Just got an RFE ...

Well, we went to apply for PRC visas today for tourist visas for my daughter and myself (my wife is a US permanent resident, still has her passport). We applied for multiple entry 1 year visas.

We were asked for my daughters birth certificate, and a copy. No problem, we prepared them.

Then we were asked for my wife's passport and a copy. Again, no problem, even gave them a copy of her green card.

Then we were asked for a copy of our marriage license, and a copy. Again, no problem, we prepared that.

Then we were asked for a copy of our flight tickets. We gave a copy of our itinerary, which apparently was good enough.

Finally, however, we were then asked for our "invitation letter." I said we're staying at her (my wife's house).

The girl said you still need an invitation letter since you're visiting friends/family (one of the two reasons listed on our applications - the other being "tourism").

I said well, I'm visiting her, can she write the letter?

No. The letter has to come from China.

Well we won't have enough time for the letter to get here.

This is one of the basic requirements; if you don't have the letter, you don't have to go to China.

Well, what if we just go for tourism, and not to visit friends.

Then you have to give me your hotel bookings.

But I'm staying in the house my wife owns.

Then you need an invitation letter.

But I'm going with her.

No one is stopping her from going to China. She's a Chinese citizen. She can go without a problem. It's only the other two people that require an invitation letter.

Can she write it now?

No, it has to come from someone in China. We have to know the address.

The address is written right there on the application.

That's just something you wrote. It has to come from China for proof. (Note: The irony here is not lost on me, given China's problems with plagiarism and counterfeiting.)

Can it be faxed?

Yes. Here's an information sheet (listing the invitation letter requirement, which says it has to be an original or a faxed copy).

How about email?

No, only regular mail or fax.

We then spoke to a "supervisor", who confirmed we needed the invitation letter, and that it could be faxed. I asked her when things became so difficult, and she said starting April of this year they put in new regulations, and that they weren't rejecting me, but that they needed the letter.

You know, I understand sticking by the guidelines, but given that I'm traveling with my wife, this seemed a little crazy to me. Also, I do know that they've beefed up requirements because of the Olympics - wanting to make sure that people have places to stay and what not, and I did see some notices about that on here, but again, I'm going with my wife and staying in the place she owns.

Anyway, we'll have an "invitation letter" written by my mother-in-law faxed to us tonight, so I can go back tomorrow. Good thing I didn't wait until the last, last minute (we're leaving the end of the month).

Guest Rob & Jin

CRAZY :blink:

So how would people visiting for the upcoming sports have a "invitation letter" as tourists.

note- dont say you are visiting/ staying with family, book a hotel then cancel it.

I think it will get better in a few months <_<

We used a visa service to deal with this. No invitation letter asked.

Did you have a hotel itinerary?

I contacted a travel agent in NY recommended by my new firm. The travel agent's requirements were stricter than the Consulates! (E.g., information about income and assets , etc.)

Went back today with an "invitation letter" from my wife's mother (at least in name ... nudge nudge, say no more) that was faxed from China. I was worried when the fax didn't show the number from which it was sent, but it seemed to satisfy the Consulate. We can pick up our visas on Wednesday.

They didn't like my picture though, so I had to retake it at the Consulate. They claimed mine was not clear enough. Go figure.

So how would people visiting for the upcoming sports have a "invitation letter" as tourists.

Well, the athletes I'm sure will have special visas, but as for spectators, they'll need to show a hotel itinerary, or an invite letter from a friend living in China. It's all rather silly. We always included that info for the visitor visas my wife (then girlfriend) and her mother got, but that was more for "additional evidence" rather than a "basic requirement".

note- dont say you are visiting/ staying with family, book a hotel then cancel it.

I think it will get better in a few months <_<

I'm sure it will, and booking a hotel is probably a better way to go, provided you don't have any booking fees to deal with.

We used a visa service to deal with this. No invitation letter asked.

Did you have a hotel itinerary?

I contacted a travel agent in NY recommended by my new firm. The travel agent's requirements were stricter than the Consulates! (E.g., information about income and assets , etc.)

Went back today with an "invitation letter" from my wife's mother (at least in name ... nudge nudge, say no more) that was faxed from China. I was worried when the fax didn't show the number from which it was sent, but it seemed to satisfy the Consulate. We can pick up our visas on Wednesday.

They didn't like my picture though, so I had to retake it at the Consulate. They claimed mine was not clear enough. Go figure.

We did this in June. The travel agent went to consulate in Huston. No need for hotel reservation. Just fill in my sister's address where we stay part of the time.

At that time, I have already heard about the change of regulation. However, the material we submitted to the agent was the same as a couple of years ago.

We did this in June. The travel agent went to consulate in Huston. No need for hotel reservation. Just fill in my sister's address where we stay part of the time.

At that time, I have already heard about the change of regulation. However, the material we submitted to the agent was the same as a couple of years ago.

Ah... that might explain the difference. I think different Consulates have different requirements, and actually the travel agent's website stated the NY Consulate was the only one that required bank statement information (which, was not required at all when we applied).

So are you guys living in Texas now? Tell Rich I say hi.

In 2005, I traveled into China as tourist, I had my travel agency provide me with a letter of invitation, they scanned and emailed it to me, I then printed it and included it with my visa petition.

In 2005, I traveled into China as tourist, I had my travel agency provide me with a letter of invitation, they scanned and emailed it to me, I then printed it and included it with my visa petition.

In December 2004 I traveled to China as a tourist. I filled out the form and paid my fee. That was it. No airline ticket. No invitation letter. No hotel reservations. Just the form and the fee.

In December 2004 I traveled to China as a tourist. I filled out the form and paid my fee. That was it. No airline ticket. No invitation letter. No hotel reservations. Just the form and the fee.

True, 2006 and 2007 I did not bother with letter of invite, and I doubt the one I provided in 2005 was actually needed, Letter of invite generally is required for business visas.

NOTE: Things have changed recently with Beijing Olympics, and they have reverted to requiring itinerary this lately.

I have always used this service; http://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html Referred to here: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/yisq/t169580.htm

True, 2006 and 2007 I did not bother with letter of invite, and I doubt the one I provided in 2005 was actually needed, Letter of invite generally is required for business visas.

NOTE: Things have changed recently with Beijing Olympics, and they have reverted to requiring itinerary this lately.

I have always used this service; http://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html Referred to here: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/yisq/t169580.htm

True ... it's the Olympics fault. But great games so far.

Anyway, I've always just gone to the Consulate myself (or, actually once, had my father drop off my passport for me).

The service recommended by my company was www.travisa.com. They have an office in NY; I called and they said to check their website for the requirements. I guess if I were still working and didn't have the time, I might go with them (or another agent), but it's easy enough to go to the Consulate myself right now. Anyway, if you check out travisa's requirements - they're stricter than the Consulates! Go figure. I guess they don't want you to be refused so have you give them EVERYTHING.

I noticed that I was 'kept track of' much more closely this summer than on previous visits to China.

Getting the visa was no problem, but...

The local Communist Party checked on us three times while I was staying at Li's house. The police wanted an additional copy of my visa. Every hotel we stayed at in Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Guangzhou copied my passport and searched my luggage.

While none of it was a big deal: None of that ever happened before.

It's probably due to heightened security for the Olympics.