Politics and the Chinese

My wife was talking to a family member the other night, from what she tells me they are following our political race like many other countries. Since they are a communist county they have no elections. She was telling me they see some humor in the fact that Obama a young man picked a older man for his VP selection and McCain an older man picks a young woman for his VP choice. I don't want this to turn into a debate, but what have you heard from your spouse and the feelings from their family and friends in China in regards to our election.

She expresses amazement in the interest of US Citizens. She says no one in China cares at all about Chinese government or politics, though she said there is some interest over there about ours.

I wasn't with her when the DNC happened or we would have watched it. What amazed me was the fact she already knew who the former CEO of HP was who spoke at RNC and one of the lady Governors attending. She liked the strength of Palin's speech, and the speech by Cindy McCain. So the women in politics GREATLY peaked her interest and I am sure she would have loved to hear Hillary and Michelle speak.

My wife really likes to see the women leaders and tells her daughter of the possibilities she has to achieve greatness this way.

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

This thread has great potential...to turn into another political back and forth. :roller:

Now that's a radical leftist view! :roller:

:bleh:

My wife and daughter really aren't much interested in the upcoming election, though they both manage to keep up with many of the headlines. Here in China, the running theme is that B.H. Obama, is the chosen one, and would be the best next president. Ask virtually anyone why they feel that way, and you will have a long wait....

...a very long wait.

First off they do have elections in China. Especially for their local officials. Even the president isn't all that much different from here. Think about the electoral college. Granted whoever wins the CCP is still in charge.

Since my wife became an American citizen she has taken a small interest in politics. She intends to vote for the candidates of her choice.

Guest ShaQuaNew

First off they do have elections in China. Especially for their local officials. Even the president isn't all that much different from here. Think about the electoral college. Granted whoever wins the CCP is still in charge.

Since my wife became an American citizen she has taken a small interest in politics. She intends to vote for the candidates of her choice.

Regarding elections in China, that's true Carl; at least at the local levels.

I have seen video footage of an election in a small Chinese village. I found it to be quite interesting. The incumbent won. Also during my last visit to China, I saw TV commercials encouraging people to vote in local elections. I was really surprised to see this.

On my first trip to China I remember reading that the CCP candidate had lost the province election in Liaoning, the comments in the English newspaper said the residents did not trust him. My wife told me he was a crook.