different plane with a different crew - all this on a flight that Continental bills as a "direct flight".

Yes, that's a short layover, but she can make it if there are no problems.

In Houston, she'll land at the International Terminal E on a domestic flight. Separate from the International passengers, she'll walk a concourse to Terminal D, which is where the baggage pick-up is - that is where you would meet her.

Since you posted here also -

Of course, you're exactly right - you (and your luggage - which you carry past the customs official) - do go through customs. She'll go to a different gate and get on a different plane with a different crew - all this on a flight that Continental bills as a "direct flight".

Yes, that's a short layover, but she can make it if there are no problems.

In Houston, she'll land at the International Terminal E on a domestic flight. Separate from the International passengers, she'll walk a concourse to Terminal D, which is where the baggage pick-up is - that is where you would meet her.

It seems very iffy to me.

Nope, you're right.

I'm sorry for doubting you at all.

...I've just never been very impressed with the speed/efficiency of customs/POE in Honolulu; I couldn't see how it could work in 80 minutes.

But they swear that it goes very smoothly, so I guess we'll see.

The presence of a later flight does help calm my nerves somewhat.

If this is really a direct flight, then presumably many or most of the passengers will be hurrying to meet the departure time out of Newark. If the plane arrives late in Newark, one would think that Continental would adjust its departure time accordingly, so maybe it isn't as big a problem as it might seem to be. And yes, there are always more flights out of Newark on Continental.

Good luck with it.

I have never had any problems with customs taking long in Newark. But I also do not normaly check luggage. Getting your checked bags takes longer than customs in my experience.(remeber to take the train between terminals. walking requires more security checks.)

Most of my flights have gone well. this past visit was my first problem. I did not know the ticket window in Beijing was only open from 2 -3:45. Showed up at 4 for my 5 oclock flight and was greeted by a dark terminal. $250 to reschedule.

If this is really a direct flight, then presumably many or most of the passengers will be hurrying to meet the departure time out of Newark. If the plane arrives late in Newark, one would think that Continental would adjust its departure time accordingly, so maybe it isn't as big a problem as it might seem to be. And yes, there are always more flights out of Newark on Continental.

Good luck with it.

They call it a "direct flight", but the only thing that doesn't change is the flight number. The time we took it, there was a little confusion - the Immigrations officer had to come find me when he figured out Jiaying didn't speak English. We made it to the departure gate right at the scheduled time and had to sit at the gate for half an hour.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hey, I'm sorry I made a very poor reply to you. My girl and her son just came through Newark on Nov. 6. This is how it was done. They picked up their checked baggage and went through customs. After they were cleared, Customs sent their luggage back to Continental so it could be forwarded on to Norfolk. My girl and her son did not have to take it back to the airline themselves. They exited customs and we rode the shuttle to the proper terminal (Terminal A that day), and then we went through security with carry on luggage. We boarded the airplane together and came home.

Hey, I'm sorry I made a very poor reply to you. My girl and her son just came through Newark on Nov. 6. This is how it was done. They picked up their checked baggage and went through customs. After they were cleared, Customs sent their luggage back to Continental so it could be forwarded on to Norfolk. My girl and her son did not have to take it back to the airline themselves. They exited customs and we rode the shuttle to the proper terminal (Terminal A that day), and then we went through security with carry on luggage. We boarded the airplane together and came home.

Thanks. I hadn't caught that bit before about THEM sending the luggage on to the aircraft for you, if anyone else mentioned it.

Thanks. I hadn't caught that bit before about THEM sending the luggage on to the aircraft for you, if anyone else mentioned it.

Flying continental from Beijing to Newark To Virginia.

After laning in Newark you grab your checked luggage. You head through customs, Its wasn't a long wait. Then right after customs you go and stick your bags back on a conveyor belt and head to your next flight. Should be plenty enough time to get it done.

Everything went smoothly and she made it through customs and on the plane to Houston with no problems.

Many thanks for everyone's help/input.

Yes, this is what we did also.

We take this flight all the time ( we live on the east coast ) and works out great everytime.