state id card

hello to all. me and my honey plan to get married in october and then file aos,ap, and ead. it will take some time before my honey is ready for the driver's test, so i was wondering if a state issued id would be helpful for us? i have already added her to my bank acount and applied for her ss card.she also has a am. ex. credit card in her name and will soon get a boa debit card with her pic in her name.

hello to all. me and my honey plan to get married in october and then file aos,ap, and ead. it will take some time before my honey is ready for the driver's test, so i was wondering if a state issued id would be helpful for us? i have already added her to my bank acount and applied for her ss card.she also has a am. ex. credit card in her name and will soon get a boa debit card with her pic in her name.

Does she have any other American ID?

But check up on the requirements to get one for your state.

she has an american express credit card and will soon get a bank of america debit card with her pic on it.

she has an american express credit card and will soon get a bank of america debit card with her pic on it.

Those aren't ID's, but of course it's optional. The state ID might come in handy when she uses the credit cards - they sometimes ask for separate identification.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Those aren't ID's, but of course it's optional. The state ID might come in handy when she uses the credit cards - they sometimes ask for separate identification.

thx. as always your a big help randy.

In our case, NY would not issue one until my Yu either had an EAD or Green-card. Her Passport served her fine until she got green-card.

boy am i irritated! i just returned from attempting to get the state id card. they told us we had to surrender her chinese driver's license and her chinese id card! is this correct? anyway we just left ecause my honey didn't want to give up her chinese id card just yet. :rolleyes:

No - the Chinese driver's license won't do her any good - simply don't tell them about it.

They are not understanding that the Chinese ID is a national ID card - she will still need it. It's not like our state ID's at all. I don't think there's ever a reason to surrender it - even if she becomes a citizen.

Go somewhere else, or talk to a supervisor.

Dale - if she wanted to write a check at a grocery store, most will ask for id.

If the 'person at the desk' can't claim the state regulations and laws to you about surrendering her ID to get their ID, then they are blowing smoke. Ask another human on another day at different office.

Dale - if she wanted to write a check at a grocery store, most will ask for id.

If the 'person at the desk' can't claim the state regulations and laws to you about surrendering her ID to get their ID, then they are blowing smoke. Ask another human on another day at different office.

It's true if they're from another state - the regulations do state they must be surrendered.

She needs to be treated like a first time driver.

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/id-cards.php

You are required to surrender all previous driver's licenses, ID cards, and learner's permits at the time of application for the ID. If they are not in your possession, you must provide a certified copy of a motor vehicle report or a status letter from your previous state. You may keep your ID if and when your license is reinstated.

Dale, this is probably what they were talking about.

thx. for the replies. i guess we will try and a different office and see what happens. i was reading on the dmv site that an immigrant will be issued an id card with an expiration date the same as their immigration papers ( i-94 in this case) is this correct? if so it hardly seems worthwhile to get the id card if it expires in 2 1/2 months.

thx. for the replies. i guess we will try and a different office and see what happens. i was reading on the dmv site that an immigrant will be issued an id card with an expiration date the same as their immigration papers ( i-94 in this case) is this correct? if so it hardly seems worthwhile to get the id card if it expires in 2 1/2 months.

Correct, again we did not even bother dealing with the DMV until my wife had green-card.

And yes she does not need to surrender her Chinese national ID, what the state is thinking is ID from another state as in a driver's license, a person cannot have 2 driver's license in the USA.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

dale,

Apparently and lucky for us, Tennessee is a very lenient state when it comes to issuing state ID's.

Within the first couple of weeks of my wife's arrival we secured a state ID with her passport and I-94 in the name of Li Wen. It was good for one year.

When we were married we secured an updated ID with her now married name Li Wen Taylor, which expired on the same date as the first ID issued.

Finally, when her green card arrived in her chosen name, Wen-Li Taylor we secured one in this name which expires in five years.

No questions, no hassles, no waiting.

Clayton