laptop & camera in GUZ

Hey Everybody,

We have our interview coming up on September 23 and I'll be taking my laptop and camera with me. :lol: I don't want to leave these things in the hotel as my business is 100% mobile and absolutely everything is in my laptop including all our documents for this entire visa process. I never leave it out of my sight when traveling and will carry my briefcase with me containing these things to GUZ for the interview.

My question is: What is the policy at GUZ? Do they allow you to bring these things into the Embassy or will they deny me entrance if I have them? :lol:

Hope everyone's having a great day,

Bob

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Everybody,

We have our interview coming up on September 23 and I'll be taking my laptop and camera with me. :D I don't want to leave these things in the hotel as my business is 100% mobile and absolutely everything is in my laptop including all our documents for this entire visa process. I never leave it out of my sight when traveling and will carry my briefcase with me containing these things to GUZ for the interview.

My question is: What is the policy at GUZ? Do they allow you to bring these things into the Embassy or will they deny me entrance if I have them? :nonono:

Bob

If you go up to the 5th floor, you would leave any electronic gear at the security checkpoint.

Thank you - I'm sure you are also

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

It's actually the visa annex of a consulate ... not an embassy ... no where near the security you would find in an embassy.

While waiting for Haiqing during her interview you will be on the floor below the consulate in the coffee shop or elsewhere in the commercial part of the building. If you attend ACH I would suggest you have Haiquing hold the briefcase as she waits for you.

You can't attend the interview; she can't attend the ACH.

They do screen for cellphones etc on the way into the consulate area and to answer directly I don't imagine they would let you take electronics into the actual consulate area.

It's actually the visa annex of a consulate ... not an embassy ... no where near the security you would find in an embassy.

While waiting for Haiqing during her interview you will be on the floor below the consulate in the coffee shop or elsewhere in the commercial part of the building. If you attend ACH I would suggest you have Haiquing hold the briefcase as she waits for you.

They do screen for cellphones etc on the way into the consulate area and to answer directly I don't imagine they would let you take electronics into the actual consulate area.

HEllo Jim,

What does ACH stand for?

Thanks

Joe.

HEllo Jim,

What does ACH stand for?

Thanks

Joe.

I think it stands for American Clitizens Hour

HEllo Jim,

What does ACH stand for?

Thanks

Joe.

Yep, the Embassy is way up north in Beijing.

And yes you can check your electronics at security, I had to check my PDA, and Cell ph when attending ACH

ACH = American Citizen's Hour, it is a time that US citizens can visit the consulate and ask general questions pertaining to their petition.

Also called "U.S. citizen petitioner hour"

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_announcement.htm

Hey Everybody,

We have our interview coming up on September 23 and I'll be taking my laptop and camera with me. :( I don't want to leave these things in the hotel as my business is 100% mobile and absolutely everything is in my laptop including all our documents for this entire visa process. I never leave it out of my sight when traveling and will carry my briefcase with me containing these things to GUZ for the interview.

My question is: What is the policy at GUZ? Do they allow you to bring these things into the Embassy or will they deny me entrance if I have them? :o

Bob

If you go up to the 5th floor, you would leave any electronic gear at the security checkpoint.

Thank you - I'm sure you are also

Hi Randy,

I don't think I'll be going up to the 5th floor unless something unexpected requires me to do so.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Hi Jim,

I didn't realize that it was a separate building, I assumed it was all together.

I will be attending ACH so I'll leave my briefcase with my sweet Haiqing while doing that. I know that I can't attend the interview and that she can't attend the ACH session. As long as I can get into the building and wait for her on the 4th floor with my briefcase then I'm ok. Do you know if that is a problem? :o If I can't do that then I'll leave those things at home in Shenzhen where they are safe.

Thanks for the info, see you in SoCal someday!

Bob

Hi Jim,

I didn't realize that it was a separate building, I assumed it was all together.

I will be attending ACH so I'll leave my briefcase with my sweet Haiqing while doing that. I know that I can't attend the interview and that she can't attend the ACH session. As long as I can get into the building and wait for her on the 4th floor with my briefcase then I'm ok. Do you know if that is a problem? :( If I can't do that then I'll leave those things at home in Shenzhen where they are safe.

Bob

The fourth floor is fine, and you normally would not have a need to go to the 5th floor. Just grab a cup of coffee (it's expensive) and wait.

