"This Could Explode Somewhere..."

I recall one of Joanne's posts ... She mentioned that if one has a child with an unattractive birth-mark, that the family isn't going to expend it's energy drawing attention to it.

I recall Americans this way too..well a long time ago.

I know a Chinese (Beijing) friend who was named for her birthmark (that's as much of the story that I got)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think Roger shows his love for China and his Chinese better half by making the posts he does. Pretty much nobody else is doing it. If he hated China he wouldn't even be here making these kinds of posts. If you can point out the problems and injustices, and still carry love and hope for a place... it seems more of a true love to me (much like 2 people in a relationship knowing each other's faults and shortcomings and still loving each other) while blind sinophilia which motivates one to attempt to shoot down, dodge, belittle, or deny any negative comments about China whatsoever seems less genuine love and more like obsession (to continue the relationship comparison, much like someone who puts their lover on a pedestal and pretends they are flawless because they either feel unworthy themselves, or are incapable of loving a flawed human being and need an illusion of perfection).

I think in an imperfect world that pretty much goes for any form of love, except (if you are religious) the love of god - but that is a different discussion entirely.

Without Roger's kind of posts showing up and sparking discussion over some of China's warts, this section would have a lot less meaning and substance I think.

:D :cheering:

Nice post Jason.

I was going to mention something about some of the same old people distorting comments made by others to fit their own paranoid vision of what goes on here. But you said it much better so I wont. :toot:

AGREE!

China is a developing country, Even super developed country like America has poor people.So...

my parents works in small countryside town, I am raised in a poor where the family monthly income is 700 RMB when i was in primary school :lol: We were very happy, I was satified and excited to get 0.5 kuai to buy ice-cream, honestly happy and satisfied, and I experienced my parent's salary increased from 100/month when I was born to some thousands per month now and still increasing. Isn't that inprovement? :lol:

It's great to have your voice here Wendy as a woman who is from the country. If you don't already know you will discover that the great majority of our wives are urban women...

And I'm pleased as punch that your family is doing well in their small town... :D But there were 50,000 protests in China last year, most of them in rural areas over the issues of concern...Let me give a couple of examples. Suppose that your families' land, and many others, are needed for a new GOLF COURSE... :o :angry: Your family gets not nearly enough compensation for their property that was their livelihood but the local party officials all have new Mercedes... :huh: Or imagine that your family grows rubber trees in southern Yunnan province and now all growers MUST sell to a government controlled entity at far lower prices than could be gotten on the open market...but the local party officials all build new villas... :blink:

This is one reason I kept my mouth shut. I cann't represent all Chinese. But why can you (not you personally, power of English word :D ) make so much remarks about China? :P

Joanne by your reasoning we must sit on our hands and not comment on anything... :shutup2:

We have all been to China, we can read widely and deeply about it, we can use our minds to draw our own conclusions... :V:

At lease, I don't tell you that you don't know everything about China. :rolleyes:

As for the number of protest. I don't know who made the statistics, but it is a believable figure.

Google result shows me:

"In 1998, China began to streamline its primary levels of government. By the end of 2003, 25 provinces had accomplished their task of cutting the number of towns/townships. The total number of towns and townships was reduced from 46,400 to 39,000, 7,400 less than five years ago."

50,000 amounts to slightly over 1 protest per town per year.

Is this a large number? Is it because the Chinese government suppressed people's voice so that they could not hold protests as much as they like? Such as in front of white house, at lease once per day. :D

Guest ShaQuaNew

At lease, I don't tell you that you don't know everything about China. :rolleyes:

As for the number of protest. I don't know who made the statistics, but it is a believable figure.

Google result shows me:

"In 1998, China began to streamline its primary levels of government. By the end of 2003, 25 provinces had accomplished their task of cutting the number of towns/townships. The total number of towns and townships was reduced from 46,400 to 39,000, 7,400 less than five years ago."

Is this a large number? Is it because the Chinese government suppressed people's voice so that they could not hold protests as much as they like? Such as in front of white house, at lease once per day. :D

Great numbers and insight Joanne :o . Surely the Chinese government exerts strong effort to suppress protests, especially those attempting to promote civil unrest. Lan was telling me that the local police of all provinces were given the task to keep order withing their prospective towns and regions. We're not likely to see any explosions any time soon. That is not to say that there are not a lot of unhappy people. Still, by comparison to the total population, it's quite small when spread across the entire country of China.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

AGREE!

China is a developing country, Even super developed country like America has poor people.So...

my parents works in small countryside town, I am raised in a poor where the family monthly income is 700 RMB when i was in primary school :lol: We were very happy, I was satified and excited to get 0.5 kuai to buy ice-cream, honestly happy and satisfied, and I experienced my parent's salary increased from 100/month when I was born to some thousands per month now and still increasing. Isn't that inprovement? :lol:

It's great to have your voice here Wendy as a woman who is from the country. If you don't already know you will discover that the great majority of our wives are urban women...

And I'm pleased as punch that your family is doing well in their small town... :D But there were 50,000 protests in China last year, most of them in rural areas over the issues of concern...Let me give a couple of examples. Suppose that your families' land, and many others, are needed for a new GOLF COURSE... :o :angry: Your family gets not nearly enough compensation for their property that was their livelihood but the local party officials all have new Mercedes... :huh: Or imagine that your family grows rubber trees in southern Yunnan province and now all growers MUST sell to a government controlled entity at far lower prices than could be gotten on the open market...but the local party officials all build new villas... :blink:

This is one reason I kept my mouth shut. I cann't represent all Chinese. But why can you (not you personally, power of English word :D ) make so much remarks about China? :rolleyes:

Joanne by your reasoning we must sit on our hands and not comment on anything... :shutup2:

We have all been to China, we can read widely and deeply about it, we can use our minds to draw our own conclusions... :V:

At lease, I don't tell you that you don't know everything about China. :lol:

Google result shows me:

I would be the LAST person to try to say I know everything about China...NO ONE knows everything about China... :V:

But back to the protests... :huh: We are not talking about 6 people carrying signs in front of the White House saying "SAVE THE WOMBAT"... :blink: Some of these protests are of the people being killed variety... :ph34r:

AGREE!

This is one reason I kept my mouth shut. I cann't represent all Chinese. But why can you (not you personally, power of English word :D ) make so much remarks about China? :rolleyes:

Google result shows me:

I would be the LAST person to try to say I know everything about China...NO ONE knows everything about China... :V:

But back to the protests... :huh: We are not talking about 6 people carrying signs in front of the White House saying "SAVE THE WOMBAT"... :blink: Some of these protests are of the people being killed variety... :ph34r:

Is Prison break.. real?

AGREE!

And I'm pleased as punch that your family is doing well in their small town... :D But there were 50,000 protests in China last year, most of them in rural areas over the issues of concern...Let me give a couple of examples. Suppose that your families' land, and many others, are needed for a new GOLF COURSE... :D :angry: Your family gets not nearly enough compensation for their property that was their livelihood but the local party officials all have new Mercedes... :huh: Or imagine that your family grows rubber trees in southern Yunnan province and now all growers MUST sell to a government controlled entity at far lower prices than could be gotten on the open market...but the local party officials all build new villas... :blink:

Google result shows me:

I would be the LAST person to try to say I know everything about China...NO ONE knows everything about China... :o

Is Prison break.. real?

:V:

Is Prison break.. real?

Yes they are! That's why you see signs around prisons that say, "Do not pick up hitchhikers".

In some cases, prisoners have taken over prisons and had to be locked inside with no one else allowed inside until the guards could gain control again.

Is Prison break.. real?

Yes they are! That's why you see signs around prisons that say, "Do not pick up hitchhikers".

In some cases, prisoners have taken over prisons and had to be locked inside with no one else allowed inside until the guards could gain control again.

I mean TV series Prison Break. The government is a Company! and Kill Michael's family and set them in. :huh:

Is Prison break.. real?

I mean TV series Prison Break. The government is a Company! and Kill Michael's family and set them in. :blink:

Wendy - No, It's a TV Show - a work of fiction. Brought to you for entertainment value. Is it as good as your favorite KTV? Only you can answer that..