Where in the US to Move

Meelo,

I've thought about moving to Shanghai to be with my wife but I was afraid of the "above poverty income" requirement. If I was in Shanghai I would not qualify for the income requirement.

Can I ask how you are handling that while applying?

Are you working in Shanghai? I know I could easily work teaching English but that still would be below the poverty level.

Thanks

Also, has the insurance rates gone down as a result of the reduction in cars being stolen?

Edited by HaoRan (see edit history)
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

laurenamber,

how is the IT in your area? i'm a network engineer in nyc, so there plenty of IT jobs in nyc. i manage CISCO equipments.

The IT is actually really good, especially with CISCO equips. What kind of specific jobs ar eyou looking for? I'll let yo knwo what's available. Currently right now most places are on a hiring freeze since it's at the end.

As for Madison, inner Madison IS getting pricier, but once you hit County Line Rd which is on the line with Limestone, property gets REALLY cheap. But now are you looking for land or a home?

i am more on switches then routers, but i can handle routers too. switches are 4500 and 6500 series. any leads? thanks

Meelo,

I've thought about moving to Shanghai to be with my wife but I was afraid of the "above poverty income" requirement. If I was in Shanghai I would not qualify for the income requirement.

Are you working in Shanghai? I know I could easily work teaching English but that still would be below the poverty level.

Thanks

Also, has the insurance rates gone down as a result of the reduction in cars being stolen?

I think that living in China is a must for anyone marrying a Chinese person. I have been able to learn the language and the culture. The job thing sucks, but I do make over the poverty line. I teach English at Berlitz and make around 23-25000 a year. I know that it is not much but it is over the poverty line for my family of 3. In Shanghai, this is a lot of money for Chinese.

As for Phoenix, I lived in the Norfolk area in Virginia. I felt that the insurance was more expensive there. In both places I drove a Honda Prelude, which is a highly stolen car and also very expensive for a single guy to drive insurance wise. I felt that they were about the same price for both places.

I definately would not let this issue impact my decision to live there.

If you still are thinking about coming to Shanghai, I am sure that I can hook you up with a job at Berlitz.

Meelo,

Thanks

The insurance rates are going down but not a lot. Here is a website that provides insurance rates by state. It is mid-year 2007 report.

http://www.insurance.com/article.aspx/2007...eport/artid/542