Forces that are Incompatible with Authoritarian Rule...

The main point of my post is I don't believe the US should be meddling in other countries affairs. Especially telling China how they should run their own country. China is changing at it's own pace. Can you tell me with any confidence that the people of China in general are not better off than they were 30 years ago?

In my view, this is one of the most important observations and statements in this entire thread.

It should be. He thought about it for a month and a half. :angry:

Lol, believe it or not I just got around to reading it today. I don't have a long enough memory span to think about something for a month and a half.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main point of my post is I don't believe the US should be meddling in other countries affairs. Especially telling China how they should run their own country. China is changing at it's own pace. Can you tell me with any confidence that the people of China in general are not better off than they were 30 years ago?

In my view, this is one of the most important observations and statements in this entire thread.

It should be. He thought about it for a month and a half. :D

Lol, believe it or not I just got around to reading it today. I don't have a long enough memory span to think about something for a month and a half.

:rolleyes: Neither do I.

Guest Mike and Lily

It should be. He thought about it for a month and a half. :rolleyes:

Some politicians are proposing exactly that in order to influence trade policy. Meddling in the internal matters of other countries as a tool of trade policy is a real bad mistake IMO.

Can you tell me with any confidence that the people of China in general are not better off than they were 30 years ago?

Talking about "the people of China in general" is quite meaningless... :o For the thousands that have gotten very rich since reforms began it has been a great ride indeed... :D For the millions who have moved into a middle-class life style things are good... :)

BUT... :rolleyes:

For young women who have to sell their bodies to afford an education...For the thousands of babies suffering in hospitals with kidney stones...For most everyone breathing in unafe air every day...For the many who die or are maimed every year working in unsafe conditions in mines and factories...For the rural people who have no access to clean water or health care...For those who have lost their land to unscrupulous local officials...And for so many other victims of the unchecked greed of so many in power and authority...Not "better off" in the least... :D

For young women who have to sell their bodies to afford an education...

Is that a tax deduction education payment? :D

----

I don't know how I missed this thread for so long except that I don't pay any attention to anything [mini-mod] Roger post's anymore :o :D

But sometimes comparing east to west is just not going to align with the stars... One has to take it relative to their own situation; were they better off than 30 years ago in china?

Even this comes with alot of [western] bias; the eastern world would probably say that no interpretation of societal change *should* be measured less than 200 years! :)

but since we in the glorious west like to measure things by each generational change (Baby Boomers >> Echo Boomers >> Post-Echo Boomers... the last group is the 'yo yo whas up' boomers)...

ok... that's unfair... we like to measure it by day to day soundbites from spin doctors about the economy or whatever else is about to flush down the pristinely porclein toilet...

(but "americans are the hardest most dedicated workers in the world"... I wonder how the rest of the world feels about such a presumptuous, ego-filling "fix"... If I hear that one more time, I'll throw up... until the next fix...).

WTF was this thread about... ok.. reading again... Roger started it... ok.. meaningless... so why did I post...not sure any more....

ok... now I remember... must be the Spaten Octoberfest... only comes out once a year... what a great beer... try it before it's gone... till next year.

Anyway, the sportscaster Bob Costa was interviewed and asked his impressions of the Olympics and specifically about China :rolleyes:

His response was incredibly objective and downright profound... I wish I had it recorded. He basically said [after some pause]: The chinese are pragmatic and ?attentive? to the smallest detail... and then went on about how awestruck he was with their history, culture and impact on a global scale...

I felt as if he were trying to paraphrase Napoleon's famous quote of: "China is a sleeping giant. Let her lie and sleep, for when she awakens she will astonish the world.¡±

ok... now I remember... must be the Spaten Octoberfest... only comes out once a year... what a great beer... try it before it's gone... till next year.

A co-worker was telling me about a guy he knows who drives a beer delivery truck for Miller...and usually at this time of year he would be delivering about 500-600 cases a week...and with the bad economy and people cutting back on everything you would expect it to be much worse... :( turns out he's delivering 1,000 cases a week now... :beer:

Seems you just can't cut back on the essentials... :beer: :beer: :beer:

And it must be a very slow time here also when both you and Carl are reduced to not just reading my threads but even posting... :sleep1:

A co-worker was telling me about a guy he knows who drives a beer delivery truck for Miller...and usually at this time of year he would be delivering about 500-600 cases a week...and with the bad economy and people cutting back on everything you would expect it to be much worse... :( turns out he's delivering 1,000 cases a week now... :beer:

Seems you just can't cut back on the essentials... :beer: :beer: :(

And it must be a very slow time here also when both you and Carl are reduced to not just reading my threads but even posting... :beer:

That's good... as the populus are spoon-feed that the economy is tanking.... they pull money from WaMu and tank the bank... and spend it on drinking excessive amounts of beer so the GNP stays high and no "recession" can be classified.

Today I heard (I was interested in it because I am in auto crash data): That the HIGHEST crash rates, without alcohol involvement... is when? drumroll please... at election time :o

People are randomly running their car into other people, completely sober... due to the idea of who will be the next [*]... can't say that word or it becomes political :sleep1:

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Seems you just can't cut back on the essentials... :beer: :beer: :(

And it must be a very slow time here also when both you and Carl are reduced to not just reading my threads but even posting... :beer:

That's good... as the populus are spoon-feed that the economy is tanking.... they pull money from WaMu and tank the bank... and spend it on drinking excessive amounts of beer so the GNP stays high and no "recession" can be classified.

Today I heard (I was interested in it because I am in auto crash data): That the HIGHEST crash rates, without alcohol involvement... is when? drumroll please... at election time :(

People are randomly running their car into other people, completely sober... due to the idea of who will be the next [*]... can't say that word or it becomes political :sleep1:

Wasn't it Confucius who said??? :o

BEER WILL GET YOU THROUGH TIMES OF NO MONEY BETTER THAN MONEY WILL GET YOU THROUGH TIMES OF NO BEER... :P

Guest ShaQuaNew

Anyway, the sportscaster Bob Costa was interviewed and asked his impressions of the Olympics and specifically about China :rolleyes:

His response was incredibly objective and downright profound... I wish I had it recorded. He basically said [after some pause]: The chinese are pragmatic and ?attentive? to the smallest detail... and then went on about how awestruck he was with their history, culture and impact on a global scale...

I felt as if he were trying to paraphrase Napoleon's famous quote of: "China is a sleeping giant. Let her lie and sleep, for when she awakens she will astonish the world.¡±

I don't think it's so much that China has ever been sleeping, as much as the rest of the world has.

Anyway, the sportscaster Bob Costa was interviewed and asked his impressions of the Olympics and specifically about China :)

I don't think it's so much that China has ever been sleeping, as much as the rest of the world has.

I agree... considering the west had their foot in the forbidden door during the Qing Dynasty... and western religious moralism got in the way( catholic church).... nothing against them really.... the pope thought he knew best at the time... and the "rites controversy" ensued... and well... as they say.... the rest is history... and it's still in the making.

Tibet

Did somebody mention... :huh: Tibet... :ph34r: ???

Two Guardian reporters were allowed in and made this video 6 months after the riots...Is it "There is no freedom here" or "The last 5 years have seen the greatest growth" ???

:unsure:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2008/oct/01/tibet

"You have the guns...I have a pen"

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/woeser-09302008132134.html

A beautiful piece on the Chinese poet Woeser... :D