pinyin software

thats why you need to speak chinese to understand the context if you see it together with du¨¬ you know it means ¾ø¶Ô or absolutely

Remember that pinyin is only understood by SOME (Okay most) Mandarin speakers. For the most part, you don't see it on web pages or in print.

So pinyin is typically used as a input method for Chinese characters, which are understood by most everyone in China.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats why you need to speak chinese to understand the context if you see it together with du¨¬ you know it means ¾ø¶Ô or absolutely

Remember that pinyin is only understood by SOME (Okay most) Mandarin speakers. For the most part, you don't see it on web pages or in print.

So pinyin is typically used as a input method for Chinese characters, which are understood by most everyone in China.

part of understanding the pronounciation is understanding pinyin. mandarin or P¨³ t¨­ng hu¨¤ is the common language in China. most everyone speaks it. even if they speak another dialect they understand the common language. almost everyone in china that speaks mandarin of my generation understand pinyin. its the stepping stone for hanzi

Edited by izus (see edit history)

thats what i said :cheering:

A pinyin input system typically does not recognize context - it will give you a list of Chinese characters, like the one I showed. You then would choose the appropriate one.

You seem to be inputting pinyin, and not worrying about the Chinese characters. Fine, but as far as I know, this is not in common usage.

thats what i said :unsure:

A pinyin input system typically does not recognize context - it will give you a list of Chinese characters, like the one I showed. You then would choose the appropriate one.

You seem to be inputting pinyin, and not worrying about the Chinese characters. Fine, but as far as I know, this is not in common usage.

so many reasons for learning pinyin and chinese

y¨¬n wei w¨¯ k¨§ y¨« g¨¥n w¨¯ de zh¨­ng gu¨® ji¨¡ r¨¦n shu¨­hu¨¤

all schools in China teach pinyin as part of understanding pronunciation. every child that goes through the public schools learns pinyin, its not only for inputing charcters

so many reasons for learning pinyin and chinese

y¨¬n wei w¨¯ k¨§ y¨« g¨¥n w¨¯ de zh¨­ng gu¨® ji¨¡ r¨¦n shu¨­hu¨¤

all schools in China teach pinyin as part of understanding (Mandarin) pronunciation. every child that goes through the public schools (today)learns pinyin, its not only for inputing charcters

The topic title - "pinyin software" refers to computers, as did your original post

does anyone know if there is a program out that types pinyin?

i mean with the tones over the vowels not the numbers at the end of the words.

and the post we WERE talking about

and actually without pinyin chinese computers would be impossible, plus by learning pinyin this is the next step to learning hanzi.

Nobody's going to argue against pinyin - this topic WAS about computers.

Yes, pinyin is good, and your program is useful.

:unsure: :ph34r: :ph34r: :angry: :blink: :D

everyone realize that pinyin accent is just for western wannabes...

Why not bite the big one and just type IME simplified... wouldn't you rather learn the character anyways?

:D :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

sorry Randy it all started from the trouble maker Davids comment... :unsure:

sorry Randy it all started from the trouble maker Davids comment... :angry:

Well, make that everyone except David then. :(

Seriously, I think pinyin could help standardize pronunciations across China, except that that there are regional variations in it and the way it's pronounce - "s" vs "sh" vs "x", and "y" vs "r", for example.

One reason I'm not trying to learn Chinese is that my wife's accent is different from what's on the CD's.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Seriously, I think pinyin could help standardize pronunciations across China, except that that there are regional variations in it and the way it's pronounce - "s" vs "sh" vs "x", and "y" vs "r", for example.

One reason I'm not trying to learn Chinese is that my wife's accent is different from what's on the CD's.

but if you learn the common language everyone can pretty much understand you.

my wfie told me everyone is taught mandarin in grade school its just they have forgotten it due to the fact of not using it.

Edited by izus (see edit history)

Yep as I suspected this tread would be better off in the Chinese, ESL, and "pin yin" forum.

Communications, planes, shipping forum has more to do with how to call, email, instant msg, mail, ship, and travel to and from China.

but if you learn the common language everyone can pretty much understand you.

my wfie told me everyone is taught mandarin in grade school its just they have forgotten it due to the fact of not using it.

But would a Cantonese speaker recognize "yi" as meaning "yat"?

I think Mandarin is common enough that once you learn it, you're not going to forget it. Cantonese speakers are pretty lively when talking amongst themselves - I don't think it'll die anytime soon.

I am studying mandarin and pinyin is very helpful for me to relate what I am learning in Mandarin to what I know in English, I use a language software called fluenz which uses pinyin as one of the key learning tools, IMO it is much easier and efficent way of learning Mandarin than audio lessons alone, plus the pinyin helps with understanding the tone marks and pronunciation. :angry:

it is much easier and efficent way of learning Mandarin than audio lessons alone, plus the pinyin helps with understanding the tone marks and pronunciation. :)

i agree 100%

I am studying mandarin and pinyin is very helpful for me to relate what I am learning in Mandarin to what I know in English, I use a language software called fluenz which uses pinyin as one of the key learning tools, IMO it is much easier and efficent way of learning Mandarin than audio lessons alone, plus the pinyin helps with understanding the tone marks and pronunciation. :D

Yeah, but when she makes fun of me for saying "ren", instead of "yen" (for people), that's when I hang it up! Time for her to learn English! :lol: :rolleyes:

I am studying mandarin and pinyin is very helpful for me to relate what I am learning in Mandarin to what I know in English, I use a language software called fluenz which uses pinyin as one of the key learning tools, IMO it is much easier and efficent way of learning Mandarin than audio lessons alone, plus the pinyin helps with understanding the tone marks and pronunciation. :P

Yeah, but when she makes fun of me for saying "ren", instead of "yen" (for people), that's when I hang it up! Time for her to learn English! :Dah: :angry:

that sucks :lol:

the r is one of the most difficult letters to pronounce correctly in any language.