Angry Eggs...

I surprisingly haven't seen any reference to this. You may consider it B) But, when discussing 'scandals' in China, I think this is important to remember.

All the information you have is being 'filtered' through the Western News organizations who have recently demonstrated a strong anti-China bias that has gone to the extent of blatant lies in their campaign to keep public opinion against anything Chinese.

Yes, there has been a melamine problem. Has it been as bad as reported? IMHO, probably not.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not so...All these stories are being widely reported in the Chinese news sources as well... :blink:

Exactly. Even the Chinese gov't is beginning to acknowledge the depth of this scandal (as reported in the Chinese medai) and to start down the road to correcting it.

IMHO this supposed anti-China bias in the Western media is way over-stated and too often a convenient meme to fall back on when folks don't happen to like the news coming out of China. Sometimes things ARE as bad as reported.

Perhaps. However, I've lost faith in the reliability of the news media. I'm now hopelessly jaded in that regard.

In any event, I hope China is able to enforce standards in industry through; legislation, regulation, rigorous inspection and quality controls. The threat of 'severe punishment' if caught 'cheating' is clearly not effective.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Perhaps. However, I've lost faith in the reliability of the news media. I'm now hopelessly jaded in that regard.

In any event, I hope China is able to enforce standards in industry through; legislation, regulation, rigorous inspection and quality controls. The threat of 'severe punishment' if caught 'cheating' is clearly not effective.

The people of China are working very hard to ensure the safety of their food, but as Joanne mentioned, it's quite tough to keep up with, but they are indeed making strong headway. China takes it's image very seriously, even though it may seem to many Westerners that it's never enough

The people of China are working very hard to ensure the safety of their food, but as Joanne mentioned, it's quite tough to keep up with, but they are indeed making strong headway. China takes it's image very seriously, even though it may seem to many Westerners that it's never enough

Forget the image... :P As a major food exporter China MUST get its act together WHATEVER IT TAKES to insure the safety of its food...Not to mention making it safe for its own people... :lol:

I did not mean to come off as critical of China's efforts. But, after re-reading my statement, I can see I should have taken more time writing it.

What I meant was: I know China is in the process of instituting modern and proven means of ensuring quality and safety. I understand that the rapid growth of the country's industries has exceeded the government's ability to legislate and enforce regulation. I wish China success in narrowing this gap rapidly and efficiently.

We have seen that punitive measures, even severe ones, leveled against those who undermine the world's confidence in Chinese goods is not an effective deterrent to others who see quick and large profit in activities ultimately harmful to all Chinese industries. I hope the need for such measures will be unnecessary in the near future.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I did not mean to come off as critical of China's efforts. But, after re-reading my statement, I can see I should have taken more time writing it.

What I meant was: I know China is in the process of instituting modern and proven means of ensuring quality and safety. I understand that the rapid growth of the country's industries has exceeded the government's ability to legislate and enforce regulation. I wish China success in narrowing this gap rapidly and efficiently.

We have seen that punitive measures, even severe ones, leveled against those who undermine the world's confidence in Chinese goods is not an effective deterrent to others who see quick and large profit in activities ultimately harmful to all Chinese industries. I hope the need for such measures will be unnecessary in the near future.

I didn't see you as being critical at all. You seem to have a good sense of both the people and the culture when it comes to dealing with something as important as the food supply in China. As you mentioned, they are making headway, and considering the scale it's just not going to happen overnight. I won't be soon enough for anyone, but to be sure by the time Roger moves here, if he does, things will be even better.

One thing for sure, is the people that live here, do watch the news and are keenly aware of what's going on. They are also quite sensitive to criticism. The quickest way to piss off a Chinese citizen, is to voice complaint about their country; again, I don't see you doing that. :unsure: A new generation is emerging that will rival and surpass the safeguard system used in other Western countries.

:D

I didn't see you as being critical at all. You seem to have a good sense of both the people and the culture when it comes to dealing with something as important as the food supply in China. As you mentioned, they are making headway, and considering the scale it's just not going to happen overnight. I won't be soon enough for anyone, but to be sure by the time Roger moves here, if he does, things will be even better.

One thing for sure, is the people that live here, do watch the news and are keenly aware of what's going on. They are also quite sensitive to criticism. The quickest way to piss off a Chinese citizen, is to voice complaint about their country; again, I don't see you doing that. :unsure: A new generation is emerging that will rival and surpass the safeguard system used in other Western countries.

:D

Thanks! I'm actually very supportive of China. :P

If the Chinese young people I know are any example: You're right! They're some of the best & brightest, and they're are very dedicated to improving and advancing their country. I think China's future is very bright!