N-400 Documents

We are getting ready to file the N-400 in December. We have already filled out all the information on the application and have gathered the documents required. I still have two questions however.

Q#1:

On the section on work and school, my wife is changing schools at the start of the spring semester. If she is starting her new school in January 2009, should she write that down on the application if it is sent in December?

Q#2

For the documents that need to be sent with the application, we are sending the following:

Copies of both sides of her green card

Two Passport style photos

Copies of our marriage certificate, both original Chinese version and notarized English translation obtained in China for her original US visa

Copy of my birth certificate

Copy of our son's birth certificate

A check for too much money

Are we missing anything?

Thanks in Advance!

Yes, you are missing quite a bit. Since she is filing two years early because of marriage to USC, you need to show a bonafide relationship exists. You'll need divorce decrees for both of you. Also don't forget to add financial ties like house deed, mortgages, leases, bank accounts, tax returns for three years and anything that ties the two of you together. I added copies of our credit cards, and utility bills with both names, besides the previously listed items. The copy of son's birth certificate helps seal deal, but the financial ties are a must.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

We only have tax returns for the last two years. The first year we lived with mom in USA and didn't file because we lacked income. This is our first and last marriage. (sure, everyone says that but it's really true!)

We do have a joint bank account, but they transposed her name by mistake. (family name first, given name last--Chinese Style) Will this have any effect on the process? We are thinking of omitting the bank statements and tax returns.

The USCIS website reads that you just need one of the following:

Documents referring to you and your spouse:

Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or

An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

So the birth certificate of our son should suffice, right? Financial records will not be necessary because we have the proof of our child's birth certificate for relationship status.