Facing from the street, the up escalators that you would both take in the morning are on the left. After the interview, she would come down the escalator to the right (the coffee shop faces toward this escalator).

Yep, the Embassy is way up north in Beijing.

And yes you can check your electronics at security, I had to check my PDA, and Cell ph when attending ACH

ACH = American Citizen's Hour, it is a time that US citizens can visit the consulate and ask general questions pertaining to their petition.

Also called "U.S. citizen petitioner hour"

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_announcement.htm

Hi dnoblett,

I was typing as you were and missed your post. We haven't crossed paths here in a few weeks, good to see you again.

I assumed that the visa annex of the consulate was part of the Embassy and figured the security might be pretty tight. First time with this process makes for lots of learning us suppose :(

When I go to ACH I can leave my things with my sweet Haiqing, I just need to know if I can get to the 4th floor with them while I wait for her during the interview ... neng bu neng is the question :o

Thanks for the info,

Bob

Hi Jim,

I will be attending ACH so I'll leave my briefcase with my sweet Haiqing while doing that. I know that I can't attend the interview and that she can't attend the ACH session. As long as I can get into the building and wait for her on the 4th floor with my briefcase then I'm ok. Do you know if that is a problem? :o If I can't do that then I'll leave those things at home in Shenzhen where they are safe.

Bob

The fourth floor is fine, and you normally would not have a need to go to the 5th floor. Just grab a cup of coffee (it's expensive) and wait.

Facing from the street, the up escalators that you would both take in the morning are on the left. After the interview, she would come down the escalator to the right (the coffee shop faces toward this escalator).

Hey Randy,

Thank you very much for answering my question.

And thanks for the info on the layout there, will make things easier for me. I'm not a coffee drinker so I'll save a few pennies :o I'll be the guy responsible for the groove in the floor of the coffee shop from pacing back and forth while waiting for my sweet Haiqing to come down with the results :(

Have a terrific evening,

Bob

The coffee shop on the 4th floor has comfortable seats and tables for you to relax and wait for your SO to come down from the escalator with the pick slip in hand...however you'll need to buy a cup of coffee/tea or whatever.

If for some reasons the wait is several hours (just like me who had to wait for 6 nail biting hours), the waiter would politely ask you to purchase another drink or something to eat. I ended up having a plate of truly awful spaghetti and 2 cups of espresso. The disappointment of the lousy meal quickly turned into tearful joy when finally Emily cruised down from the escalator while trying to hide the pink slip behind her back...but not her smile :)

The coffee shop is the closest place you could wait in comfort unless you rather stand for X number of hours right by the escalator or wait at the other end of the 4th floor - some distance away.

*To see your SO comes down from the escalator with a white slip - tells her that you are there with her and will be with her to overcome whatever difficulties lie ahead...

**To see your SO comes down from the escalator with a blue slip - tells her that you are the ROCK and nothing will stop/prevent you both from getting the pink slip eventually!

***To see your SO comes down from the escalator with a pink slip and a blinding smile = Priceless!!

The two of you will part outside the building on interview day as the QUEUE you're both standing in MOVES inside. Yer not allowed to go with her inside this queue.

With that said, the IV unit of the Consulate is inside the building. You can't get into the interview area (but you knew that already).

You can easily traipse up to the 4th floor coffee shop with yer gear, from the street level entrance, without getting hassled by security.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

The two of you will part outside the building on interview day as the QUEUE you're both standing in MOVES inside. Yer not allowed to go with her inside this queue.

With that said, the IV unit of the Consulate is inside the building. You can't get into the interview area (but you knew that already).

You can easily traipse up to the 4th floor coffee shop with yer gear, from the street level entrance, without getting hassled by security.

Only the areas used by the consulate are policed - this includes the queue outside, the passage into the building and up the escalators, and the fourth floor area behind the coffee shop where they check papers (and you can't stand in a neighboring area - they'll ask you to move)

Other than that, it's a public building - you are free to come and go as you please.

An old thread about the consulate - http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=20995&hl=

The missing pictures -

The fourth floor coffee shop - to the left is the consulate area where they check your passports and allow you up to the 5th floor. To the right is the down escalator where the interviewees exit the consulate

gallery_1846_437_117040.jpg

The queues outside the building

gallery_1846_437_201984.jpg

From across the plaza - the consulate area is circled

gallery_1846_437_110160.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)