Just another blue slip reciever asking for advice

I have no doubt somewhere in all of these postings someone has presented a circumstance at least similar to mine, but after spending a week plus reading through them those that I that I¡¯ve read all seem to have a significant variation. I will try to give the relevant facts without being long winded.

The basic bank ground is that I met my wife Li ping on line August 8th 2007; It didn¡¯t take long at all to know in my heart that she was who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I made my first visit to Zhanjiang China on November 23rd, 2007 accompanied by my 13 year old son. More or less the intention was for us to get married, which we did on November 26th 2007. I stayed with her in Zhanjiang for 10 of the happiest days of my life. Of course when I returned home and filed the visa application K-1/K-3 December 31st, 2007.

I have been married twice before, the first time at age 18 and it lasted for about 10 to 11 years, 2 children now fully grown. The 2nd marriage lasted for 13 or 14 years, it was a terrible marriage tainted by numerous extra marital affairs, financial irresponsibility, excessive drinking and some drugs. I adopted her 2 children from previous unmarried relationships, now also grown and we also had 1 son together, now 14. We divorced in late 2006. In both divorce cases I received the custody of the children. If it matters my wife turned 38 in April 2008 and I turned 50 in August 2008. My wife has a widow of 10 years and has 2 children, a son 16 and a daughter 14.

In January of 2008 my 2 grand-daughters age 2 and 3 at the time were taken away from my oldest son. After talking with Li ping and with her support and I was given physical guardianship of the girls. About March 2008 with the help of my Congressman I filed and actually was granted a request to expedite from USCIS largely because of the hardship I have trying to raise 2 very little girls and 1 teenage boy by myself. Our case was sent to Guangzhou in mid June and Li ping finally had her interview of September 3rd 2008. In total I have made 4 trips to China to spend time with my wife, the kids, and her family, with the last trip being specifically to support her during and to bring her home to Phoenix after her interview. On average each visit was about 2 weeks long.

From what I can gather from my wife the actual interview was not very long, they didn¡¯t look at much of the information she brought with her and they didn¡¯t ask a lot of questions. They did ask how many people currently live with me and this lead to the question about why I had custody of my grand-daughters. I had explained to Li ping the whys but not in minute detail, I had told her that the girls mother and father [my son] supported the court action that I receive guardianship. The main reason being the only other alternative for the court was to slit the girls up and adopt them out. When she answered the question I think she told them that my son had been in jail [truth] and that he couldn¡¯t take care of them so he gave them to me. I am not specifically aware of any other questions that were ask or at least were asked and not answered with good accuracy.

As I¡¯m sure you can guess the interview lead to a blue slip. The blue slip requested that I submit my I-864, 2007 tax return, and proof of employment along with a statement of how, when, where I met my ex-wife¡¯s and why those marriages ended ion divorce. It also asked for a statement of how, when, where I met my wife Li ping and how our relationship developed. Since I was there in Guangzhou I did try to speak with the interviewer in hopes of answering the questions and not incurring another lengthy delay. I do struggle with taking care of children, working 50+ hours a week, caring for the house and yard, and everything else, so beyond the fact that I miss my wife very much more delay was something I was hopping to avoid. Of course they wouldn¡¯t meet with me and told me to just do what the blue paper said. So I did, I wrote the statements in reasonable detail and added the papers that they asked for and sent them to Guangzhou from Zhanjiang on September 3rd 2008.

I have read storied here of people that have had great successes and I have read stories of people that have had devastating defeats. My question is; what are you opinions of my situation and chances that my wife will receive the will call letter or that specific other results will occur? Do you have any advise or recommendations going forward?

To answer the question about the I-864, Yes I submitted it and it did include my son, my grand-daughters, my wife, and my 2 new [step]children. I make a reasonably good living as a Software Development Manager so my income level and assets shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by smithdanw (see edit history)
Guest WenDylan

You received a blue, not a white. So I would take that as a good sign to start. By providing them with what they are asking for, with good explanation and length as you described, you are doing the best to satisfy their request. In my humble opinion.

I have seen plenty of blue's turn into pinks.

I wish you all the best!!! I think you have thinks quite in control! :D

The things they mentioned, for you to give evidence on... many CR-1 filers FRONT LOADED their applications with this information. Don't despair, the things they are asking for are easy.

The I-864 mostly mirrors the I-134, but if you didn't include the chillun as members of yer household for the I-134 - the VO can't make the math work properly to compute the household size-to-poverty level ratios. If I read you right, there's 5 children to account for, or 3 children PLUS some grandchildren, that make up your 'household size'.

