• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

saw this program on PBS last year(BBC world news) I believe, so cant be true :D

What can't be true?

According to some on CFL anything shown about China by the BBC or PBS :ph34r:

Agreed. It's better to get your news from more objective and balanced sources.

:lol:

What can't be true?

and...what would those balanced sources be?

Guest ShaQuaNew

What can't be true?

Everything else...

;)

Here's the 60 Minutes article...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/06/...in4579229.shtml

As Pogo used to say..."We have found the enemy and he is us"... :clapping:

Sad, horrifc, disgusting...You make the call...I hope everybody watched this...And a big thanks to Dave for posting it...

Roger I can not disagree with you on the statement that we have found the enemy and the enemy is us America. These are the times that it shames me to be American. All in the name of making a dollar. :rolleyes:

Guest ShaQuaNew

What am I missing here? All this talk about enemies, and the enemies are us? People have been picking through garbage for thousands of years. As long as the world keeps producing it, then there will be people to pick through it.

What am I missing here? All this talk about enemies, and the enemies are us? People have been picking through garbage for thousands of years. As long as the world keeps producing it, then there will be people to pick through it.

Oh I don't disagree there. What I mean is if we took care of our own garbage others would not be hurt by it. Hell here in Michigan we have been fighting the battle to stop Canada from sending their garbage to American land fills.

saw this program on PBS last year(BBC world news) I believe, so cant be true ;)

What can't be true?

According to some on CFL anything shown about China by the BBC or PBS :victory:

:happy2:

Everything else...

:plane:

So this was CBS in case no one noticed... :happydance:

Here's the 60 Minutes article...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/06/...in4579229.shtml

As Pogo used to say..."We have found the enemy and he is us"... :victory:

Sad, horrifc, disgusting...You make the call...I hope everybody watched this...And a big thanks to Dave for posting it...

Roger I can not disagree with you on the statement that we have found the enemy and the enemy is us America. These are the times that it shames me to be American. All in the name of making a dollar. ;)

Corbin it is one rare day when I read a timeline but yours caught my eye... :happydance: Sorry for your troubles but glad to see that you are one of us pluggers who dusts yourself off and goes at it again...Oh wait of course...you're a GOAT... :happy2:

I feel ashamed of what some of my countrymen are doing for money, I don't know what to say.

It is shameful Michael... :( Letting another country be poisoned for our excesses... :lol:

One thing we can all do to help is to not run out to buy the latest and greatest electronic gizmo ever week... :huh: My home 'puter is 5 years old and it will be around until it dies a natural death...Would it be cool to have a new one??? Sure it would but I really don't NEED it... :unsure: and the planet doesn't need it... B)

saw this program on PBS last year(BBC world news) I believe, so cant be true :lol:

What can't be true?

According to some on CFL anything shown about China by the BBC or PBS :unsure:

:huh:

I assume you're joking Jesse. Because the BBC and PBS are universally respected as two of the most prestigious, objective and balanced news sources in the world. Same goes for 60 Minutes which, as Roger pointed out, was the actual source for this particular story.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Have you even watched the story Jesse? If not then your comments are ill-informed. If you have seen it then you obviously didn't understand the part of the story that angers the rest of us. So let me spell it out for you.

The main culprit in the story is some guy in Colorado who owns Executive Recycling. His website tries to elicit business by stating that other companies ship toxic e-waste to China where it's exposed to workers and the environment. His company, he claims on the other hand, keeps all of our toxic electronic waste right here in the good old US of A, where it is recycled legally and safely.

You see it's illegal to ship many types of e-waste overseas, including tvs monitors with cathode ray tubes, which contain large amounts of lead. So his claim is that his business is win-win for everybody. WE get to unload all our toys containing dangerous chemicals that cause cancer and mutations and stuff like that. HE gets to save the environment and make a little money at the same time. And CHINA is protected from more hazardous materials that otherwise would've been illegally shipped to their front door.

Just one little problem with our boy's claims about saving the planet. It's bullshit. Turns out that 60 Minutes tracked an overseas container filled with those lead-filled CRTs leaving his company all the way to Hong Kong. And before you bother to impugne CBS/60 Minutes integrity you should know this: Our own GAO just happened to be investigating the same company and conducted a sting that caught the guy trying to illegally sell thousands of CRTs to their decoy broker in Hong Kong.

So this is what most of us think makes this guy, and others like him, bad people and "enemies" of not only US consumers who are being duped into believing that our e-waste is being disposed of properly, but of poor, innocent farmers in China as well.

Hope this clears things up for you.