China gymnastics gets too much bad rap!

Both IOC and FIG investigated the age complaint and cleared the athletes to compete, if anyone has evidence to the contrary produce it to the IOC and FIG.

Do you really think the IOC and FIG took a good long, hard look at this issue involving the host country,especially THIS host country, in the run-up to these Olympics? Do you really think they did any real digging? I don't.

I think they found what they needed to find in order to spare China any embarrassment and for the IOC/FIG to be able to say they investigated and put it behind them.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both IOC and FIG investigated the age complaint and cleared the athletes to compete, if anyone has evidence to the contrary produce it to the IOC and FIG.

Do you really think the IOC and FIG took a good long, hard look at this issue involving the host country,especially THIS host country, in the run-up to these Olympics? Do you really think they did any real digging? I don't.

I think they found what they needed to find in order to spare China any embarrassment and for the IOC/FIG to be able to say they investigated and put it behind them.

What they did is obvious - they looked at the passports and saw the birthdates that were printed. There is plenty of evidence, both here and other places, that they competed at the ages of 12 and 13 less than 2 years ago.

If the IOC doesn't want to look, they won't.

Guest Rob & Jin

What they did is obvious - they looked at the passports and saw the birthdates that were printed. There is plenty of evidence, both here and other places, that they competed at the ages of 12 and 13 less than 2 years ago.

case closed I think, they cheated and won. They got their medals , unfortunatly they got them through cheating, doesn't matter whether its through drugs, age or holy water- cheating is cheating.

You win a medel or whatever that way, thats what it gets remembered as- cheating.

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

"Personally I'm getting pretty sick of the American arrogance, especially the Russian-American arrogance, that claims everyone cheated as an explanation for them not earning the Gold, but you'll notice the coach and commentator husband have everything to lose if American parents think they can't produce Gold medal winners at their Texas training camp."

Bella was actually born in Romania, not Russia.

I guess if I was one of the men who competed in the floor exercises and scored under a 15 for not sticking the landing after having an otherwise terrific routine, and then saw a woman land on her knees in a vault and still score well over 15 I would wonder if there was a bias.

Guest Rob & Jin

"Personally I'm getting pretty sick of the American arrogance, especially the Russian-American arrogance, that claims everyone cheated as an explanation for them not earning the Gold, but you'll notice the coach and commentator husband have everything to lose if American parents think they can't produce Gold medal winners at their Texas training camp."

Bella was actually born in Romania, not Russia.

I guess if I was one of the men who competed in the floor exercises and scored under a 15 for not sticking the landing after having an otherwise terrific routine, and then saw a woman land on her knees in a vault and still score well over 15 I would wonder if there was a bias.

floor, beam, horse, rings etc all score differenty, they are not scored the same, oranges to apples. :P

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

:lol: My wife was always cheering on Michael Phelps during his swimming matches in these olympics. It had to be my jealousy rage kicking in that made me start despising michael lol. Every night of hearing her scream "MICHAEL MICHAEL" Lol.

Well I gotta hand it to the boy, he sure wasn't a fluke. Some ppl win some and they make a big deal out of it but I guess I can see why Michael is so popular in USA.

kUDOS to him!!

Rumor has it that Phelps is the product of a laison between a fisherman and a mermaid and has webbed fingers and toes... :ph34r:

A very well toned body too. The guy has a very muscular upper body.

Rumor has it that Phelps is the product of a laison between a fisherman and a mermaid and has webbed fingers and toes... :ph34r:

Damn near ... as I recall he has size 14 feet, not really huge, BUT his ankles flex considerably more than the normal human making them extra efficient flippers. Then there's that wingspan of his ...

That's just wrong. I think the media always has to come up with something controversial to get a big story.

Media scum.

You're right about reporters being scum.

I saw a local report this morning commenting about a group of children dressed in ethnic costumes to represent the regions of China during the Opening of the games.

The reporter said they were all "Hans" and not ethnic children.

The reporter is an ABC.

I triple agree! lol. If there is such a thing that exists lol. Go China girls. They are soooooooooooo adorable and cute. They look like little dolls. I wish I can pinch their cheeks LOL. :ph34r:

Truly Jesse, Bigguy's post was over the top and not even worth comment, IMO.

Perhaps there are times when ignoring such assinine commentary might be appropriate. IMO this wasn't one of those times.....

:lol:

I am tired of the arguments about the Chinese girls. They did a great job, and won rightfully so... the better Olympic performers in my modest opinion. I am sad that we did not get gold, but no use crying over spilt milk. :roller:

I super totally UNANIMOUSLY agree with you Lee.

I think there is a ton of arrogance flying around, specifically in my view, the US NEWSCASTERS and the media.

The travesty continued in the scoring that produced a "tie" on uneven bars .... sigh

Just my opinion of course.

But you're right the US should just quit the Olympics and anything associated with FIG and start up their own games where they can dictate the rules and modify them based on their performance.

It doesn't matter that the rules were put into place after the last Olympics it's just not fair if you lost the tiebreaker and are American. It doesn't matter that the judges could not be from the competing countries and what was left in the pool had much less experience in judging the sport, yeah we should have had good old Americans judging the competition. It doesn't matter that the NBC commentator decided to judge the games on who they thought should have won because anything less would be un-American or un-Russian-American.

Personally I'm getting pretty sick of the American arrogance, especially the Russian-American arrogance, that claims everyone cheated as an explanation for them not earning the Gold, but you'll notice the coach and commentator husband have everything to lose if American parents think they can't produce Gold medal winners at their Texas training camp.

But then I guess Americans are the only ones fit to win anything because their better than everyone else.... :ph34r:

Edited by spacebar (see edit history)

:ph34r: If it ain't American it's Crap! :lol:

:roller: If Americans' lose it's cuz someone Cheated! :bangin:

Cmon Bob. That's a HUGE over-simplification of the arguments being made here. Some of those making the argument that cheating went on can hardly be considered among the "Rah Rah USA!!" crowd.

Some of us have already conceded that the Chinese women out-performed the US gymnasts head-to-head, at least in some cases. The point is that the rules are there for EVERYONE. Pointing out that there's evidence that one side or the other didn't follow all those rules is not sour grapes or "Everyone else sucks but the USA", it's just dealing with the reality of the situation.

Cheating or not. They simply outbested the US athletes. A great athlete will be able to come out on top.

http://img02.beijing2008.cn/20080818/Img214559809.jpg

case closed I think, they cheated and won. They got their medals , unfortunatly they got them through cheating, doesn't matter whether its through drugs, age or holy water- cheating is cheating.

You win a medel or whatever that way, thats what it gets remembered as- cheating.

I just don't see how they cheated. Age, big deal. They lost. Had USA won, would it have been any more controversial?

I for one don't support cheating and do not believe cheating was involved.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/mm/photo/olympiczone/general/23/24/58/232458_m03.jpg

Cheating or not. They simply outbested the US athletes. A great athlete will be able to come out on top.

That's quite an endorsement. :rolleyes: