Profession Alert

Hey all,

Have a question about visa review and decision making. My love stumbled across a post in 001 forum listing various jobs that are flagged and could potentially influence a denial of visa. Here is the (very short) list:

The State Department maintains a Technical Alert List, also known as the sensitive major list, to guide their evaluation of visa submission.

Sorted by rate.

CRITICAL FIELDS LIST

----------------------------------------------------------

A. CONVENTIONAL MUNITIONS

B. NUCLEAR TECHNOLOGY

C. ROCKET SYSTEMS

D. ROCKET SYSTEM AND UNMANNED AIR VEHICLE (UAV) SUBSYSTEMS

E. NAVIGATION, AVIONICS AND FLIGHT CONTROL USEABLE IN ROCKET SYSTEMS AND UNMANNED AIR VEHICLES (UAV)

F. CHEMICAL, BIOTECHNOLOGY AND BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING

G. REMOTE SENSING, IMAGING AND RECONNAISSANCE

H. ADVANCED COMPUTER/MICROELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY

I. MATERIALS TECHNOLOGY

J. INFORMATION SECURITY

K. LASER AND DIRECTED ENERGY SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY

L. SENSORS AND SENSOR TECHNOLOGY

M. MARINE TECHNOLOGY

N. ROBOTICS

O. URBAN PLANNING

Qiu's profession is listed under the last subsection, O: URBAN PLANNING, which states:

Expertise in construction or design of systems or technologies necessary to sustain modern urban societies. (PLEASE NOTE: Urban Planning may not fall under the purview of INA section 212 (a)(3)(a), U.S. technology transfer laws, or any other U.S. law or regulation. However, Urban Planning is a special interest item and posts are requested to refer such visa application requests to CA/VO/L/C for further review.) Look for technologies/skills associated with:

-- Architecture

-- Civil engineering

-- Community development

-- Environmental planning

-- Geography

-- Housing

-- Landscape architecture

-- Land use and comprehensive planning

-- Urban design

My question is...does anybody know how influential her profession will be to the consideration of denial for her visa? Does anybody else here have a love who did a similar profession? She lives in a small town in Guangxi Province (approx. population ~1500) and she does a lot of the listed items. Should we be worried about this, or is this a false alarm? Needless to say, we're both kinda anxious about this. Any comments, suggestions, or stories would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

Joe - google 'USCIS MANTIS' for further info.

FWIW, SheLikesMe? 's lass overcame a MANTIS check - just took some extra time.

Somewhere along this 'timeline' though - it'll be addressed, it'll come out in the name check, at a minimum.

Urban Planning in Shenzhen, for example, would have a much higher weighting (IMO) than Urban planning in a town of 1500. Different environs, different logistics, different resources for the actual planning.

Unless, of course, there is nuclear waste facility 10 miles up the road. Then, urban planning is really f'ing important in her town.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

My question is...does anybody know how influential her profession will be to the consideration of denial for her visa? Does anybody else here have a love who did a similar profession? She lives in a small town in Guangxi Province (approx. population ~1500) and she does a lot of the listed items. Should we be worried about this, or is this a false alarm? Needless to say, we're both kinda anxious about this. Any comments, suggestions, or stories would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

No issue at all unless she has broken a law in China that will forbid entry in the US. The only other item is admitting to being a member of the Communist party. Not a good idea.

Thanks.

Joe

No issue at all unless she has broken a law in China that will forbid entry in the US. The only other item is admitting to being a member of the Communist party. Not a good idea.

I think that there is a issue, like someone said read a few of shelikesme posts. Are you saying Jesse that a member of the Communist party or former member should not tell the VO that they are or were if asked ? I am sure that I really misunderstood what you posted. B) So I guess that your wife is still a Communist Member?

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

The fact of the matter is that some occupations garner closer scrutiny than others. If your sweet heart is a nuclear physicist, police officer or military personnel for instance they are going to look at her petition pretty close.

That goodness my hubby and i both have professions nowhere near those lol

Funny enough, she doesn't really like what she does. It wasn't her first choice of profession.....or second choice for that matter. :pash: As I understand it, or maybe misunderstand it....she was giving this profession because it was needed, not because she wanted it. :romeojuliet:

Her childhood job was actually to be a Chinese-English interpreter for books and people. Something I hope she wants to pursue when she comes to the U.S. I'm more than willing to help her in any way to achieve this. :rolleyes:

Just for the record...my love is a very very good girl. :lol:

No broken laws, no criminal record, no drugs, no swearing, no lying. The perfect woman!...IMO... :D She's an angel! :romeojuliet: :rolleyes: :pash:

She's also not a member of the communist party. :P

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I wouldn't think urban planing would be on the same scale as nuclear technologie. Besides in the end all you can do is prepare yourselves as much as possible and be ready to overcome what ever they throw at you.

Just for the record...my love is a very very good girl. :D

No broken laws, no criminal record, no drugs, no swearing, no lying. The perfect woman!...IMO... :P She's an angel! :angel: :blush: :wub:

She's also not a member of the communist party. ;)

All that will change when she gets here :roller:

The fact of the matter is that some occupations garner closer scrutiny than others. If your sweet heart is a nuclear physicist, police officer or military personnel for instance they are going to look at her petition pretty close.

My Yu served 3 years in the Chinese Army as a Communications Sargent, we noted this on her visa application, nothing became of it at all.

Military service is not a factor at all unless an officer requiring membership in the party.