Do I have this right?

Hi,

This is my first post here. I have a girlfriend in China, and I'd like to find some information about a visa for her to come to the U.S.

Background: We met as co-workers in Liaoning province in '03. After I returned to the States in '04, we started a long distance relationship, first email and then, when I found a cheap calling card, phone. Talk every day. Vacation together 2-3 times/year, mostly in China but also once in Thailand.

What I want: To live with her and show her all the interesting things that this country has to offer.

Her options: B-2 (tourist), F-1 (student), K-1 (fiancee).

Problems with these options:

*B-2: She has limited binding ties to China. Her mother is in her mid-60s but still in good health, she owns an apartment, has no job.

*F-1: I would have to pay her tuition, or take out loans for her, as she doesn't have any credit. She wouldn't be able to get a real job, so I'd have to support her.

*K-1: I'm not super-excited about getting married, I just want to live with her. But I'm willing to pursue marriage if that's the only way that this will work.

Process for K-1 as I understand it: She and I each fill out G-325A. I submit both G-325As, proof of our relationship (phone bills and vacation photos), a notarized I-134, and an I-129F by mail to my local US-CIS office. US-CIS sends packet to Guangzhou, Guangzhou sends Packet 3 to her. She returns Packet 3 to Guangzhou. Guangzhou schedules an interview. After she passes the interview, she gets permission to apply for a visa at a port of entry. At the port of entry, she receives her K-1.

So, is the K-1 my best option? And do I correctly understand what we have to do to get the K-1?

Keep in mind B and F visas do not have IMMIGRANT intent, so applying for one to live with boyfriend with possible marriage and adjustment is VISA fraud. This is one of the reasons it is hard to get a visa in China.

K-1 is a visa that dose have Immigrant intent.

A few notes K-1 is intended for marriage within 90 days or the visa holder becomes out of status, K1 should marry within the 90 days, if not then an I-130 needs to be filed with the I-485 when adjusting status. K-1 MUST marry the petitioner, it cannot be used to enter the USA and then marry someone else.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a "Shack-UP" visa.

A few errors in your interpretation of K-1 process. You submit I-129F and 2 g-325As along with passport pics, evidence of meeting within past 2 years, evidence of US Citizenship, and letter of intent, to either Vermont, or California service center, whichever has jurisdiction over your US residence, NOT your local CIS office. You do not provide I-134 until later at the Visa interview.

K-1 is your best option.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

As Dan pointed out there is no such thing as a shack up visa. Tourist visa is very difficult to get. Student visa sounds like a not very good option and since you don't really want to get married, a K-1 is not intended for a trial run. IMO your best option is to continue the relationship as you are doing now. Make a few more trips to China and get comfortable with the idea of marriage.

Welcome to CFL. As Dan states the the B-2 and F-1 visas are not good options for you.

Based on this comment:

*K-1: I'm not super-excited about getting married, I just want to live with her. But I'm willing to pursue marriage if that's the only way that this will work.

I would also suggest that K-1 is not a good option as, at this point, it appears that you don't have the commitment normally required for a successful marriage. My suggestion would be to continue enjoying each others company on vacations until you're both ready to seriously commit to marriage or you tire of each other and move on.

The Two of You could live in a different country that has LONGER visa time and LESS requirements for the PRC person, whilst the AMP (American Male Partner) earn higher wages as an expat.

I suggest Singapore and U.A.E. Either way, you don't have to show intent to marry for HER to have a tourist Visa.

Hmm...

Much appreciation for the guidance on the K-1 process.

Regarding our future plans: We've been together for the last 4 years, and I feel that we work well together. I'm taking the fiancee route more seriously because I know this long-distance relationship isn't sustainable, and that I will lose her if I don't find a way for us to live together indefinitely. She is starting to get a lot of pressure from her family to the effect of, "so when is your American boy going to get serious and settle down with you?"

But the point about commitment as a prerequisite for a strong marriage is well taken. It's actually a fairly complex issue for me; is CFL an appropriate place to discuss that topic (my level of commitment and whether or not we should marry)?

Hmm...

Much appreciation for the guidance on the K-1 process.

Regarding our future plans: We've been together for the last 4 years, and I feel that we work well together. I'm taking the fiancee route more seriously because I know this long-distance relationship isn't sustainable, and that I will lose her if I don't find a way for us to live together indefinitely. She is starting to get a lot of pressure from her family to the effect of, "so when is your American boy going to get serious and settle down with you?"

But the point about commitment as a prerequisite for a strong marriage is well taken. It's actually a fairly complex issue for me; is CFL an appropriate place to discuss that topic (my level of commitment and whether or not we should marry)?

If you search the site abit you will find CFL to be a ver good place to discuss this, for the most part the members are older and have experience with relationships.

Gentleman,

Why do I feel a sense of "wind-up" here, with this thread? A member since 21 Apr 2007!?! Now these questions arise? Sigil, if you were serious in the least you would have seen the futility of:

1) F-1 Visa (student): Not only does it take money, you have to have the connections to the schools, they have to willingly accept her and with with commensurate grades to be accepted.

2) B-2 (tourist) No ties to China? IMHO, you better kiss this alternative away! Not unless you have mega-bucks and establish something. You won't even escape this requirement in Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines and Vietnam. They are less stringent! However, the same requirements are none the less there!

3) K-1 Visa: Are you kidding? I disagree with Jim Julian often. However, in this case I agree with him 110%! He is polite; I'm not! Are you the LPJ100 newly reformed?

If I have insulted you and I'm incorrect; then please forgive me and I will be the first to apologize!

If you are a wind-up; then move on!

If you truly are this thick and are true to your purpose, then you have so very much to learn! Ask away!

Personally, I look forward to your questions. They truly should be well-thought out, backed up with a bit of research. I assure you that middle-aged men may be a bit slower in body. However, their minds are extremely sharp due to many years of Life's experiences! If you are true; I suggest that you act accordingly!

Hi,

This is my first post here. I have a girlfriend in China, and I'd like to find some information about a visa for her to come to the U.S.

Background: We met as co-workers in Liaoning province in '03. After I returned to the States in '04, we started a long distance relationship, first email and then, when I found a cheap calling card, phone. Talk every day. Vacation together 2-3 times/year, mostly in China but also once in Thailand.

What I want: To live with her and show her all the interesting things that this country has to offer.

Her options: B-2 (tourist), F-1 (student), K-1 (fiancee).

Problems with these options:

*B-2: She has limited binding ties to China. Her mother is in her mid-60s but still in good health, she owns an apartment, has no job.

*F-1: I would have to pay her tuition, or take out loans for her, as she doesn't have any credit. She wouldn't be able to get a real job, so I'd have to support her.

Process for K-1 as I understand it: She and I each fill out G-325A. I submit both G-325As, proof of our relationship (phone bills and vacation photos), a notarized I-134, and an I-129F by mail to my local US-CIS office. US-CIS sends packet to Guangzhou, Guangzhou sends Packet 3 to her. She returns Packet 3 to Guangzhou. Guangzhou schedules an interview. After she passes the interview, she gets permission to apply for a visa at a port of entry. At the port of entry, she receives her K-1.

So, is the K-1 my best option? And do I correctly understand what we have to do to get the K-1?

I would say K1 is not a good option, as you are supposed to get married and this is something you will sign off on and send to the USCIS. Without injecting my moral concerns, I'll just say that this is a rather lengthy process and I'd think you'd have to want more than to 'just be with her' to sustain the hardship that is entailed in the process. It's a major pain in my opinion.

Go B2 route, says I. I know a filthy rich single girl in China who has been to the USA several times as a tourist. But the last time she wanted to come here it took her 3 attempts to get the B2 visa, so your GF may have some troubles as she is not employed.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't realize that this thread had blown up. I apologize for neglecting it.

This is a serious request for information. My relationship with her means a lot to me, and I am trying to protect it by enabling us to live together.

I am just trying to be very careful about making a significant life change. I realize that this is not to be taken lightly, as marriage is a recognition of a sacred bond between two allies of the heart. My concern is that the strength of this bond has never really been tested. We've gone on vacation together a number of times over the past 4 years, but we've never lived together while I've been working, so I don't know how well we can cope with me bringing job stress home to our domestic life. It is a risk that I cannot fully assess.

Yes, I know that there is an amount of trust and risk in any relationship, but I am a practical man, and I know that it would be foolhardy for me to engage in a venture of known hazard without hedging it. I need to make sure that we both have a secure life together awaiting us; if I cannot provide that, I have no business drawing her into a lifetime contract. So I must take steps to create that safety.

Posting in this forum is one of those steps.

For those of you who have gone through this before, how did you cope with the lack of shared domestic experience? Or did all of you find a way to live with your fiance(e) before marrying?

I also have a more mundane question: the G-325A has a place for an Alien Registration Number, but as far as we know, she doesn't have one. Do we leave this field blank, or does she need to get such a number before completing the G-325A?

Welcome to CFL. As Dan states the the B-2 and F-1 visas are not good options for you.

Based on this comment:

I would also suggest that K-1 is not a good option as, at this point, it appears that you don't have the commitment normally required for a successful marriage. My suggestion would be to continue enjoying each others company on vacations until you're both ready to seriously commit to marriage or you tire of each other and move on.

I agree with Jim on this. IF you want to just live with her, maybe you can consider to take a leave of absence and spend a few months with her in China.

With the K1, you would only have 90 days to marry her after she arrived in the states or she would need to return to China.

There is only one way I know how to not lose someone I care about and that is commit to her, but as you said you are not ready for that.

Since after 4 years you don't really want to commit, you might consider letting her go for her best interest.

I also have a more mundane question: the G-325A has a place for an Alien Registration Number, but as far as we know, she doesn't have one. Do we leave this field blank, or does she need to get such a number before completing the G-325A?

A# gets assigned by USCIS after they approve I-129F for a K1 visa, it will be indicated on the approval notice.

Simply state "NONE" there.

Hi sigil,

I would guess you have never been married??

If your relationship means allot to you and her relationship to you means allot to her...then you are half way there.......... :lol:

But you have to realize that when a US Citizen becomes involved with a Chinese Citizen some of the things you just have to take on faith.

Because of the distance and such.

My first marriage lasted 21 years and we divorced...Is anyone absolutely sure of a relationship??

At least with a fiance Visa, you have a 90 day "shack up" Visa.... :o

But even before you go filing for Visa, you need to sit down and figure out do you want this woman as your wife. Because really the only way for what you are talking about is marriage.

Just what I think............... :shutup: :ph34r: :rolleyes:

You can never be 100% sure of anything, and my two divorces are an example of that...so you can see that I am on my third wife.

My third wife is different and it took me all this time to find her.

And dnoblett is right...No Alien Registration Number until Approved by USCIS .

Tom and Ling

I didn't realize that this thread had blown up. I apologize for neglecting it.

This is a serious request for information. My relationship with her means a lot to me, and I am trying to protect it by enabling us to live together.

I am just trying to be very careful about making a significant life change. I realize that this is not to be taken lightly, as marriage is a recognition of a sacred bond between two allies of the heart. My concern is that the strength of this bond has never really been tested. We've gone on vacation together a number of times over the past 4 years, but we've never lived together while I've been working, so I don't know how well we can cope with me bringing job stress home to our domestic life. It is a risk that I cannot fully assess.

Yes, I know that there is an amount of trust and risk in any relationship, but I am a practical man, and I know that it would be foolhardy for me to engage in a venture of known hazard without hedging it. I need to make sure that we both have a secure life together awaiting us; if I cannot provide that, I have no business drawing her into a lifetime contract. So I must take steps to create that safety.

Posting in this forum is one of those steps.

For those of you who have gone through this before, how did you cope with the lack of shared domestic experience? Or did all of you find a way to live with your fiance(e) before marrying?

To start with marriage is give and take partnership and you have to be willing to give more than you receive. I could be wrong but it sound to me like you are only interested in your own personal satisfaction. If you do not feel that you can give all then you should let the lady know and back out of her life before you destroy her.

:greenblob:

I imagine many of us would have liked a "shack up visa" because of previous failures in marriage. That said, those of us in that category ponied up and answered the question:

"Is this gal a piece of ass or does she add something to my life that makes my life better?"

The answer to that question doesn't guaranty success, but it does tell you the path to take.