Xiang Liu

Dennis, I am not here to tease you, Don't be afraid...

Liu Xiang is not lose face if he is really get broken ankle. Honestly I was alittle disappointed while hearing the news.

I don't like the way he just leave...

Olympic spirit.

In 1968 Mexico City Olympics, Tanzania Yihawali players were injured in the marathon, when he a bandage, towing the bloodshed in the leg hardly crossed the finish line, has been nearly four hours after the shoots, all the audience rose to the Braves expressed the highest respect, the thunderous applause for a long time. at last Yihawali said: "I am sent here by mother country here 7,000 miles from here,not only let me to start competition, but also let me to finish the race¡­¡­" his name and this sentence from the history of the Olympic Games become a Classic.

Edited by WenDylanforever (see edit history)

Dennis, I am not here to tease you, Don't be afraid...

Liu Xiang is not lose face if he is really get broken ankle. Honestly I was alittle disappointed while hearing the news.

I don't like the way he just leave...

Olympic spirit.

In 1968 Mexico City Olympics, Tanzania Yihawali players were injured in the marathon, when he a bandage, towing the bloodshed in the leg hardly crossed the finish line, has been nearly four hours after the shoots, all the audience rose to the Braves expressed the highest respect, the thunderous applause for a long time. at last Yihawali said: "I am sent here by mother country here 7,000 miles from here,not only let me to start competition, but also let me to finish the race¡­¡­" his name and this sentence from the history of the Olympic Games become a Classic.

The Olympic spirit can be strong, but one must also be smart. Liu Xiang could have run on his ankle/leg damaging it bad enough that he could never run in any competition again. It is smart to not run and be able race another day. The brave style finishes usually happen when the athlete will never compete again at this level.

Well, was it?

I think that's a hard question for us foreigners to answer, even if we are married/engaged to Chinese men/women. My first reaction would be "Of course not, he did his best and just couldn't continue. That's nothing to be ashamed of." But that comes from a completely practical,sympathetic American perspective of "It's not whether you win or lose..."

I can't say whether Liu feels he has lost face or whether any of his countrymen or women feel that way. Didn't someone post an example just recently of a Chinese athlete who lost in some competition and got letters saying that their country had done so much for them, spent so much money on them etc and they had let it down? Does the average Chinese person think that he should have tried no matter what the cost? And since he didn't go until collapse he lost face? I dunno. Great question Dennis.

If all he had to do was run, he could have run (or walked) as slowly as he needed to to finish.

But he also would have had to jump the hurdles, which could have done some serious damage

I understand that's a pretty tricky part of the body to get fixed once it goes. Look for this man in some US hospital with a top NFL/NBA level sports surgeons working on him in the future.

I was chatting with my daughter, currently in China, this morning and she brought up Liu Xiang. She wanted to know if his injury had gotten any bad press in the US. (Not to my knowledge)

She mentioned that some Chinese were saying that he was afraid to compete and faked his injury and this was causing controversy in the Chinese media.

I was chatting with my daughter, currently in China, this morning and she brought up Liu Xiang. She wanted to know if his injury had gotten any bad press in the US. (Not to my knowledge)

She mentioned that some Chinese were saying that he was afraid to compete and faked his injury and this was causing controversy in the Chinese media.

That's a shame. :ph34r:

Perhaps if they saw the video of him kicking the wall under the stadium in frustration when he realized he couldn't run they might not judge him so harshly.