Pictures from the Closing Ceremony

Figure this will also be available on DVD very soon (as was the Opening). I hear through a highly unrealiable, unnamable source LeeFisher that you can get the DVD of the Opening with CCTV commentary (Chinese/English). Or you can get it from NBC with the expert American commetary :blink: .

It wasn't only foreigners who had translation troubles in China at the Olympics... :baby:

Chongqing Idioms Forbidden during Olympics

Two Chongqing tourists A and B arrived at Beijing. On a bus, A looked at the map and said, "Lets first kill to Tiananmen, then Chairman Mao's Memorial, then Zhongnanhai." B answered, "Good, we'll do what you said, kill all the way along this route." (Chongqing idiom: "kill the way" ɱ¹ýÈ¥ means "go there.") Alarmed Beijing passengers reported their dialogue to the police and the two Chongqing men were arrested as soon as they got off the bus.

After several hours interrogation and detention in the police station, they were released. Walking to the Tiananmen Square, the two men kept silent. They just looked at each other and sighed. At last, A said to B, "Why don't you shoot?" B replied, "You didn't shoot, why do I dare to shoot?" (Chongqing idiom: "shoot" ¿ªÇ» means "talk.") Before they knew their arms were twisted by plain-clothes police.

A week later the two Chongqing men came out of the detention house. They looked at each other. A said, "This is good. My pockets are all empty. Where should we go to get some bullets?" (Chongqing idiom: "bullet" ×Óµ¯ means "money.") The armed guards at the gate charged up and pinned them down on the ground.

Eventually, the Public Security Bureau issued a nationwide notice: "Chongqing idioms are strictly forbidden during the Beijing Olympics."

:lol: :D :toot: