Shipping to the US

Hi everyone,

My girl is finally ready to send a bunch of her stuff to me before she comes. At first, we thought we would just use China Post and have it sent directly to my home, but she has enough stuff that she found it was going to be enormously expensive. Hence, she has decided to use a shipping company. So, the items will enter throught the port in Norfolk, Virginia. My question is how does she address it? Does she put my name and address on it?

I have checked out the rules on importation for a fiancee and my understanding is that her personal effects and household goods should not be subject to import duties, but I will have to go to the port to clear the items. So, I know she will provide a complete inventory when she gives the stuff to the shipping company. Should she also provide me with a copy of the inventory? I also read something to the effect that the carrier will notify the importer ( Iguess that's me) of the arrival of the goods. Since the carrier is a Chinese company, will they send a notice to me at my home. (She should be here with me before the goods arrive).

God what a headache!! I wish I could be there with her to do this in person, but it is not possible for me to go there at persent.

I am going to call the port and ask some questions too, but I would appreciate any information you can give me as well, so I don't feel like a total ignoramous when I try to talk to them. Also, please feel free to tell me more than I have asked if I have forgotten important thing that I will need to know.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My girl is finally ready to send a bunch of her stuff to me before she comes. At first, we thought we would just use China Post and have it sent directly to my home, but she has enough stuff that she found it was going to be enormously expensive. Hence, she has decided to use a shipping company. So, the items will enter throught the port in Norfolk, Virginia. My question is how does she address it? Does she put my name and address on it?

I have checked out the rules on importation for a fiancee and my understanding is that her personal effects and household goods should not be subject to import duties, but I will have to go to the port to clear the items. So, I know she will provide a complete inventory when she gives the stuff to the shipping company. Should she also provide me with a copy of the inventory? I also read something to the effect that the carrier will notify the importer ( Iguess that's me) of the arrival of the goods. Since the carrier is a Chinese company, will they send a notice to me at my home. (She should be here with me before the goods arrive).

God what a headache!! I wish I could be there with her to do this in person, but it is not possible for me to go there at persent.

I am going to call the port and ask some questions too, but I would appreciate any information you can give me as well, so I don't feel like a total ignoramous when I try to talk to them. Also, please feel free to tell me more than I have asked if I have forgotten important thing that I will need to know.

Thanks

Yes use your address but most importantly include your phone number.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps but wife mailed around 10 boxes

of clothes & shoes. Each were around 40 pounds each.

Cost was around 50usd for each box useing China Post.

All of them got here no problem right to our door on the

East Coast by usps. Dvds and items like that she could

not mail. No idea if a shipping company would be cheaper.

We live in NC but that was over a year ago.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Edited by JingJoseph (see edit history)