Honolulu - POE

We just "entered" the US this AM, via Honolulu. Of course people couldn't be more friendly than in Hawaii -- but there are so many "Japanese" coming on vacation - it get's hectic - and sometimes little pieces of information are not conveyed.

I had decided on the plane - that I would in fact go with Jin through the "foreigners" side of in processing. What one should do in Honolulu, is go towards the #5 sign, which is on the extreme LEFT after entering the reception hall. DON'T GET IN ANY LINE. Go directly to the brown/wood colored desks and take out your package and lay it on the desk. If you have it in your hand, they will come to you. (I saw them re-direct about 25 Japanese visitors - so that they could process the 4 people besides us, that had envelops in their hands. Also, if you see a ton of people filling out GREEN I94 forms -- don't even think about it...not needed, wrong form. They provide a White I94 for immigration/K1.

The above - will save you at least 15 mintues. Once all the above was provided and straight - the Officer asked for the "Xray". I would've never thought to have it with us at the POE if I had not read it here on CFL. "Don't leave the home country without it".

The Officer - when complete - was about the most friendliest, helpful, and kind man (Japanese American) I have met lately (of course I've been in CHina for almost 2 years). He was very kind, respectful, and patient with Jin, and took great pains to ensure that we understood everything - and once he knew I was local - he used Hawaiian Directions - to ensure that I knew where each separate part of the ducmentation was kept - and why. (Hawaiian directions are sort of - next door to old Leper Hospital - or Ewa of resturant row - besides the dock wharehouses--have to have been here a long time to understand some of them).

The then gave us copies of all forms to file for AP, EAD, and AOS. I was pleasantly shocked - and he review our customs forms - i.e. asked the pertinent questions -- signed and stamped it -- THEN we gathered our luggage and each person after that just waived us through. Twenty minutes tops...took longer for me to get the rental car. (Long Story - gave my last car to my daughter and son-in-law as it was almost new, paid for, and just sitting rotting in my parking garage)

Jin's crashed -- she's never taken an overnight flight so I just moved on to hook up the high speed modem from Road Runner - and will move on to the HD and Music systems interface in a minute. JIN's has 3 or 4 "FIRST IMPRESSIONS" of Hawaii, (1) Beautiful water, sun is very hot, and flowers/trees very pretty, and why do we need 300 TV Channels - which include 45 Movie + 1 CHinese CHannel ? (2) 85% (her estimate) of all the people are Asian - it's just like being in CHina she says...(without the spitting, crazy driving, smoking, and littering - I say), (3) She was really shocked at the Ala Moana Shopping Center "Makai Market" (Food Court), several of every variety of Asian-Country Specific Fast Food - including "buns" just like in ShangHai, or An Hui -- which she declared to be appropriate for eating in the morning, (Wait till she see's Chinatown and 99 Market) and (4) "Everything is so Clean"....!

Sorry for the novel - really just wanted to let everyone know how to save some time at the HNL POE.

Hawaii Mike & NOW JIN

Mike,

Thank you so much for sharing. It sounded like you and Jin had started a wonderful life in the Big Island already. I've been to Hawaii a couple of times myself, I love there. I love the people, the view, the beaches, the foods....you name them all. Tell Jin to enjoy! =) Congrats and best wishes!

We just "entered" the US this AM, via Honolulu. Of course people couldn't be more friendly than in Hawaii -- but there are so many "Japanese" coming on vacation - it get's hectic - and sometimes little pieces of information are not conveyed.

I had decided on the plane - that I would in fact go with Jin through the "foreigners" side of in processing. What one should do in Honolulu, is go towards the #5 sign, which is on the extreme LEFT after entering the reception hall. DON'T GET IN ANY LINE. Go directly to the brown/wood colored desks and take out your package and lay it on the desk. If you have it in your hand, they will come to you. (I saw them re-direct about 25 Japanese visitors - so that they could process the 4 people besides us, that had envelops in their hands. Also, if you see a ton of people filling out GREEN I94 forms -- don't even think about it...not needed, wrong form. They provide a White I94 for immigration/K1.

The above - will save you at least 15 mintues. Once all the above was provided and straight - the Officer asked for the "Xray". I would've never thought to have it with us at the POE if I had not read it here on CFL. "Don't leave the home country without it".

The Officer - when complete - was about the most friendliest, helpful, and kind man (Japanese American) I have met lately (of course I've been in CHina for almost 2 years). He was very kind, respectful, and patient with Jin, and took great pains to ensure that we understood everything - and once he knew I was local - he used Hawaiian Directions - to ensure that I knew where each separate part of the ducmentation was kept - and why. (Hawaiian directions are sort of - next door to old Leper Hospital - or Ewa of resturant row - besides the dock wharehouses--have to have been here a long time to understand some of them).

The then gave us copies of all forms to file for AP, EAD, and AOS. I was pleasantly shocked - and he review our customs forms - i.e. asked the pertinent questions -- signed and stamped it -- THEN we gathered our luggage and each person after that just waived us through. Twenty minutes tops...took longer for me to get the rental car. (Long Story - gave my last car to my daughter and son-in-law as it was almost new, paid for, and just sitting rotting in my parking garage)

Jin's crashed -- she's never taken an overnight flight so I just moved on to hook up the high speed modem from Road Runner - and will move on to the HD and Music systems interface in a minute. JIN's has 3 or 4 "FIRST IMPRESSIONS" of Hawaii, (1) Beautiful water, sun is very hot, and flowers/trees very pretty, and why do we need 300 TV Channels - which include 45 Movie + 1 CHinese CHannel ? (2) 85% (her estimate) of all the people are Asian - it's just like being in CHina she says...(without the spitting, crazy driving, smoking, and littering - I say), (3) She was really shocked at the Ala Moana Shopping Center "Makai Market" (Food Court), several of every variety of Asian-Country Specific Fast Food - including "buns" just like in ShangHai, or An Hui -- which she declared to be appropriate for eating in the morning, (Wait till she see's Chinatown and 99 Market) and (4) "Everything is so Clean"....!

Sorry for the novel - really just wanted to let everyone know how to save some time at the HNL POE.

Hawaii Mike & NOW JIN

Aloha and welcome home Mike and Jin! I lived in Oahu for 12 years before moving to the Bay Area. I really missed the Aloha State...

IMO, Hawaii is the best place for your Jin to start her new life in U.S. As you've mentioned the food is great, people are very friendly and the weather is always fantastic even when it rains in Manoa. BTW, 99 Ranch Market unexpectedly went out of business last year March. I found that out when Emily and I visited Honolulu 3 months ago. Also, my all time favorite "Masu Massive Plate Lunch" restaurant closed permanently on 2/28/2007¡­very sad indeed. However there¡¯s still Zippy¡¯s and Sam Choy¡¯s ¡°Breakfast, Lunch and Crab¡±!

Mahalo Nui Loa...