Dressing down..

Here's something I noticed..

Before going to China last year, I had only travelled out of the country twice, both times to Canada (once for a single day, and again for a 1 week conference). On my trip to China, I took one or two "good" sets of clothing (khaki's, decent button-up shirts (don't like polos), etc.) and a few general weekend sets of clothes (blue jeans, carpenter pants, hawaii-shirts, t-shirts, etc.).. since this was the first time I was meeting my fiancee' f2f, I decided I'd want to look nice for her for a few days.. As it turned out, I wore my dress-down clothes most of the time.. whenever I wore decent clothes, I was a magnet for street people, vendors, taxi drivers and various other people looking for money.. I ended up putting those clothes away and wearing my jeans and tacky shirts most of the time.. I felt kind of bad that I couldn't look nice for her, but it turned out that my dress-down mode was pretty much her idea of how everyone in the US dressed anyway..

Anyhow.. these are just some observations/travel trips.. on the up-side, I generally dressed better whenever I was travelling (HK to SZ, SZ to HK, and whenever we were spending more than an hour on the road).. I found that I got great treatment, was never stopped at customs and was always shown respect..

Since I have been here I normally just wear a pair of cargo shorts and a tee shirt, normally one with "USA" something or other on it ; ), but regardless of what I wear I still get hit up by street people....must be my big American nose or something ;)

What I have noticed is how people here dress, especially the older generations. It could be the hottest day of the year and they have on long dress pants and dress shirts. THe collage aged kids have on the shorts and jeans though.

I've also noticed a lot of women wear dresses here, which is a nice change too. Children, young ones at that, wear these kind of pants that allow their butts to hang out, I guess it helps when they have to relieve themselfs, which they will do right on the street....yea, kind of nastey.

I was thinking that maybe the men here wear the dress pants more because they are cheap...they keep falling off the back of the truck right?

Here, as in the states, teenagers will be teen agers. You will see the pink hair, baggy pants and all kinds of other oddities.