The Great Leap Forward...

Mao wanted to bring China's steel industry to be on par with the west. He set unrealistic goals which resulted in many farmers leaving the fields to go make steel. Much of the steel was poorly made making it worthless and many farms were sitting idle. As Wendy pointed out some natural disasters only made a bad situation worse. There were many factors which contriuted to the famine. To blame it all on Mao is not accurate.

I had post in the other topic. my country is really develop the economic since after late 1970s. and yes i know "The Great Leap Forward ', It is another blot in our history.

I will share my understanding of this history, I might be wrong. and Please forgive my chinglish.. I might not able to write what I intend to. I try my best.

The leader made bad decision on economic. and then bad luck enough to face 3 years natural disaster. The Soviet Union pull down Stalin (Well, to make it short,here it is another history) and his political contestation break the friendship with China.So the export was mainly to Soviet Union to pay the loan we owed. I am sad why we do not seek help from the other country, and I try to see what is the international relationship at that time. However, that time China is isolated.You know Cold War. North korean war was just finish, American and Euro was not friendly to us(North Atlantic Treaty Organization). East Euro was with Former Soviet Union.... You know communist was not welcomed. let alone at the period 1950s.

more than the'Great Leap Forward there was culture revolution.. or what you may remind me.

I wouldn't say bad about Mao, as he is gone.I hope him rest and peace now, and it is meaningless to critizise him myself, I quote the saying," Leadership takes more than it's fair share of the credit and more than the fair share of the blame." He saved china from a disintegration. It is not like we are blind of our history.

P.S we are not banned this history in china. You can find alot of information on internet. but i will delete my post very soon.

Why would you delete this Wendy??? It is always great to hear from our Chinese members who have so much more real experience and knowledge about China than us westerners... :unsure:

What I thought most crazy about this time was the drive to melt down every piece of metal in sight to PRODUCE more steel... :blink: Those with any kind of knowledge of the process knew it was crazy but when an edict came down from on high it was obeyed... :ph34r:

It was a long ago time now when we look at the powerhouse economy that China has become but I think it is always beneficial to know history...The good and the bad... :D :angry:

Hi, I said it was a very bad econimic decision. any chinese who is interest in history can find the related information. sure we are not print alot of book and print newspaper to advise what we had done wrong as you won't post on CFL if you slap your wife last night. :ph34r: the steel thing is part of "The Great Leap Forward ', I watched the movie "To Live." and I love it, it is 90%reflect our history i would say. I was finding the english version to send to Dylan. but not found yet.. The movie is from Zhang yi mou too.

Edited by WenDylanforever (see edit history)

Mao wanted to bring China's steel industry to be on par with the west. He set unrealistic goals which resulted in many farmers leaving the fields to go make steel. Much of the steel was poorly made making it worthless and many farms were sitting idle. As Wendy pointed out some natural disasters only made a bad situation worse. There were many factors which contriuted to the famine. To blame it all on Mao is not accurate.

fair opinion.

I had post in the other topic. my country is really develop the economic since after late 1970s. and yes i know "The Great Leap Forward ', It is another blot in our history.

I will share my understanding of this history, I might be wrong. and Please forgive my chinglish.. I might not able to write what I intend to. I try my best.

The leader made bad decision on economic. and then bad luck enough to face 3 years natural disaster. The Soviet Union pull down Stalin (Well, to make it short,here it is another history) and his political contestation break the friendship with China.So the export was mainly to Soviet Union to pay the loan we owed. I am sad why we do not seek help from the other country, and I try to see what is the international relationship at that time. However, that time China is isolated.You know Cold War. North korean war was just finish, American and Euro was not friendly to us(North Atlantic Treaty Organization). East Euro was with Former Soviet Union.... You know communist was not welcomed. let alone at the period 1950s.

more than the'Great Leap Forward there was culture revolution.. or what you may remind me.

I wouldn't say bad about Mao, as he is gone.I hope him rest and peace now, and it is meaningless to critizise him myself, I quote the saying," Leadership takes more than it's fair share of the credit and more than the fair share of the blame." He saved china from a disintegration. It is not like we are blind of our history.

P.S we are not banned this history in china. You can find alot of information on internet. but i will delete my post very soon.

