10 things I love/like

Guest ShaQuaNew

Okay, my glasses are a little rose-colored at times, but here are ten things I like about China... :coolthumb:

1. Spike heels. Man, I just love these things. And Asian girls just know how to wear them!

2. Chicken Heads. Well no, not really. I do enjoy the look on the server's face when I ask them to remove the head from the chicken in my soup though.

3. Maidan. It never ceases to amaze me how everyone in a restaurant stops what they are doing, and first looks, then quickly comes to bring your bill; especially after you get confident enough to say Maidan loudly enough. You just don't get service in a restaurant like that in the US.

4. Fruits and Vegetables. They are just everywhere, and varieties that you will not find anywhere else. I love how you can take your time to pick through, and how many vendors will even help you pick the best ones. After all that work, they weigh it with their hand-held scale and give you the price.

5. Taxi Rides. I'm a maniac driver anyway, and I usually can never get there fast enough. Chinese taxi drivers satisfy my adrenalin addiction by finding every imaginable way on earth to beat the traffic.

6. Rock star stares. Being stared at, can take some getting used to. I've been learning to take this in stride, by believing that I'm an extremely good-looking rock star. I feel special.

7. Haircuts. After getting a wonderful scalp, neck, and shoulder massage, what can you say about someone spending more than one-hour to cut your hair for almost nothing.

8. Foot Massage. It hurts so good to be pampered.

9. Night time. Every night, Chinese cities come alive; especially on weekends. Night markets, bargains, and people everywhere.

10. Sense of Family. I've not seen more love an devotion amongst family members anywhere on earth.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Likes:

1. My Ting and her Family.

2. The social values of the family unit.

3. The respect shown to each other fake or genuine.

4. The variety of food and the freshness of it.

5. The rich culture and history

6. The rather unique ways of butchering the English language, it's often so cute.

7. The unbridled acceptance of new family members, my Tings family treats me like the son they quite literally never had.

8. The clothes, I simply love the clothes when I can find them in my size anyway.

7. The humor in general. It is an entirely unique perspective and very refreshing.

8. The ability of the community to band together and overcome adversity.

9. OK it may be a bit sexist or even racial but I have to agree, Asian women in general IMHO are the most beautiful and in general age very well.

10. The Beijing Airport, with exception of seating and water fountain availability if is truely a master peace.

My errr ahhh not so much, yeah...

1. The food recipes in general.

2. Cab drivers trying to rip you off or rude in general.

3. The Govt.

4. The Pollution.

5. Being overcharged because of my race.

6. The loss of face thing can get under your skin after a while.

7. The beds made of rock.

8. The human rights record.

9. The corruption at all levels, especialy in the health care professions.

10. The difficulty of finding a cold drink.

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Thanks for your positive contribution to Dave's thread. Just so you know, Dave was responding to a challenge to post ten things he liked about China. There is plenty of negative about China everywhere. Perhaps we can keep this on a more positive note?

Thanks for your positive contribution to Dave's thread. Just so you know, Dave was responding to a challenge to post ten things he liked about China. There is plenty of negative about China everywhere. Perhaps we can keep this on a more positive note?

One must learn to take the bad with the good, i think we should do both.

I think we should also do one on or SO's who moved to America, have them post 10 things they like and dislike so we can in turn learn more from each other. To post only positive things is turning a blind eye IMHO.

Okay, my glasses are a little rose-colored at times, but here are ten things I like about China... :angry:

1. Spike heels. Man, I just love these things. And Asian girls just know how to wear them!

2. Chicken Heads. Well no, not really. I do enjoy the look on the server's face when I ask them to remove the head from the chicken in my soup though.

3. Maidan. It never ceases to amaze me how everyone in a restaurant stops what they are doing, and first looks, then quickly comes to bring your bill; especially after you get confident enough to say Maidan loudly enough. You just don't get service in a restaurant like that in the US.

4. Fruits and Vegetables. They are just everywhere, and varieties that you will not find anywhere else. I love how you can take your time to pick through, and how many vendors will even help you pick the best ones. After all that work, they weigh it with their hand-held scale and give you the price.

5. Taxi Rides. I'm a maniac driver anyway, and I usually can never get there fast enough. Chinese taxi drivers satisfy my adrenalin addiction by finding every imaginable way on earth to beat the traffic.

6. Rock star stares. Being stared at, can take some getting used to. I've been learning to take this in stride, by believing that I'm an extremely good-looking rock star. I feel special.

7. Haircuts. After getting a wonderful scalp, neck, and shoulder massage, what can you say about someone spending more than one-hour to cut your hair for almost nothing.

9. Night time. Every night, Chinese cities come alive; especially on weekends. Night markets, bargains, and people everywhere.

10. Sense of Family. I've not seen more love an devotion amongst family members anywhere on earth.

Nice list Jesse. I gotta get me one of those foot massage thingies sometime. :angry: BTW, since Christine's still asleep, I can't ask her what maidan is. What's maidan mean? From your post it looks to mean "Check please"?

