How long does it take for back ground check?

Checked at all stages of the process.

http://usaimmigrationattorney.com/Security...tiveReview.html

At Consular stage, there are three (3) Visa Security name checks done: CONDOR, MANTIS AND MORE ANOTHER NCIC (via CLASS)

[Consulate has option, if warranted, to run full gamut of checks, such as CCD (past visa applications & results), TIPOFF (DOS Bureau of Intelligence), NAILS (Nat'l Automated Immigration Lookout System), TECS II (Treasury Dept. database), TSC & TTIC (DOS Terrorist screening)].

CONDOR refers to a check done mostly of information supplied on Form DS-157, and focuses on visa applicants with a potential terrorist, firearms or weapons background. CONDOR in most cases should be completed in 90 days or less. If not, contact the VO Public Inquiry line at Tel: 202-663-1225 or usvisa@state.gov

MANTIS refers to when potentially sensitive technologies might be used by the visa applicant in her visit to the U.S. If the visa applicant might employ a "critical-fields" technology in the U.S. which could have a "dual-use" such military or national security application, this check will be done to screen out a high-risk applicant. Most MANTIS checks can be done in 30 days. If not, contact the SAO Problem Resolution Unit at saoinquiries@state.gov.

NCIC (via CLASS) refers to the name check procedure done by the Consulate with the NCIC criminal database at FBI. This procedure screens visa applicants by name to see if there is a "hit" with the criminal database: that is, a person in the criminal database has the same or very similar name to the visa applicant.

Seems a bit strange. The background checks are normally done by the USCIS and NVC before they P2 is approved.

I've not heard of background checks being done by the consulate before the P4 is issued.

Steve,

GUZ tells me background check, DOS tells me P3 sent out on 9/18 still waiting for P3 return. This is hard to deal with. I was hoping we get interview dates by now.

Many of the time line shows 2 months between P3 sent to GUZ and Interview. Now it is already about a month. Looks like it going to miss the 2 month time frame. hehe

Joe

This is what I got when I email GUZ when I ask why it took so long for them before they even receive the P3 return:

This time period of receiving forms includes the time required for

security screening of the boxes, and then sorting and processing time

required by the Immigrant Visa Unit.

I wonder what do they mean by processing time required by the IV unit. So does that mean when processing is done P4 is ready?

Joe

Edited by orchids (see edit history)

Seems a bit strange. The background checks are normally done by the USCIS and NVC before they P2 is approved.

I've not heard of background checks being done by the consulate before the P4 is issued.

Steve,

GUZ tells me background check, DOS tells me P3 sent out on 9/18 still waiting for P3 return. This is hard to deal with. I was hoping we get interview dates by now.

Many of the time line shows 2 months between P3 sent to GUZ and Interview. Now it is already about a month. Looks like it going to miss the 2 month time frame. hehe

Joe

I wouldn't worry about what the DOS says. I am sure GUZ received your P3. DOS never acknowledged receiving my P3 either.

It seems they just need to finish the background check, then you'll receive the P4 ASAP.

I can't imagine they'll take too much longer.

Steve

Steve,

Joe

I wouldn't worry about what the DOS says. I am sure GUZ received your P3. DOS never acknowledged receiving my P3 either.

It seems they just need to finish the background check, then you'll receive the P4 ASAP.

I can't imagine they'll take too much longer.

Steve

Hello Steve,

Did they say when they send out P4?

Joe

you would think they could go online and with a flick of a mouse finger have the background check done.

but its probably gonna sit on someones desk for a while before someone gets around to raising a mouse finger.

not just yours but background checks in general...

they SUCK!! :rolleyes:

I called GUZ and they told me that they are doing a background check for the K1 and interview is not schedule yet. Any idea what does this mean as time wise? Thanks.Joe

It depends. What you're talking about here is where does your case fall on the standard bell curve. Only we don't know what everybody's background check times are. If you are lucky, you'll be right in the middle of the curve. If not- Some cases are on the 6 sigma end of the statistical chart. As in, one in a million.

Seems to me one guy's background check never did finish....

However, most checks seem to process fairly quickly. Check the timelines and you can extrapolate a reasonable "average" of times from stage to stage.

I called GUZ and they told me that they are doing a background check for the K1 and interview is not schedule yet. Any idea what does this mean as time wise? Thanks.Joe

It depends. What you're talking about here is where does your case fall on the standard bell curve. Only we don't know what everybody's background check times are. If you are lucky, you'll be right in the middle of the curve. If not- Some cases are on the 6 sigma end of the statistical chart. As in, one in a million.

However, most checks seem to process fairly quickly. Check the timelines and you can extrapolate a reasonable "average" of times from stage to stage.

I think Yuehan is right on. P3 to P4 is typically 1 month and you are still within this time frame.

At this point, making a lot of calls to GUZ is stirring up details of the process that are best not known. I'd wait a couple of weeks, then check with them again. You'll probably see the P4 very soon.

Edited by SteveK (see edit history)

I think Yuehan is right on. P3 to P4 is typically 1 month and you are still within this time frame.

At this point, making a lot of calls to GUZ is stirring up details of the process that are best not known. I'd wait a couple of weeks, then check with them again. You'll probably see the P4 very soon.

Hello Yuehan and Steve,

Yes, best thing I can do is wait. Hehe. My password is still not working so this is my account from home. Let see how long it takes from now hehe.

Steve, where is the wedding stop located at in Guangzhou maybe I have time to go there.

Joe

you cannot call GUZ direct its impossible.

visa information line is in shanghai and know nothing. you should be calling DOS in usa. :D

Hello,

DOS in USA is not consistance with what they tell me from my experience. The visa info center seems like giving me more detailed information as what is going on.

Joe

you cannot call GUZ direct its impossible.

visa information line is in shanghai and know nothing. you should be calling DOS in usa. :rolleyes:

Hello,

DOS in USA is not consistance with what they tell me from my experience. The visa info center seems like giving me more detailed information as what is going on.

Joe

As private contracted company used by GUZ for just scheduling overcome appointments . how do they know anything now, never did in past. ?