You haven't filled out an I-864 yet, cause the CR-1 (I-130) processing stopped somewhere along the way - you would have done the I-864 in the latter steps of the I-130.

statement of how, when, where I met my wife Li ping and how our relationship developed
- that's an evolution of relationship letter, many CR-1 filers are preloading this on original I-130 submittal.

Just submit what they are asking for - and remember - the 'WHAT' they are asking for isn't out of the ordinary. If she is still in ZhanJiang, I would be glad to introduce her to my doctor friend in ZhanJiang, maybe she can provide some 'on the ground' moral support.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Just to get the record straight from the top....

You already sent in the blue slip requests... and are asking after the fact for an idea of the outcome? Sorry to be so blunt, but better to ask about what to send prior to sending... now it's purely up to what you sent.

I cannot give an opinion without seeing exactly what you wrote. All I can say is, the less emotional and the less admitting the better. Just state you can take care of her and everyone. STICK TO FACTS.

Yes there are many with simular stories and simular results (the blue slip) asking for more information. However each of our cases will never be exactly the same, they are as individual as we are. We received the blue slip asking me to submit additional information, what they asked for seemed pretty basic and easily addresed. How did I meet my finace, when did I meet her, how many trips to see her, the evolution of our relationship, who traveled with me to china who paid for my ticket, what did we do while I was there. When did I meet my exwife (also Chinese) and the same questions as above with the addition to when she arrived in the us, when did we marry, when did we divorce, why did we divorce. Then general info about where the ex lived now, address and phone number, ssn, ailen reg. number where she worked. No requests of any other needed statements need from the exwife, or myself, or any other financial info requested. Seems like pretty easy things to address yes? WRONG! A month after giving GUZ all this additional info we got the white not a bona fide relationship. I am begining to think these VOs just flip a coin after they receive this additional info as to will it be a pink or WHITE slip this time. Especially when it comes to the VOs who sign the forms with either a Z or an M. Perhaps these two have some sort of contest going as to how many lives they can destroy the fastest.

I wish you much good luck in bringing your family together, but at this point all you can do is wait for GUZ to rule on your case and notify you with the pink or the white.

Gary

I have no doubt somewhere in all of these postings someone has presented a circumstance at least similar to mine, but after spending a week plus reading through them those that I that I’ve read all seem to have a significant variation. I will try to give the relevant facts without being long winded.

The basic bank ground is that I met my wife Li ping on line August 8th 2007; It didn’t take long at all to know in my heart that she was who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I made my first visit to Zhanjiang China on November 23rd, 2007 accompanied by my 13 year old son. More or less the intention was for us to get married, which we did on November 26th 2007. I stayed with her in Zhanjiang for 10 of the happiest days of my life. Of course when I returned home and filed the visa application K-1/K-3 December 31st, 2007.

I have been married twice before, the first time at age 18 and it lasted for about 10 to 11 years, 2 children now fully grown. The 2nd marriage lasted for 13 or 14 years, it was a terrible marriage tainted by numerous extra marital affairs, financial irresponsibility, excessive drinking and some drugs. I adopted her 2 children from previous unmarried relationships, now also grown and we also had 1 son together, now 14. We divorced in late 2006. In both divorce cases I received the custody of the children. If it matters my wife turned 38 in April 2008 and I turned 50 in August 2008. My wife has a widow of 10 years and has 2 children, a son 16 and a daughter 14.

In January of 2008 my 2 grand-daughters age 2 and 3 at the time were taken away from my oldest son. After talking with Li ping and with her support and I was given physical guardianship of the girls. About March 2008 with the help of my Congressman I filed and actually was granted a request to expedite from USCIS largely because of the hardship I have trying to raise 2 very little girls and 1 teenage boy by myself. Our case was sent to Guangzhou in mid June and Li ping finally had her interview of September 3rd 2008. In total I have made 4 trips to China to spend time with my wife, the kids, and her family, with the last trip being specifically to support her during and to bring her home to Phoenix after her interview. On average each visit was about 2 weeks long.

From what I can gather from my wife the actual interview was not very long, they didn’t look at much of the information she brought with her and they didn’t ask a lot of questions. They did ask how many people currently live with me and this lead to the question about why I had custody of my grand-daughters. I had explained to Li ping the whys but not in minute detail, I had told her that the girls mother and father [my son] supported the court action that I receive guardianship. The main reason being the only other alternative for the court was to slit the girls up and adopt them out. When she answered the question I think she told them that my son had been in jail [truth] and that he couldn’t take care of them so he gave them to me. I am not specifically aware of any other questions that were ask or at least were asked and not answered with good accuracy.

