Walking Lessons,,,

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

So, you think you know how to walk, 'eh? I guess most of us have accomplished that challenge early on in life, but as most of us have seen, it's a whole new world in China. Here are some basic rules:

1. When walking on the sidewalk, look behind and in front for motorcycles, bicycles, construction, and street sweepers before you pass a slower walker on the right or left.

2. When crossing streets in rural areas, never cross at the street corner. First, find your way to the middle of the street, then, work your way across. Timing is important. If you step in front of a moving vehicle, do it with confidence.

3. When negotiating a passing move around slow walkers, remember, Chinese people never walk in a straight line. Be sure to watch them first to discover any kind of left to right pattern to avoid uncomfortable collisions.

4. Practice using your elbows, knees, and luggage in crowded places to ensure the sanctity of your personal space.

5. Make sure you look both ways before crossing a divided road. Many scooters don't have horns or lights.

---

Please feel free to add to the list...

:huh:

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

In China, the way cars "walk" follows similar rules. It seems your are getting quite comfortable negotiating the crowded street. congratulations! B)

Thanks Joanne. Yes, each and every day I learn.

Rule about cars: They do not / will not yield to pedestrians, at least if they are alone; so, make sure you are with others when in front of one. They worked long and damned hard to get that car, so get out of the way. :worthy:

Carry your bill fold and valuables in your front pockets.

Avoid stepping in flowing streams and puddles of water...

I walk to ESL with a younger Chinese friend each week. On the way she will avoid all water on the sidewalks, even if it is simply from watered lawns. I know the reason now - so obvious. :worthy: :worthy:

While in Nanning this year, I learned how important it is to always watch wherever you step, as there may be recessed pipes in an unsuspectimg gutter in a restuarant threshold or something jutting out into the sidewalk...you never know and if not vigilant and aware... B)

I walk to ESL with a younger Chinese friend each week. On the way she will avoid all water on the sidewalks, even if it is simply from watered lawns. I know the reason now - so obvious. :) :P

While in Nanning this year, I learned how important it is to always watch wherever you step, as there may be recessed pipes in an unsuspectimg gutter in a restuarant threshold or something jutting out into the sidewalk...you never know and if not vigilant and aware... :lol:

I saw this happenning in Philidelphia. The septic pipes were plugged below street level. wastes oozed out whenever there was a heavy rain. The apartment manager knew about it, but never got it taken care of to the date we moved out. :D

Well, maybe in the southern parts of China, but in the north, never had any problems. :blink:

The point, as always, is that it does happen. Any where anytime. Front pockets are better than back. Neither matters when they use a razor blade to slice open your pockets!

Our cell phone was stolen from us (yeah, in the south) from inside our backpack while we walked together down the street. Foreigners often lose their cell phones in that oh, so modern, belt mounted carrying case. Particularly on the bus.

A friend lost his wallet after a visit to a crowded theatre w.c. Yes, up North!

Be careful at all times.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I walk to ESL with a younger Chinese friend each week. On the way she will avoid all water on the sidewalks, even if it is simply from watered lawns. I know the reason now - so obvious. :alldone: :happy2:

While in Nanning this year, I learned how important it is to always watch wherever you step, as there may be recessed pipes in an unsuspectimg gutter in a restuarant threshold or something jutting out into the sidewalk...you never know and if not vigilant and aware... :sleep1:

I saw this happenning in Philidelphia. The septic pipes were plugged below street level. wastes oozed out whenever there was a heavy rain. The apartment manager knew about it, but never got it taken care of to the date we moved out. :roller:

Another important point:

After you step over the puddle, be wary of what lies ahead, instead of focusing on what you just missed. That large twig in front of you may not be a twig at all.

:roller: