Different name when younger??

Ok, all,

My SO is telling me that in her Family Registration Book she has two names. One name she used through school all the way to college. The other she is using now that shes out of school and teaching kindergarten. She is wondering if this will be something we should concern ourselves with, and I am wondering if this is something anyone else here has dealt with? I know there is a line on the I-130 and the G-325A for 'other names', is this for the name she used through school perhaps? Also she is wondering if she should take steps to take my last name. I feel this is something that may complicate the paperwork for K-3. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Appaullo

it is not uncommon for chinese to have a 'child' name... and later as they are no longer a.... you guess... child... they use another name.

Stick to what's her legal and official name... she could be called alot of things in life... but stick to the birth document names.

As for other names... unless it was a legal name at some time, I'd call it a nickname and not include it...

When my finacee went to the interview, i forgot to list my chinese name on the sheet, that was a instant flag.

So as Marc ( the lawyer ) told me. This is his exact words.

Consulates cannot deny for reasons known to USCIS at the

time it approved a petition. So when you refile - it is VERY

IMPORTANT to explain everything to USCIS up front - in

the petition - before it is approved.

Guest ShaQuaNew

As some of the others have stated, stick to what's written on her official documents, passport, birth certificate, and so on. There is no need in complicating issues by presenting information that may confuse them. Best thing to do is keep it simple and straightforward. As long as only one name is used on her official documents, just use that one.

Hopefully you've figured it out by now. BUT - look at official documents, note the year the change was made. I had a good friend legally change her name after she divorced in China.

So as Lee mentioned - check the official documents - the easiest would be 1) original birth certificate and 2) current china ID card. Look for the discrepancy THERE. Find It ? Go back in time with her, ask for copy of that other china id card that had the previous name.

If she ever had a bank book - it has her legal name on it. Note when the names changed as well.

It's not that rare to have 2 legal names over time, during the past 8 years - it's just some paperwork for her to file to legally change it. If she actually CHANGED her name, there will be a legal paper trail. If it was never legally changed, then go by what's on the current china ID card and the original birth certificate (I'm thinking there are two official names) , note the two names, note the date of change on the G-325.

Good Luck !