As I’m sure you can guess the interview lead to a blue slip. The blue slip requested that I submit my I-864, 2007 tax return, and proof of employment along with a statement of how, when, where I met my ex-wife’s and why those marriages ended ion divorce. It also asked for a statement of how, when, where I met my wife Li ping and how our relationship developed. Since I was there in Guangzhou I did try to speak with the interviewer in hopes of answering the questions and not incurring another lengthy delay. I do struggle with taking care of children, working 50+ hours a week, caring for the house and yard, and everything else, so beyond the fact that I miss my wife very much more delay was something I was hopping to avoid. Of course they wouldn’t meet with me and told me to just do what the blue paper said. So I did, I wrote the statements in reasonable detail and added the papers that they asked for and sent them to Guangzhou from Zhanjiang on September 3rd 2008.

I have read storied here of people that have had great successes and I have read stories of people that have had devastating defeats. My question is; what are you opinions of my situation and chances that my wife will receive the will call letter or that specific other results will occur? Do you have any advise or recommendations going forward?

To answer the question about the I-864, Yes I submitted it and it did include my son, my grand-daughters, my wife, and my 2 new [step]children. I make a reasonably good living as a Software Development Manager so my income level and assets shouldn't be an issue.

...The blue slip requested that I submit my I-864, 2007 tax return, and proof of employment along with a statement of how, when, where I met my ex-wife¡¯s and why those marriages ended ion divorce. It also asked for a statement of how, when, where I met my wife Li ping and how our relationship developed.

... My question is; what are you opinions of my situation and chances that my wife will receive the will call letter or that specific other results will occur? Do you have any advise or recommendations going forward?

My opinion of your situation is that it is a little bit complicated.

My opinion of the chances your wife will receive the will call letter is that the chances are 50-50. It really depends on your responses to what the blue slip asked for.

My opinion that specific other results will (or will not) occur is that it is impossible to tell.

Good luck.

Sorry, I missed the time tick for september 3rd.

If you don't hear back within 90 days of submitting, start calling, faxing and emailing.

In looking at which VO signed the form it's pretty hard to make out the initials but it looks like ksm or usm. My wife described her to me but I don't know that it would be appropriate to put that here.

In my response I¡¯m sure I said more then I should have in some cases and not enough in others. I tried to put myself in the position of the VO and ask what would I need and want to know. I wish very much I had found this website and it¡¯s advise and support months before rather then weeks after.

I will admit to being a naive person in that I have always tried to believe and go on the belief that people will do what is right. In reading some of the postings on this website, that premise is severely shaken. I can not contemplate how someone could look a legally married couple in a practicing marriage, understanding that when you are thousands of miles apart there are significant limitations on the practicing part, and label it as not a bona fide relationship. Does anyone have any idea what the standards are to be classified as a bona fide relationship?

I am probably preaching to the choir but, even with the handicap of being 7000+ miles apart there is more practice in my marriage with Li ping then had existed in my previous marriage for the last 7+ years of it.

Gary, If you do not mind me asking, I¡¯m curious as to how have you responded to the white slip?

From what I see they are concerned about two things.

1. That you make enough money to support such a large family and,

2. That you have a bonafide relationship and aren't just looking for a nanny with benefits.

Now you have to wait and see if it's enough. Just give them what they want.

You originally filed your family composition was different from what it is now. Did you update information in a timely fashion and ensure that the info was correct and consistent at the time of the interview?

Are there any conflicts in the information submitted in response to the blue slip and the information submitted and updated through the normal course of pre-interview processing?

If you answer to the first is Yes and to the second No then I think you have a reasonable chance of success in overcoming the blue slip. If there is anyway the data you submitted could be interpreted as lying or withholding significant information then you could have a serious problem.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Guest Rob & Jin

I have to agree with Jim.

If your family circumstances changed during the course of the petition being processed and you didn't up date your finiancal and other documents to reflect that, this could be viewed as Fraud- misrepresentation.

If you did update everything, then it could be just "clarification" they want. As to how long this will take is "anyones guess" but could be months.

Good luck

As far as I can remember all the information in the application and I-864 where updated to reflect the change in my family size, meaning the inclusion of my grand-daughters as household members. When I filed the expedite request with USCIS I also provided additional information on the why¡¯s, how¡¯s and when¡¯s related to the change. At a minimum they have 2 letters from me explaining the circumstances.

As far as my income level, I more then dobule the required income level for a family of 7 so I would hope it would not be an issue.

I have given some thought to contacting a lawyer in Guangzhou more as precautionary, just in case. The more I read the more I tend to think this might be prudent. I've read several names in several postings but have had trouble locating good contact information for any other the names mentioned. If anyone has a personal recommendation and good contact information for them please feel free to email it to me.

Thanks

Edited by smithdanw (see edit history)