Get married in Hong Kong

Interview for what?

Dual citizen of what and what? (Doesn't matter)

K-3's interview in the country where they were married. All others interview in their country of citizenship, which would be Guangzhou.

Hopefully, your financier will approve the loan. ;) :huh:

Yo Randy - didn't the HKG IV unit stop processing K-3's this year? I swear I remember something said here on CFL about it - maybe 2nd quarter?

Yo Randy - didn't the HKG IV unit stop processing K-3's this year? I swear I remember something said here on CFL about it - maybe 2nd quarter?

the uscis office in hong kong closed. the hk consulate still conducts visa interviews for k's and cr1. however you cant do a dcf in hk anymore, it would have to be filed in bangkok.

the uscis office in hong kong closed. the hk consulate still conducts visa interviews for k's and cr1. however you cant do a dcf in hk anymore, it would have to be filed in bangkok.

Dale - that's it - no more DCF in HKG...

K-3's are still up, though - thats good...

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

As we were awaiting our interview in GUZ for a K1, I explored here and other places the alternatives that I could turn to, in the event we got blue or white in GUZ. HK for a K3 or DCF seemed viable based on language in several places. Expecially - the original DOS letter which said 6 months in the COUNTRY of filing, vice another cite which mentioned consular district.

Not wanting to confuse myself -- I reviewed the HK site, and then entered a 5 or 6 EMAIL exchange with HK Embassy reference DCF. As of 10 days ago their position is that you "can file a DCF in HK, but as has been said here - you must have a HK resident card (temp or perm) and you must have been in the HK SAR for 6 months (or MACAU - same issue -). I'm wondering, as in many other examples with our Government - we often might get differing answers from differing people.

They weren't buying my assertion that CHINA was the country and HK was part of China - therefore I should get credit for the country - as stated in the DOS announcement -- Basically they said Good TRY -- not going to work. Again, saying if you want to file DCF in HK, you must be a resident for 6 months.

As we "Pinked out" today -- I am in no need of this alternative, but my backup plan was a K3 in HK. Other members are using a HK lawyer to effect all the paperwork via the lawyer in advance of their arrival - so that they can arrive - be married in HK, go do a honeymoon, and then come back in a couple of weeks - pick up the certified copies - and file the K3 Paperwork. Cost about $3500 HK Dollars (I think its ~7.6HK to $1USD) for the remote service....includes the ceremony by the Lawyer (Civil Celebrant in HK Terms). Need about 6 weeks in front of the marriage date to begin the paperwork.

A quick review see's about 6 months begining to end with a K3 in HK -- minus any problems. (No 3 months sitting in a box awaiting Clearance delay in GUZ). We had no delays and it will be exactly 10 Months K1 USCIS file until we enter the US.

As we were awaiting our interview in GUZ for a K1, I explored here and other places the alternatives that I could turn to, in the event we got blue or white in GUZ. HK for a K3 or DCF seemed viable based on language in several places. Expecially - the original DOS letter which said 6 months in the COUNTRY of filing, vice another cite which mentioned consular district.

Not wanting to confuse myself -- I reviewed the HK site, and then entered a 5 or 6 EMAIL exchange with HK Embassy reference DCF. As of 10 days ago their position is that you "can file a DCF in HK, but as has been said here - you must have a HK resident card (temp or perm) and you must have been in the HK SAR for 6 months (or MACAU - same issue -). I'm wondering, as in many other examples with our Government - we often might get differing answers from differing people.

They weren't buying my assertion that CHINA was the country and HK was part of China - therefore I should get credit for the country - as stated in the DOS announcement -- Basically they said Good TRY -- not going to work. Again, saying if you want to file DCF in HK, you must be a resident for 6 months.

As we "Pinked out" today -- I am in no need of this alternative, but my backup plan was a K3 in HK. Other members are using a HK lawyer to effect all the paperwork via the lawyer in advance of their arrival - so that they can arrive - be married in HK, go do a honeymoon, and then come back in a couple of weeks - pick up the certified copies - and file the K3 Paperwork. Cost about $3500 HK Dollars (I think its ~7.6HK to $1USD) for the remote service....includes the ceremony by the Lawyer (Civil Celebrant in HK Terms). Need about 6 weeks in front of the marriage date to begin the paperwork.

A quick review see's about 6 months begining to end with a K3 in HK -- minus any problems. (No 3 months sitting in a box awaiting Clearance delay in GUZ). We had no delays and it will be exactly 10 Months K1 USCIS file until we enter the US.

It's good to read your thoughts and the realities you have found about filing in HK, Mike. I'm certainly glad you didn't need a back-up plan, but it's good to read your experience.

I had thought you were a DCF in China., shows how much 'ttention I pay sometimes, huh. :huh:

It looks like a DCF in HK is about the same timeline as a DCF in China, only the interview is supposed to be easier, and more humane in HK. ^_^

In future years we'll probably try a DCF IR-1...in China, God, I dread the stress of that, but our "back up plan of action is already pretty much in place at this time, the question is just which seaside town we'll live in.

Thanks for your info.

tsap seui

In future years we'll probably try a DCF IR-1...in China, God, I dread the stress of that, but our "back up plan of action is already pretty much in place at this time, the question is just which seaside town we'll live in.

Thanks for your info.

tsap seui

Your welcome -- good luck in your future endeavors - and with completion of the house. Had to laugh when you mentioned you have now seen some of the pictures from the "build out". Lot's of things are "different" mostly they work - but almost all (except the floor and walls) can be modified easily -- as you know!

Good luck and thanks for reality checks during our process - based on your experiences and others, we were prepared to abandon and start a K3 in HK, but luckily there is no need. (Of course I haven't picked up the VISA yet either -- should hold my posts until I at least pick it up). In our case, we had some excellent people to deal with at GUZ, not everyone's experience - the luck of the draw. Take Care.

Hawaii Mike

Thanks for your info.

tsap seui

Your welcome -- good luck in your future endeavors - and with completion of the house. Had to laugh when you mentioned you have now seen some of the pictures from the "build out". Lot's of things are "different" mostly they work - but almost all (except the floor and walls) can be modified easily -- as you know!

Good luck and thanks for reality checks during our process - based on your experiences and others, we were prepared to abandon and start a K3 in HK, but luckily there is no need. (Of course I haven't picked up the VISA yet either -- should hold my posts until I at least pick it up). In our case, we had some excellent people to deal with at GUZ, not everyone's experience - the luck of the draw. Take Care.

Hawaii Mike

Yep, luck of the draw sometimes. :) I'm very happy your experience was a good and smooth one.

I thought about you when I saw those photos this past weekend, and I had a good laugh, I must say. It looks like good electric hammer drills and actual jack hammers are the tools of the day when finishing or renovating homes in China. :) I looked at the "torture" of just running outlets and switches and thought, "that's it, I'm not gonna renovate homes in China, especially with the exchange rate affording the luxury of letting the Chinese workers do their thing." And the plumbing...fo-get-about-it..even tho I am a plumber, electrician, and carpenter by trade"s". :o

While I can easily take a Bosch electric jack hammer and put a full bath and a kitchen in a basement...all the "sea-ment" in a Chinatucky home makes me want to curl up with a good book in my bamboo rockin' chair and let others do the work.

Good luck with your future, it looks like the sky is the limit for you guys. ;)

tsap seui