Dentistry in China...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Last night, my wife told me that she was having trouble with one of her teeth. It appears that she lost a filling in one of her molars, and the tooth was hurting her quite a bit. This morning, she made a trip to a Chinese Dentistry hospital in Nanjing, despite my urging her to go to the Western dentist that we've been told about here in town. I'm no expert in Dentistry, but I believe that it's pretty well-known that the West has some of best dentists and offices in the world. Fortunately, our dentist provided my family with x-rays before leaving the US.

I spoke to my wife a short time ago, after she had finished waiting in line to see the dentist at the Chinese dental hospital. I warned her not to let them simply pull the tooth, as that seems to be the quick, cheap and dirty method employed in many offices. Sure enough, the dentist looked in her mouth for about ten seconds, and told her it needed to be pulled. I don't believe, but am not sure, that most Western dentists will pull a tooth unless it's absolutely necessary, but will rather choose to do a root canal, followed up by a crown. Certainly a longer and more involved process, but I think it's now the preferred way of dealing with damaged and broken teeth.

Like most Chinese, my wife is all about saving money for just about everything. This is a difficult one for me to negotiate, but fortunately, I talked her into visiting the Western dentist to talk about options and the reasons why.

I was wondering whether any of our members have experience with Chinese dentists, and have any thoughts or recommendations?

:coolthumb:

my only experience was with a dental surgeon in guangzhou, he redid my ex's teeth bindings...

she totally smashed her lower jaw, on a biking tour through italy. we spent most of the time in an italian university hospital, with 'the best dental surgeon' in the uni. He wired her jaw shut.

The chinese dental surgeon took one look at her bindings after we got back, and told her that it was a poor job. He redid her bindings (think of severe braces) and rewired her mouth shut.

For the most part, if you don't like one chinese doctor's opinion, go find another one. ya don't have to go western to get great dental care in china - just gotta find the right one that has the training you need and shares your same philosphy.

Big Deal - she went to see one doctor at one hospital.. pfffffffffht. get 4 or 5 opinions elsewhere, then maybe you can form an opinion about 'chinese dentistry' .

SLAN!

Guest ShaQuaNew

Big Deal - she went to see one doctor at one hospital.. pfffffffffht. get 4 or 5 opinions elsewhere, then maybe you can form an opinion about 'chinese dentistry' .

SLAN!

Right. That's what she's doing right now, shopping to form her own opinion. My opinion doesn't carry much weight, as it's her mouth and her teeth. She's very picky about them, and should be, she's got a great set of choppers.

;)

YSTBAI

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

---Update---

Lan just completed her fact-finding mission with the Western dentist. It's such a joy to see her discover on her own, rather than expecting me to be the kind of guy that tells her what to do all the time. She loves figuring it out on her own, and is a great people-person.

She had a great talk with the Western educated dentist, who told her that it would be best to save the tooth. He also told her it would be much more expensive to pull the tooth and have to later make a bridge. She made an appointment, but I think she will continue looking around a bit. This gal is a pill...

;)

Lu Li had dental work done in China just before she left. It was done at a large well-regarded medical facility in Foshan (almost a suburb of Guangzhou). It was totally botched. Our endodontist here, who worked in Japan and Hong Kong, said that dentistry in China is way behind.

I have been told that you can get good dental work done in Hong Kong or Macau... :angry:

Shaquanew - my apologies - I realized last night that my experience in China isn't your experience in China. We are basically throwing our difference experiences towards each other as GOSPEL - and I realize it's just a singular experience - not everyone will experience what yer going through, not everyone will experience what i went through.

I apologize, bow in the dust kinda thing...

Regards..

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Lu Li had dental work done in China just before she left. It was done at a large well-regarded medical facility in Foshan (almost a suburb of Guangzhou). It was totally botched. Our endodontist here, who worked in Japan and Hong Kong, said that dentistry in China is way behind.

I have been told that you can get good dental work done in Hong Kong or Macau... :rolleyes:

Roger, it's not hard to find Western dentists in the larger cities. Lan found three yesterday, all of whom were educated in the US. Very clean offices, with professional staff, and fully fitted with modern equipment and modern prices of course. She really liked one of the facilities, who will do a root canal and crown for about 5000 RMB, or about 730 dollars USD. This is extremely expensive by Chinese standards, so that office caters almost exclusively to Westerners. That price is in contrast to the dental hospital that would have pulled her tooth for about 90 RMB.

I have been told that you can get good dental work done in Hong Kong or Macau... :lol:

Roger, it's not hard to find Western dentists in the larger cities. Lan found three yesterday, all of whom were educated in the US. Very clean offices, with professional staff, and fully fitted with modern equipment and modern prices of course. She really liked one of the facilities, who will do a root canal and crown for about 5000 RMB, or about 730 dollars USD. This is extremely expensive by Chinese standards, so that office caters almost exclusively to Westerners. That price is in contrast to the dental hospital that would have pulled her tooth for about 90 RMB.

Whats wrong with the Chinese Dentists?

Guest ShaQuaNew

My dentist has been redoing the work my wife has had in China; mostly replacing old, metal fillings.

I asked him if the Chinese dentist did bad work and he said no, just outdated.

When most Chinese people need medical or dental care, they go to the medical or dental hospital, where they wait in line until they are called. The majority of these places practice questionable methods and techniques; as in my wife's case, the dentist looked in my wife's mouth for a few seconds, and told her he would pull the tooth. These facilities do not have the equipment or expertise to employ or perform modern methods.

However, Western dentistry and medical care is widely available, you just have to pay the extra cost.

Guest Rob & Jin

My dentist has been redoing the work my wife has had in China; mostly replacing old, metal fillings.

When most Chinese people need medical or dental care, they go to the medical or dental hospital, where they wait in line until they are called. The majority of these places practice questionable methods and techniques; as in my wife's case, the dentist looked in my wife's mouth for a few seconds, and told her he would pull the tooth. These facilities do not have the equipment or expertise to employ or perform modern methods.

However, Western dentistry and medical care is widely available, you just have to pay the extra cost.

not sure Jin would agree with that.

and she didn't go to a "dental hospital" for her work.

for me I think dentists are like car mechanics they can all fix your car but at greatly varing costs :lol:

Guest ShaQuaNew

for me I think dentists are like car mechanics they can all fix your car but at greatly varing costs B)

One thing for sure, as with anything, you have to look around. It's not as if you can go just anywhere. Bigger cities, have better doctors, and more options. But, with those options, it costs more money. Again, the prices are extremely high, and most Chinese are unable to afford it. And it's not just that. Most Chinese have no idea whatsoever the difference between Western and Eastern dentistry.

:(

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

for me I think dentists are like car mechanics they can all fix your car but at greatly varing costs B)

One thing for sure, as with anything, you have to look around. It's not as if you can go just anywhere. Bigger cities, have better doctors, and more options. But, with those options, it costs more money. Again, the prices are extremely high, and most Chinese are unable to afford it. And it's not just that. Most Chinese have no idea whatsoever the difference between Western and Eastern dentistry.

:(

So what is the difference?