Funny Tasting Bananas

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

I've noticed that Chinese bananas have a funny after taste; well, at least they do to me. I asked my wife tonight whether she also noticed it. She said, "sure, that's why foreign bananas cost so much." Well hells bells. They say you are what you eat, I guess the bananas are eating something funny before they turn yellow. Oh well, if it don't kill you, it makes you stronger right?

:)

I've noticed that Chinese bananas have a funny after taste; well, at least they do to me. I asked my wife tonight whether she also noticed it. She said, "sure, that's why foreign bananas cost so much." Well hells bells. They say you are what you eat, I guess the bananas are eating something funny before they turn yellow. Oh well, if it don't kill you, it makes you stronger right?

:P

I noticed banana flesh is more dense than our western counterpart, but still delicious.

:ph34r:

I wonder how this affects the old saying:

That a banana taste the same going down as it does coming up!

:blink:

Man has been for centuries working on to improve plants. Dole and others have bred the perfect banana.This is a bit like a heirloom tomato vs a commerical tomato. A vast difference between the two. So goes the banana world also.Maybe you have eaten a "heirloom " banana. B)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heirloom_tomato

perfect for who the zhong guo ren taste bud or the mei guo ren taste bud?

why is it that fruit just tastes better in China?

Fresher. Fruit in the US tends to be shipped farther and requiring a longer shelf life.

So they'll tend (in the US) to pick them sooner (not letting them ripen on the vine) and ship using methods (including methane gas and waxing) to make them ripen more slowly.

One of the first things I did notice when I retired to Chengdu was that the bananas here definitely have more "banana" flavor than they did in the US. Also have not been able to find anything other than tart apples. Lao po always slices up some fruit for breakfast and sometimes an after-dinner snack; I'm bound to be healthier for it. If I really enjoyed writing (I'd rather have a tooth pulled) I'd have lots to say about our living and traveling in the PRC......

Guest ShaQuaNew

One of the first things I did notice when I retired to Chengdu was that the bananas here definitely have more "banana" flavor than they did in the US. Also have not been able to find anything other than tart apples. Lao po always slices up some fruit for breakfast and sometimes an after-dinner snack; I'm bound to be healthier for it. If I really enjoyed writing (I'd rather have a tooth pulled) I'd have lots to say about our living and traveling in the PRC......

Well, it's indeed nice to hear from you. I hope you will post more often.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Fresher. Fruit in the US tends to be shipped farther and requiring a longer shelf life.

So they'll tend (in the US) to pick them sooner (not letting them ripen on the vine) and ship using methods (including methane gas and waxing) to make them ripen more slowly.

There is surely a wider variety of fruits available in China. Many of the varieties available I've never seen in the US.

There is surely a wider variety of fruits available in China. Many of the varieties available I've never seen in the US.

Many of them ARE available, in Oriental markets, but not as fresh. I don't quite have the same urge to eat lychees here as I do there.