Why would you delete this Wendy??? It is always great to hear from our Chinese members who have so much more real experience and knowledge about China than us westerners... :unsure:

What I thought most crazy about this time was the drive to melt down every piece of metal in sight to PRODUCE more steel... :blink: Those with any kind of knowledge of the process knew it was crazy but when an edict came down from on high it was obeyed... :ph34r:

It was a long ago time now when we look at the powerhouse economy that China has become but I think it is always beneficial to know history...The good and the bad... :D :angry:

Hi, I said it was a very bad econimic decision. any chinese who is interest in history can find the related information. but you know, sure we are not print alot of book and print newspaper to advise what we had done wrong as you won't post on CFL if you slap your wife last night. :ph34r: the steel thing is part of "The Great Leap Forward ', I watched the movie "To Live." and I love it, it is 90%reflect our history i would say. I was finding the english version to send to Dylan. but not found yet.. The movie is from Zhang yi mou too.

Yes I recommended "To Live" in my OP. I believe it is only available with sub-titles and I think it should be required viewing for every member here... :D

yes, I want to find the sub-title one, It is only available at very cool DVD shop.

here is the link to watch the movie on internet but no english sub-title

http://v.ku6.com/show/Pi4bRtB4qmY3PL3f.html

Hey, It will be our chat room talk about things off topic "The Great Leap Forward' soon. should we lock to topic? or delete any post? I just notice we are talking about movie now... :unsure:

yes, I want to find the sub-title one, It is only available at very cool DVD shop.

here is the link to watch the movie on internet but no english sub-title

http://v.ku6.com/show/Pi4bRtB4qmY3PL3f.html

Hey, It will be our chat room talk about things off topic "The Great Leap Forward' soon. should we lock to topic? or delete any post? I just notice we are talking about movie now... :unsure:

Anything about China is kosher... :ph34r:

fair opinion.

warpedbored remind me of something...The Great Leap Forward also help to make a very bad environment and attitude among the society. let's say turgidity(somebody fit it a word) ???During that period, there were alot of fake report submited to the central leader which enlarged production value, I think that contribute to a worse result. As Chairmao might not realise the truth. and this phenomena is still affect to the society nowadays...

we had some inner political problem at that time as well.. the left and right thing I do not know how to say in english? anyway.. It was bad history. and will always be a lesson to my country.

To know more about this you might refer to a book "hungry ghost" by Jasper Becker.He states that alot of comments on The Great Leap Forward are from the foreigner who lived in HK. and actually those foreinger who really live in mainland china hold a different apinion. I just found introduction to this book on internet.

Good night all.

nobody have different opinion? ;)

I suspect that the history of The Great Leap Forward will not lead to a major debate anywhere least of all here...The facts are pretty clear although of course the leaders of China would deny them...I do quite a few threads that get few posts Wendy...They are of the informational type and I'm just happy to see that there are quite a few members like myself that are interested enough in learning about China to read them and their links... :D

You know I am so far past all the visa stuff and have participated in all the "regular" polls that come up "regularly"... :P so if I couldn't do my shtick here in the MK I'd probably be... :lol:

Oh and I only got up once last night... :P Sorry... :P

nobody have different opinion? :P

I suspect that the history of The Great Leap Forward will not lead to a major debate anywhere least of all here...The facts are pretty clear although of course the leaders of China would deny them...I do quite a few threads that get few posts Wendy...They are of the informational type and I'm just happy to see that there are quite a few members like myself that are interested enough in learning about China to read them and their links... :D

You know I am so far past all the visa stuff and have participated in all the "regular" polls that come up "regularly"... :P so if I couldn't do my shtick here in the MK I'd probably be... :lol:

Oh and I only got up once last night... :P Sorry... ;)

make it a prosperous MK. :P

I am glad you wake up once once :D

Oh and I only got up once last night... :P Sorry... :D

At least you can still get up!!! :P

Let's not go here Steve... :huh:

Hey thank god you are not my country leader. Otherwise you do not let me eat shrimp if you don't like :D

But laopo and I LOVE shrimp and all seafood and that's why we will be living in Qionghai, Hainan in the future... :P