Moving or Retiring in China...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Great PRACTICAL advice... :blink: China will not be the pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow if you are not prepared for it... :ph34r:

Right, preparation is the key ... now more than ever.

And if you do find your pot of gold, great. Just understand that the chances of that happening are really, really minimal. Don't put all your eggs in the China basket.

When I made the decision to move to Chengdu, it was always with the belief that it would be damn near impossible to live on my $1306 SSA benefit in the US, but I could probably be comfortable on that amount here.

You've certainly made the right choice Bill... :lol: Not only do you get the benefit of the lower living expenses in China, you also get the added interest and stimulation of living in their culture compared to doing the same old, same old, in the US... :(

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great PRACTICAL advice... ;) China will not be the pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow if you are not prepared for it... :CopBust:

Right, preparation is the key ... now more than ever.

And if you do find your pot of gold, great. Just understand that the chances of that happening are really, really minimal. Don't put all your eggs in the China basket.

When I made the decision to move to Chengdu, it was always with the belief that it would be damn near impossible to live on my $1306 SSA benefit in the US, but I could probably be comfortable on that amount here. Because my US mortgage would chew up a big chunk of that, I decided it was absolutely necessary to sell my house and property and while I was at it, let everything else go with it.

Although I had never been to China before, when I was finished doing my research on the potential move and still living in the US, I met and co-habitated with a Chinese lady (Ming) from November 2004 to April 2006, who grew up in Chengdu. We would be married today if she had not lost patience with my divorce progress... but Ming had moved out and found someone new by the time I was free.

It turned out to be a cloud with a silver lining, because I later met Tianqiong and she has been everything I could have ever desired, both as a friend and a wife :D

I never expected a pot of gold when I planned my move to China, I just "knew" that if I was reasonable in my needs, it would be ok and maybe I could even put some money away for a rainy day. Tian has helped a lot by not being a "champagne girl". She has not had it easy during her life, and we are very happy with providing for her mother and paying on the "house" where her son lives with his grandmother. Our greatest joy are my wife's friends and family that we visit in the tea house, or trade off taking to lunch or dinner. I've posted in the past that I am teaching English, but it is only 5+ hours a week..... my choice..... after all, I am supposed to be "retired" (just celebrated b'day #63, and it was heartwarming to hear my kids that I teach, sing happy birthday yesterday).

I've had money in the past, but divorce does take it's toll. Happiness can't be measured in dollars (or RMB).... and I am happier today than I could have ever imagined. Just be realistic about one's needs and expectations, and all will be well. That pot at the end of the rainbow doesn't necessarily contain any bling-bling.

Good to see you're happily enjoying China, Bill & Tian. :) I like, and very agree with, you're laid back approach to the whole thing.

When I make it over, I certainly look forward to having "Time On My Hands"... ;) I've loved working, and being my own boss for the last half of my life....but like James Brown sings...."Poppa's got a brand new bag..." I so look forward to being with my wife and son, playing some music again,...etc....and to have time on my hands....to do as I DAMN WELL please.

TIME :blush:

I look forward to being a kid again....I'm born in the USA, I'm gonna have me a ball in Chinatucky with my lil' northern belle, Lil' Rabbit. :D

Best wishes to you both, Bill.

tsap seui

Guest ShaQuaNew

I never expected a pot of gold when I planned my move to China, I just "knew" that if I was reasonable in my needs, it would be ok and maybe I could even put some money away for a rainy day. Tian has helped a lot by not being a "champagne girl". She has not had it easy during her life, and we are very happy with providing for her mother and paying on the "house" where her son lives with his grandmother. Our greatest joy are my wife's friends and family that we visit in the tea house, or trade off taking to lunch or dinner. I've posted in the past that I am teaching English, but it is only 5+ hours a week..... my choice..... after all, I am supposed to be "retired" (just celebrated b'day #63, and it was heartwarming to hear my kids that I teach, sing happy birthday yesterday)......

....That pot at the end of the rainbow doesn't necessarily contain any bling-bling.

Thanks for sharing your story Bill. It's certainly quite doable for anyone with the inkling to make a life in China. Indeed, it's just not for everyone. Surprisingly enough, one of the bigger challenges I face, is with the lack of a common language. When you combine that with the extreme difference in culture, it can surely be intimidating. Fortunately, I have great support from my wife and daughter. None of this would be possible without them.

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)