Nice list Jesse. I gotta get me one of those foot massage thingies sometime. :angry: BTW, since Christine's still asleep, I can't ask her what maidan is. What's maidan mean? From your post it looks to mean "Check please"?

Skip the foot massage (IT FEELS SO GOOD WHEN IT'S OVER BECAUSE IT HURTS SO MUCH WHILE THEY'RE DOING IT) and go for the full body massage Dave... :angry:

Okay, my glasses are a little rose-colored at times, but here are ten things I like about China... :angry:

According to my limited Mandarin thats exactly what it means.

Okay, my glasses are a little rose-colored at times, but here are ten things I like about China... :rolleyes:

Nice list Jesse. I gotta get me one of those foot massage thingies sometime. :lol: BTW, since Christine's still asleep, I can't ask her what maidan is. What's maidan mean? From your post it looks to mean "Check please"?

I thought it refered to the server... :rolleyes:

Dave,

Thank you for your list.I am hoping others to add more on the list, :D

Being Chinese, I am so proud.

My husband and I will go to Shanghai for traveling next month.

It is the right time for us to read your great post!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Amanda. :yay: Say Ni hao to Shanghai for us. :D Are you from Shanghia? If not, ever been before?

Hi,Dave

You are welcome. We will say hello to Shanghai for you.

I am not from Shanghai, :D

And it will be the first time for Richard and me to go there.

We are very excited to talk about traveling there!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Amanda,

I think you'll enjoy Shanghai very much. The obvious places to go are The Pearl Tower/Pudong area and NanJing Road. NanJing Rd at night is a must-see. :huh: I'd also recommend the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Center. I know the name sounds kinda boring. But it has a

huge scale model of Shanghai, present and future, that is really neat to see. There's also some exhibits that show the history of Shanghai.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Great list! I might have used different words, but the intent would be the same. ...mostly...I don't like the traffic thingy...even though I agree that it is entertaining in a terrible sort of way. :rolleyes:

Fortunately we took taxis/buses everywhere so my amusement definately came at the expense of others. :lol: If I had to drive in that it would be far less entertaining. :rolleyes:

Nice list Jesse. I gotta get me one of those foot massage thingies sometime. :rolleyes: BTW, since Christine's still asleep, I can't ask her what maidan is. What's maidan mean? From your post it looks to mean "Check please"?

Skip the foot massage (IT FEELS SO GOOD WHEN IT'S OVER BECAUSE IT HURTS SO MUCH WHILE THEY'RE DOING IT) and go for the full body massage Dave... :lol:

So I should spread the pain over my whole body? :rolleyes: :lol:

Okay, my glasses are a little rose-colored at times, but here are ten things I like about China... :rolleyes:

Nice list Jesse. I gotta get me one of those foot massage thingies sometime. :lol: BTW, since Christine's still asleep, I can't ask her what maidan is. What's maidan mean? From your post it looks to mean "Check please"?

I thought it refered to the server... :rolleyes:

So Christine is up now. She says it's actually Cantonese and means essentially "I want to pay the bill." Jesse can confirm this but she says the reason it's funny is because restaurants in China are usually trying to hurry you to leave after your done so they can move in the next customers. So they're a little surprised when you're actually ready to leave before they start nudging you toward the door. :lol:

Skip the foot massage (IT FEELS SO GOOD WHEN IT'S OVER BECAUSE IT HURTS SO MUCH WHILE THEY'RE DOING IT) and go for the full body massage Dave... :lol:

So I should spread the pain over my whole body? :rolleyes: :yay:

Yeah see you whole body can absorb the pain better than your poor little tootsies... :rolleyes:

Skip the foot massage (IT FEELS SO GOOD WHEN IT'S OVER BECAUSE IT HURTS SO MUCH WHILE THEY'RE DOING IT) and go for the full body massage Dave... :yay:

So I should spread the pain over my whole body? :rolleyes: :huh:

Yeah see you whole body can absorb the pain better than your poor little tootsies... :rolleyes:

Yeah, my tootsies are total wusses. :lol:

Nice list Jesse. I gotta get me one of those foot massage thingies sometime. :huh: BTW, since Christine's still asleep, I can't ask her what maidan is. What's maidan mean? From your post it looks to mean "Check please"?

Skip the foot massage (IT FEELS SO GOOD WHEN IT'S OVER BECAUSE IT HURTS SO MUCH WHILE THEY'RE DOING IT) and go for the full body massage Dave... :D

So I should spread the pain over my whole body? :rolleyes: :D

Yeah see you whole body can absorb the pain better than your poor little tootsies... :lol:

Yeah, my tootsies are total wusses. :lol:

My first time... :yay: I was just waiting for one of the little suckers to EXPLODE,,, :rolleyes: