Have a hard time opening joint bank accounts in the US

It seems every bank rejects our application because my wife is a new resident with no credit history (and/or potential money launderer or terrorist?). Oftentimes we have to provide a form (a W-??? form). Other times, it is flat our rejection. I have no problems opening up a single account, though. But I prefer to keep everything "joint".

Does anyone else have this problem with joint accounts? I am wondering what is the best way to deal with this?

Edited by audelair (see edit history)

A credit history is not needed to open or add a person to a checking or savings account.

All you should need is a SSN.

I had no problems adding my wife to my accounts after she got her SSN.

If entry to the USA on a K-1, the visa holder should be able to get SSN within the first 76 days of entry, all other K-Visas need EAD or Green-card to get SSN.

If entry to use is on a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, should be able to get SSN shortly after entering the country.

she's got a SSN. she's been working for a few years, paying taxes. No debt. we have perfect credit. It's been a continuous annoyance.

I would be asking for the bank manager, or be telling them that "I am closing my accounts and taking my business elsewhere"

You are clearly dealing with a MORON.

We just get automatic denials when we apply online, and have to go through a bunch of hoops (faxing in extra information for her... never for me). The thing is that some firms (like investment firms) require you to open online since there is no local branch. Also, online banks like ING obviously have no local branch.

I think we will have better luck if we go into a branch and talk to someone. Problem is, banks like BofA only offer free checking (with no catches) if you apply online. At the branch, the free-checking offer has some requirements (like direct deposit or other).

It is inconvenient that we are unable to do things normally. And it has been a very consistent problem, with 3 out of 3 banks over the past few years giving us the same issue. One investment firm told me that they have more requirements dealing with immigrants, since 9/11.

We just get automatic denials when we apply online, and have to go through a bunch of hoops (faxing in extra information for her... never for me). The thing is that some firms (like investment firms) require you to open online since there is no local branch. Also, online banks like ING obviously have no local branch.

I think we will have better luck if we go into a branch and talk to someone. Problem is, banks like BofA only offer free checking (with no catches) if you apply online. At the branch, the free-checking offer has some requirements (like direct deposit or other).

It is inconvenient that we are unable to do things normally. And it has been a very consistent problem, with 3 out of 3 banks over the past few years giving us the same issue. One investment firm told me that they have more requirements dealing with immigrants, since 9/11.

Apply for the account on line, and then visit a branch office to add spouse to the account.