Co-Sponsor I-134

Greetings,

I have a co-sponsor for my fiance. She is my sister, and filed her 2007 tax returns with her husband. So, they are joint tax returns.

Now, the question is, does my brother in law have to sign his own I-134 affidavt, or can he sign the one my sister signs? And or, does he have to sign one at all?

I have all paperwork: sister and brother in laws birth certificates, joint bank account statements, deed to house, and my sister's boss' letters/statements for employment and salary.

I need to know asap! Like today.

My number is <snip>. If anyone can either text message me, or even call, then it would be a big help. This paper work has to be sent out ASAP.

Thanks,

Erik

(personal phone number removed)

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

It sounds like the simplest thing to do would be for both to sign the same one. Otherwise, they would both have to split out their separate income.

If they don't won't to do that, that's another matter.

Thanks Randy!

I wasn't too sure abuot how the co-sponsoring should be. But, it would be safe to assume that since it is all jointly filed, and the deed, and everythign is in both their names, that only one person needs to sign it. But I will probably print two out, have them both sign one, and then have my sister sign another one. Just in case.

Peace,

Erik

It sounds like the simplest thing to do would be for both to sign the same one. Otherwise, they would both have to split out their separate income.

If they don't won't to do that, that's another matter.

Thanks Randy!

I wasn't too sure abuot how the co-sponsoring should be. But, it would be safe to assume that since it is all jointly filed, and the deed, and everythign is in both their names, that only one person needs to sign it. But I will probably print two out, have them both sign one, and then have my sister sign another one. Just in case.

Peace,

Erik

it would be best if they both signed the i-134, especially since they filed joint returns. this shows that both parties are willing to cosponsor.

I've never quite understood this "both sign" idea... it's a form with an 'oath' for a single signer... since when do we re-write the way it is filled out. I'd like to hear past positive examples before I endorse a "both sign" approach.

If there are past successes with this.. then follow it.. otherwise; have one fill out and sign; have that one show their income with a tax return and 1040 to show their share of income.

I've never quite understood this "both sign" idea... it's a form with an 'oath' for a single signer... since when do we re-write the way it is filled out. I'd like to hear past positive examples before I endorse a "both sign" approach.

If there are past successes with this.. then follow it.. otherwise; have one fill out and sign; have that one show their income with a tax return and 1040 to show their share of income.

I think that's what he wanted to avoid - splitting up the income - for expediency. Since there are 2 people involved anyway, it would seem to make sense to have both sign it, although maybe not necessary.

In the end... I don't answer for it.. neitehr do you.. in fact.. neither does he! Only she does! Get her to understand the complex double signature on a single signature form.. let the VO ask her to explain it while you sit back in the US on a post or two.. are you ready to fly to china to help her explain it in an interview?

These things can be handled quite easily - but that's a minor point behind what he's doing (or already done) - you and I can easily just disagree.

I'd love to hear how you easily explain to a chinese SO in the midst of an interview why there are two signatures on a single signature form? What exactly does she explain to a VO???

The bottom line is... make it as easy as possible for your SO.. otherwise it is SOL...

I'm beating a dead horse, but I was trying to keep it alive and kicking for a while...

These things can be handled quite easily - but that's a minor point behind what he's doing (or already done) - you and I can easily just disagree.

I'd love to hear how you easily explain to a chinese SO in the midst of an interview why there are two signatures on a single signature form? What exactly does she explain to a VO???

The bottom line is... make it as easy as possible for your SO.. otherwise it is SOL...

I'm beating a dead horse, but I was trying to keep it alive and kicking for a while...

i have a old copy (pre-2/2008) of the p3 and p4 from the guz site. one of the forms (the of-167) stated that when using a sponsor that is marrried both parties should sign the i-134. it makes good sense, especially if both parties are earning income.

Edited by dale7570 (see edit history)

What if the spouse is retired? My mom is our co-sponsor. My dad is retired so just my mom signed the 1-134 since it is her income alone that is above the requirement.

i have a old copy (pre-2/2008) of the p3 and p4 from the guz site. one of the forms (the of-167) stated that when using a sponsor that is marrried both parties should sign the i-134. it makes good sense, especially if both parties are earning income.