Adopting wife's son?

Can I adopt my wife's son with the purpose of obtaining his citizenship earlier?
Another question..... My wife and I have been married since 4-29-2003, and she has been in this country since 6-2004. However she didnt receive her Green Card until 7-2007. How long before she can apply for her citizenship?
Will my wife lose her Chinese retirement money if she gains a US Citizenship? Is there a way to get both?

Thanks for any help, Patrick & Li

Yes, Lee fisher adopted his step son, and got citizenship for his step son that way, I believe the child needs to be under age 18 when you do this.

Your wife can apply for citizenship, within 90 days before 3rd anniversary of becoming LPR, this is 3 years after the approval date noted on the green-card.

Not sure about Chinese retirement though.

Can I adopt my wife's son with the purpose of obtaining his citizenship earlier?

Another question..... My wife and I have been married since 4-29-2003, and she has been in this country since 6-2004. However she didnt receive her Green Card until 7-2007. How long before she can apply for her citizenship?

Will my wife lose her Chinese retirement money if she gains a US Citizenship? Is there a way to get both?

Yes, Lee fisher adopted his step son, and got citizenship for his step son that way, I believe the child needs to be under age 18 when you do this.

Your wife can apply for citizenship, within 90 days before 3rd anniversary of becoming LPR, this is 3 years after the approval date noted on the green-card.

Not sure about Chinese retirement though.

Hey Patrick,

Dan already has you covered on most of your questions.

Regarding Chinese retirement and US citizenship, this is a topic that Haiqing and I have been discussing because she has a considerable amount of money put aside towards her Chinese retirement fund. Just last night we were talking about it again and she mentioned that the Chinese government may or has changed the law so that if you're a white collar worker you can't retire and collect until either age 60 or 65 (blue collar workers apparently are permitted to retire sooner because of the physical rigors of some jobs).

She has told me before that she can continue to make personal contributions to her fund (her company contributions will stop when she quits her job to move to the USA) which will increase her retirement benefits once she retires. From what she has told me before yesterday, she believed she could retire as early as age 50 and collect her retirement money. This was our original plan as she would be within 5 years of collecting her Chinese retirement and we would put off her becoming a US citizen until after she started collecting retirement benefits. Since the age has been moved back to 60 or 65 (she's still not 100% certain on this and she's checking it) we are looking at taking another course.

She seems to think that she won't be allowed to collect Chinese retirement benefits if she's a US citizen. We don't want to put off her becoming a US citizen for 15 or 20 years, consequently she will lose her Chinese retirement benefits. The other option she believes she has is to retire early when she quits her job next year and take a one time lump sum of 40% of the money that is now sitting in her retirement account. She doesn't like the idea of forfeiting 60% of her money but it's better than getting nothing! ;)

I'll try to remember to come back and post more when we get more info. ;)

Have a terrific day!

Bob

Adoption of a Step Child

Li has also contributed a lot to her retirement fund.

Originally, since she had been at the same company for 25 years, the company told her they would continue making payments for her retirement when she moved to America. However, if I understand correctly, they have rescinded that offer.

The new arrangement is: Her younger sister will make the payments to Li's retirement fund and we will reimburse her. I believe the payments will be completed on her 50th birthday.

Can my son apply for Citizenship at the age of 18, without his mother applying and without me adopting him?

Patrick

He can apply for Naturalization 5 years after his "resident since" date on his green card, the 3 year rule only applies to spouses of US Citizens.

So if he has been a resident since age 13, he can apply for citizenship when he turns 18, the other 2 options are you adopt or your wife becomes a citizen before he turns 18.

Can my son apply for Citizenship at the age of 18, without his mother applying and without me adopting him?

Patrick

He can apply for Naturalization 5 years after his "resident since" date on his green card, the 3 year rule only applies to spouses of US Citizens.

So if he has been a resident since age 13, he can apply for citizenship when he turns 18, the other 2 options are you adopt or your wife becomes a citizen before he turns 18.

Thank you Lee, Very helpful as always.

Patrick