question about cr1 vs k3

Hi, I know this may be a silly question, but I heard that with the cr1 you have to send the affidavit of support to the nvc. I was told that the NVC approves or denies the affidavit of support and at the actual interview they just check to see if the marriage is real or not but you don't have to worry about the financial side as that part was already approved. Is this true? Either way, why do you need to send the affidavit to the NVC but then have it again at the interview?

Thanks, I hope I made sense. :ph34r:

As I recall - the I864 is used for both the I-130 and the I-485 AOS package. The I-864 is filed stateside.

For a K-3, is derivative of I-129F, so an I-134 will be handed in at time of interview, along with any supporting financial documents.

But, for a K-3, you'd already have to file the I-130 and the I-129F.

When I first joined CFL, I stumbled across the ezfaq - I think it would answer your questions in more detail - have a look?

http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_EZ_FAQ.htm

But hei - it's a LONG read - the weekend is coming up - might be a good chance to have a read...

FWIW, sometimes the interviewee will bring updated I-864 to interview, in case a new tax year has occured since the date of original I-864 filing.

CR-1 The affidavit is I-864 which is a requirement for the eventual Green-card that is issued up entry to the USA.

K-3 Requires I-134 Affidavit of Support, this just shows that the NON-Immigrant will have support until Adjustment of status is approved, at which point the I-864 filed with AOS takes over.

Here is the big differences between CR-1 and K-3:

Consider carefully the K-3, in most cases it does not save much time, K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 cases were taking a very long time, this simply is not the case anymore.

CR-1 has the big benefit of GREEN-CARD upon entry, NO ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS. K-3 CANNOT get SSN, WORK, or Get driver's license until they have EAD or Green-card, EAD can take 90 days or MORE to get.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

AOS: $1010

($1496)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I an stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

Examples of K-3 Hassles:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33260

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32546

Hi, I know this may be a silly question, but I heard that with the cr1 you have to send the affidavit of support to the nvc. I was told that the NVC approves or denies the affidavit of support and at the actual interview they just check to see if the marriage is real or not but you don't have to worry about the financial side as that part was already approved. Is this true? Either way, why do you need to send the affidavit to the NVC but then have it again at the interview?

Thanks, I hope I made sense. :angry:

Anything can be brought up at a CR1 interview. Even the affidavit that was approved at the NVC is fair game at the interview. And yes even though the CR1 affidavit is approved at the NVC level, you still need to bring a copy to the interview. Make sense? No!!! But that is just the way it is.

Good luck!!!

From our EZ-FAQ:

National Visa Center (NVC):

In April of 1994, the Department of State opened a permanent Immigrant Visa processing facility at the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, NH. NVC processes all approved immigrant visa petitions after they are received from Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security (CIS) and retains them until the cases are ready for adjudication by a consular officer abroad.

------

For CR1 cases which pursue the I-130 filing, the I-864 is required and filed to NVC along with alot of other documents. Usually K# visas (I-129F petitions) spend a week in NVC while the I-130 will spent about 3-6 months depending on how quickly you correspond.

The NVC will rarely ever deny the I-864; they just accept it As-Is... that step is NOT an approval! If there is some problem, most likely you get blind-sided at the GUZ interview :huh:

In the event that you filed an I-864 to NVC and the interview happens to fall within the next tax year, then GUZ can request a current tax form and updated I-864.. .in this case, instead of being blind-sided with a blue slip, you should prepare it and have it available.